Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, I tried to make a post in this thread with information a few days ago but it has taken awhile to get the account activated and posts moderator approved. Australian HQ looks to be in that location.

2 Herbert St, Artarmon, Sydney
Corner of Herbert and Frederick Streets.

Former North Shore Autogroup. Tesla have updated their jobs website and the locations are now more specific with a service location called 'APAC-AU-NSW-Artarmon_Frederick St.' Plus two more in NSW called 'APAC-AU-Sydney-Retail' & 'APAC-AU-Sydney-Banksmeadow, probably a small office for port receiving and freight and storing cars before they are moved to Sydney or Melbourne.
Other locations are 'APAC-AU-Melbourne+' & 'APAC-AU-Melbourne-Retail'

Large showroom and offices facing Herbert Street with large service centre at rear of site facing Frederick St, lots on onsite parking for cars waiting for delivery, even if they only lease the showroom half of the site it is raised above an open basement carpark.
~500-600 meters from St. Leonards Railway station, close to the Gore Hill Freeway for test drives between two exits and around the local streets.
The showroom is labeled 'Supercar Investments' on google street view as of November 2013 while the service centre out back is Northshore Autogroup, who serviced Daewoo, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Skoda and Great Wall etc.

Tesla have updated their jobs website and the locations are now more specific with a service location called 'APAC-AU-NSW-Artarmon_Frederick St.'

I concur, they certainly have. It sounds pretty conclusive as the location.

tesla jobs.jpg

I've had trouble believing this in the strictest sense - zero overhead.

Me too - unless both motors are smaller & lighter than current versions. If so, then maybe battery reconfiguration also becomes a possibility though probably less likely. One possible drawback - it would complicate battery swap stations in future with the need to stock multiple pack types unless they're all backwards compatible & as announced, the original pack is installed on the return leg.

Here's brianman's post from earlier today about this. Makes a whole lot of sense!

About time to unveil the D and something else - Page 70

(Point 1)
If 0-60 is the reason for AWD investment by Tesla, it's a foolish investment as they have better things to do.
If 0-60 is the reason for AWD for a buyer, it's a foolish choice as well.

(Point 2)
If traction/safety/etc. are the reason for AWD investment by Tesla or a buyer, that totally makes sense.
If 0-60 improves as a natural consequence of the physics (and design) for Tesla's AWD implement in Model S, that totally makes sense and has some 'wow' for the EV transition.

(Point 3)
Should Tesla invest in AWD for Model S? I think yes for the two reasons you mention: learning/experience for X and traction.

Getting back to Point 1, if Tesla wants to earn more racing cred they need to do two things IMO: (a) embrace it and (b) solve the acceleration limiter issue. The 0-60 is just glitz not something important, IMO, from the behavior of the car in a high performance sense.

For (a), I'm referring to what Audi, Porsche, and some other brands do. Support the hobby/enthusiast high speed activities and embrace the idea. "It's a daily driver, nothing more" is the vibe that Tesla currently gives off (presumably for legal / self-protection reasons). If you want to win over people, embrace the "but what can it do at the track" question. Plus was offered along these lines, and it was a good sign.

For (b), it's not about the daily driver and that's ok. I'm not talking about a substantial investment. I'm talking about opening up the discussion between Tesla and the track enthusiast audience. Offer some tuning knobs in the firmware, or consider a track tuning beta program (perhaps under NDA). Something. Having a presense in the driving enthusiast arena is significant and shouldn't be ignored or avoided; doing it right (heck even at all) puts them in a better position when Model 3 rolls around. I (and others) don't want to have to bow to (ok, not bow but "let by") the ICEs after lap 1 because Tesla seems to not care about improving this area. My skills are relatively new in this area (started HPDE Feb 2013) and the car is already limiting what I can do in terms of skill growth.

You are right of course. Too much ICE in my brain! Any thoughts on what an additional motor will do to range? I wouldn't want more acceleration if it meant reduced range.
If the front motor is geared higher then it will give higher efficiency at highway speed due to less motor RPM and less back EMF to overcome. Since each motor can be given independent torque commands, it could use the front motor exclusively during highway cruise to improve the efficiency. This could reasonably result in the same full trip average Wh/km as the RWD Model S.

Cool - they posted it to Facebook while it is still current news :) I need to pick something up from Westfield this week so I'll try to pop by.

I wonder what they are telling people for Sydney deliveries if ordering now?

That would be interesting to know but If there are fence sitters out there I reckon they would be wise to get an order in ASAP. With the AUD having dropped almost 10 percent since the pricing was released Tesla will have to be increasing prices soon.