Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla/J1772 adapter available from Tesla's website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure the reason the adapter cable is so long is to avoid putting too much stress/torque on the inlet mounting cup. If that gets popped off the body panel, it's a real pain to get a replacement glued back on in the right.

I'm sure you are right Tom. however, if the cord was about 10 to 15" then it could be pre bent to hang closely down the side of the car with a small microfiber protection on the J1772 side to protect against scratches. it could even have a small hanger that fit into the bottom of the connector well for extra support. this should minimize the torque stress on the car inlet and not having the connector lying on the ground. and it would fit in the depression in the trunk floor....... it would have been a more elegant solution. but maybe this can be done by cutting the cable and mounting a new J1772 or mennekes inlet on the shorter cable and then using the left over for a Mennekes <> J1772 converter..........

I just bought the $750 adapter. I'm planning on using this to secure the cable to the tire while charging.

Attachments

• iphone 003.jpg
    iphone 003.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 265
  • iphone 005.jpg
    iphone 005.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 234
Nothing that a pair of sharp tin snips couldn't make like work of (unfortunately).

A shame Tesla couldn't mold an eye into the female J1772 housing so that you could use a bike lock or something like that to loop around a spoke of the rear wheel.

I'm sure the reason the adapter cable is so long is to avoid putting too much stress/torque on the inlet mounting cup. If that gets popped off the body panel, it's a real pain to get a replacement glued back on in the right spot. Even the ones that come from the factory aren't always aligned perfectly. That's why I gave up on the idea of hacking or replacing the cup to improve the cable clearance of the J1772 conversion.

What about having a single part without the cable, but spring-loading it in the center so that it would bend if something bumped into rather than breaking the charge port off the car?

I just bought the $750 adapter. I'm planning on using this to secure the cable to the tire while charging.

Simple solution, Scott. Thanks! That's enough to deter the casual thief.

I'm not that worried about vandalism/theft. Unless the thread is buried somewhere, I haven't heard much about theft of cables for the copper from existing HPC chargers or vandalism. (Well, no more worried about it than I am about my car being keyed.) I'm just glad to have an adapter on the way, so I won't have to worry if a known HPC adapter has been changed to J1772.

One of our forum members made such a thing.
David Wegmuller's homepage :: J1772 Adapter
IMAG0309.jpg

I recall hearing someone (Tomsax?) mention that the Tesla connector is effectively glued to the carbon fiber body, so if the adapter tube got bumped or pulled on too much it could have enough leverage to possibly break the connector off of the car. Dwegmull : how is yours working out?
I built it mainly as a proof of concept. It uses the plug from an MC120, so it is technically limited to 16A. In practice, the short run of wires inside the adapter should be able to carry 24A without overheating. I am a bit worried about the extra leverage on the car's socket. I'm thinking of adding a padded leg that rests on the bottom of the air inlet just visible in the picture you included.
I have yet to come across a J1772 charger (I'm not exactly seeking them out...). I know a few people who are about to take delivery of LEAFs so I will probably do my first test at their place rather than a public charger... I will insert a thermocouple inside the adapter and keep an eye on temperature during the first test.

With the Roadster's range, I have yet to need a public charger. I think I will keep my TM socket in the car as it may become a "collector's item" ;-)

Early on, the rumor was that the Tesla adapter would be something like what dwegmull crafted. I'm assuming they had a good reason to not go that route since it would have been much nicer in several ways. Perhaps it's because of the leverage on the inlet mounting cup, or maybe it was a cost thing.

I brought up the adapter theft issue with Tesla in September, 2010. I know other owners brought it up as well. I was told Tesla doesn't think it's a concern. Their design indicates they don't think it's enough of a concern to do anything about it.

Obviously no one is going to steal one of these adapters to use it or sell it to a Roadster owner. Someone might steal it as a prank, or maybe for the copper. There have been a number of thefts of charger cords in California, presumably for the copper. At less than $3 per pound, the value of the copper in Tesla's adapter can't be much. It's probably not a big deal, but I'd rather not have to even think about having an adapter stolen.

It has always seemed to me that it would be rather easy to design a hinged sleeve that would have a small block mounted on the inner surface. The block would fit into the thumb switch slide area to prevent it from being slid back thus preventing removal of the connector from the vehicle or even just curious fingers from canceling your charge. The closure of the sleeve would just need tabs with holes for a small padlock.

Any interested designers?

It has always seemed to me that it would be rather easy to design a hinged sleeve that would have a small block mounted on the inner surface. The block would fit into the thumb switch slide area to prevent it from being slid back thus preventing removal of the connector from the vehicle or even just curious fingers from canceling your charge. The closure of the sleeve would just need tabs with holes for a small padlock.

Any interested designers?
I've been thinking along the same lines. I have the materials and tools available; I just don't have the time right now... My first attempt will probably a quick one, using 1/8" steel plate rolled and bent to shape with a block welded to the inner side and a couple of tabs with padlock holes welded to the outside.
A nicer design would be machined aluminum with a built-in lock.
Note that my short adapter was designed with the intention of putting a lock in it that would prevent the slider from being retracted.

A lock slot could have been included on one of the plugs, then all you would need is one of these:
213484250.jpg
518654_sk_lg.jpg

Come to think of it, there's an idea in here....an insulated clamp around the cable part and a steel cable with eyelets that can be padlocked through the spoke of the rear wheel:

im_1_00.jpg
RubberInsulatedCableClamps.jpg

Should be easy enough to make with low cost bits from the local hardware store. I know it could be defeated by someone wandering the streets with 6lb bolt-cutters...but seriously folks?

So who in the US is NOT buying one? And if not, is it because you don't like the design, the cost, or because you've converted your Roadster (or plan to convert your Roadster)?

I bought one approximately 30 seconds after receiving the email.
I'm not buying one. I don't take trips in my Roadster - it's strictly a commute vehicle and I have gobs of spare range on my commute (60 miles round trip) so no need to charge anywhere but home. Any trips would imply taking the wife and baby which makes the Roadster not the choice.

So my plan is to leave it Tesla until we get our Model S. By then I hope tomsax (or someone) has all the bugs worked out of a J1772 conversion so then I'll convert the Roadster and my UMC to J1772 and have both vehicles w/ a common connector.

Tesla adapter arrived

My adapter arrived today from Tesla, and it's much heavier and kludgier than I expected. The length certainly will keep the J1772 "nozzle" from scratching the side of the Roadster.

Yeah, it's overpriced, but I have to confess that I was getting J1772 envy. There are some public charging stations right now in Austin, and over 100 expected by the end of summer. The main thing is to get access to those _really_ nice parking places close by. (Why are they close? No one wants to run conduit under a parking lot to install a new charging station.)

I've got an earlier car (VIN 362), and heard from a service tech that my primitive and barely supported PEM should tolerate the adapter with only a few possible charing faults. He said to ignore them.