Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla is not publishing service bulletins, keeping them "secret" (per NHSTA complaint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, "keef" is a well known EV and green tech skeptic. He has been banned from a forum I personally moderate and the EEVBlog forum. You can just search his name and you'll find his postings on a lot of Tesla articles. My guess is the guy has some grievance with Tesla or energy saving technology. Whatever, if you don't respond to him he won't be a problem.

Is Tesla supposed to publish service bulletins? I thought that was an internal thing, not something we owners would see on a list anywhere. Service bulletins are not recalls.

There is nothing requiring them to publish them, but many car manufacturers do allow access to them (usually for a fee. $10 or $15 for 24 hours of access.). The service bulletins saved me a bunch of money on the two Prius because I could show them to the dealer and not get charged. (Typically, the Toyota dealers charge rather than look up to see that there was a service bulletin.)

There is nothing requiring them to publish them, but many car manufacturers do allow access to them (usually for a fee. $10 or $15 for 24 hours of access.). The service bulletins saved me a bunch of money on the two Prius because I could show them to the dealer and not get charged. (Typically, the Toyota dealers charge rather than look up to see that there was a service bulletin.)

I asked service if they automatically apply all service bulletins to a car. They said no, they only apply a service bulletin if a customer complains about something. Proactive repairs, like coolant pump replacements and contactor updates, are, of course, treated differently than service bulletins. I'm not entirely happy about this, because I would love my car to be updated to the most recent service bulletins, not just when I complain about something. For instance, during my last annual service, not a single service bulletin was applied. Last year, same thing. And I have a 2013 car, so I'm sure there are a number of service bulletins that could have been applied to my vehicle.

I asked service if they automatically apply all service bulletins to a car.

Sorry, I misread. As far as I am aware, no car company automatically applies service bulletins unless they are "special" or "recall". They are applied only if the customer complains. That's why access to the service bulletins is important from a consumer perspective.

Sorry, I misread. As far as I am aware, no car company automatically applies service bulletins unless they are "special" or "recall". They are applied only if the customer complains. That's why access to the service bulletins is important from a consumer perspective.

Thanks, it's good to know that other car companies operate the same way. I agree that it would be nice to know what TSBs are out there. I wouldn't want something to fail out of warranty that might have been updated to a newer and longer lasting component via TSB during the warranty period.

I asked service if they automatically apply all service bulletins to a car. They said no, they only apply a service bulletin if a customer complains about something. Proactive repairs, like coolant pump replacements and contactor updates, are, of course, treated differently than service bulletins. I'm not entirely happy about this, because I would love my car to be updated to the most recent service bulletins, not just when I complain about something. For instance, during my last annual service, not a single service bulletin was applied. Last year, same thing. And I have a 2013 car, so I'm sure there are a number of service bulletins that could have been applied to my vehicle.

This, plus know what has happened to my car previously, is why I still want the service records for my CPO. For instance, even though my car used to live in NY, it never got the defrost TSB. Who knows what else hasn't happened to it because I'm not allowed to see the history of my car prior to my ownership.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, it's good to know that other car companies operate the same way. I agree that it would be nice to know what TSBs are out there. I wouldn't want something to fail out of warranty that might have been updated to a newer and longer lasting component via TSB during the warranty period.

yobigd20 has an original windshield. He didn't know about the TSB to replace it until after he got past his warranty and thus, it's a paid replacement for him even though there is a TSB outlining replacement of the old windshield because of known problems.

Hell, sometimes not even when the customer complains. For example a software issue with BMW that only happens once a week. If they can't reproduce it at the dealership, no software update for you as "it would take all day".

edit - What century am I in???

Windshield replacements are not $1200... I had mine replaced back in Feb due to rock chips -- charge from Tesla was just over $900 (want to say $928, but was around there). I had Tesla do the work, but the cost was covered by our insurance (full glass coverage is worth having in AZ...). I've seen people post here that Tesla has since reduced the prices of parts, so this could be lower now...

Hate to say it, but a fellow owner in a SoCal SvC was just quoted $1200+ to have his 3-week old car's windshield replaced. They were debating cause (defect versus impact) as they left the waiting area to discuss.

If I ever need a windshield, I'm going to get a quote from your SvC :). Sad to see the variance but it seems par for the course these days.

Hell, sometimes not even when the customer complains. For example a software issue with BMW that only happens once a week. If they can't reproduce it at the dealership, no software update for you as "it would take all day".

edit - What century am I in???

I couldn't believe how long the software update took on my BMW, it boggled my mind.

On topic, Tesla doesn't publish anything, of course they keep service bulletins secret. I wonder if they are available with the MA only subscription.

MA law requires independent access to information required to service and maintain the vehicle.

How nice that Tesla is offering service manuals in the one state in the Union where it must do so by law. Why does Tesla have to be forced to do this? This should be available to everyone. Obviously this isn't something Tesla wants to share, which is basic information any owner is entitled to. You have to wonder why.

How nice that Tesla is offering service manuals in the one state in the Union where it must do so by law. Why does Tesla have to be forced to do this? This should be available to everyone. Obviously this isn't something Tesla wants to share, which is basic information any owner is entitled to. You have to wonder why.

Exactly. What are they hiding? Lots of underlying safety issues or concerns? If nothing to hide why not share it? Reminds me of a manufacturer that wanted me to sign an NDA to not talk about a fleet wide major safety design defect they couldn't figure out how to fix.

It's possible they are afraid of do it yourselfers getting seriously injured from a high voltage accident. That would certainly not make for good PR.

They should at least released a subset of the service manuals that cover things people can do without risk of electrocution.