Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loved this - now we know why Tesla tries not to say anything! BTW he had only been waiting since October!

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...d-chinese-customer-gets-new-tesla-smashes-it/

Disgruntled Chinese Customer Gets New Tesla, Smashes It

Minutes after taking delivery of a white Tesla Model S on Friday in Beijing, Yu Xinquan took a wrench and smashed the front windshield of the one million yuan (about $173,600) vehicle.

“It’s a protest against the company,” said Mr. Yu, an e-commerce entrepreneur from the northern Chinese region of Inner Mongolia, in an interview. “Tesla’s arrogance made me angry.”
Tesla in China didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Friday afternoon.

The incident, a video of which began to make the rounds of Chinese social media on Friday, represents Mr. Yu’s latest broadcast against the U.S. electric car maker, which this year entered the China market.

Mr. Yu led other disgruntled Tesla customers in China to protest delayed deliveries of their cars on April 21, a day before the electric-vehicle maker was set to make its first China delivery.

They later met with Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, who apologized and pledged to start building the delayed cars. “I think we’ve resolved that,” Mr. Musk told reporters on April 22.

While that seemed to silence other customers, Mr. Yu remains unappeased. He said that in early April Tesla promised him delivery within six weeks, a complimentary limited-edition plate carrying Tesla’s logo and free installation of charging equipment at his home. “The company hasn’t delivered,” he said.

Mr. Yu said he ordered a Tesla S in October and made a down payment of 250,000 yuan. But his hope of becoming one of Tesla’s first drivers in China was dashed in April when he discovered his vehicle had yet to be manufactured in the U.S. even as Tesla commenced delivering cars to customers in China.

Tesla told him that it wouldn’t ship to customers outside Beijing and Shanghai on the basis of “first come, first served” because of a lack of service centers and charging considerations, said Mr. Yu. “Nobody from Tesla told me that when I made the order,” he said.

Last week, Mr. Yu said, he was told by Tesla that his Model S was seized by Chinese customs because the record number on the customs declaration statement didn’t match the car’s vehicle identify number, and that delivery would be further delayed.

Tesla suggested Mr. Yu take delivery of one of its showroom display cars or he wait for another month to get a new car from the U.S. Mr. Yu said neither of the Tesla proposals satisfied him and driving a display car is just not the same.

“I feel like I just married a woman who has been married before,” he said.

Reaction on China’s social media was mixed, with some stressing the importance of customer service and others questioning Mr. Yu’s conduct.

Last edited:
The Perils of International Expansion (to pinch someone else's line)

http://www.wantchinatimes.com/news-subclass-cnt.aspx?id=20140629000004&cid=1102

Tesla entangled in delivery, trademark disputes in China

Tesla's Model X. The first buyers in China have been left waiting after the cars, already delayed, were held up in customs. (Photo/Tesla)

Electric car manufacturer Tesla faces problems in China as it has been accused of failing to deliver its Model S on time, to meet Chinese standards and is entangled in a trademark disputes, reports Guangzhou's Southern Daily. The US automaker said its vehicles comply with Chinese laws and has begun accepting preorders for its electric SUV, the Model X.

The majority of the first group of Tesla buyers complained when they discovered only a few of them would receive their car on the scheduled delivery date in April. Tesla delivered a number of preordered vehicles in late April and promised the remaining buyers would receive theirs in six weeks. However, the buyers were informed recently that their cars were stuck at customs at the Port of Tianjin.

The customs authorities seized the cars because the numbers on Tesla's documents did not match the vehicles' identification numbers. Tesla must file the documents in the United States again, which will take three weeks and push the delivery date back to July.

Lawyers said Tesla changed the orders of delivery without the buyers' knowledge and failed to deliver on time, which constitutes to a "false promise" or even a scam.

Elon Musk, Tesla's CEO, said the delay was caused by the construction of related facilities in China, which were made to ensure the best user experience for buyers. The automaker also said its production capacity is limited and has received more orders than it can keep up with.

Tesla is aiming to sell over 30,000 vehicles this year, of which 5,000 are set to be sold in China and the majority will be delivered in the second half of this year. Tesla has begun accepting preorders for its Model X SUV but it may only be able to deliver the cars in a year.

An industrial insider said Tesla has failed to offer maintenance, exchange and return services, which are the three compulsory services required for family cars under Chinese law. Tesla's Chinese division refuted the remark and said it registered these services with China's General Administration of Quality Supervision, Inspection and Quarantine in December last year.

Meanwhile, an entrepreneur from Guangzhou named Zhan Baosheng has been fighting Tesla over trademark rights since August last year. Zhan claimed to have registered Chinese and English-language trademarks and logos that are the same as Tesla and that he had been planning to build a new energy car since he started a business selling automobile products in 2004. Tesla has negotiated to buy the trademarks from Zhan but he is demanding ten times more than Tesla has offered, according to the news website of Chinese web portal Sina.

Loved this - now we know why Tesla tries not to say anything! BTW he had only been waiting since October!

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/...d-chinese-customer-gets-new-tesla-smashes-it/

Disgruntled Chinese Customer Gets New Tesla, Smashes It

Minutes after taking delivery of a white Tesla Model S on Friday in Beijing, Yu Xinquan took a wrench and smashed the front windshield of the one million yuan (about $173,600) vehicle.

“It’s a protest against the company,” said Mr. Yu, an e-commerce entrepreneur from the northern Chinese region of Inner Mongolia, in an interview. “Tesla’s arrogance made me angry.”
Tesla in China didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment Friday afternoon.

The incident, a video of which began to make the rounds of Chinese social media on Friday, represents Mr. Yu’s latest broadcast against the U.S. electric car maker, which this year entered the China market.

Mr. Yu led other disgruntled Tesla customers in China to protest delayed deliveries of their cars on April 21, a day before the electric-vehicle maker was set to make its first China delivery.

They later met with Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk, who apologized and pledged to start building the delayed cars. “I think we’ve resolved that,” Mr. Musk told reporters on April 22.

While that seemed to silence other customers, Mr. Yu remains unappeased. He said that in early April Tesla promised him delivery within six weeks, a complimentary limited-edition plate carrying Tesla’s logo and free installation of charging equipment at his home. “The company hasn’t delivered,” he said.

Mr. Yu said he ordered a Tesla S in October and made a down payment of 250,000 yuan. But his hope of becoming one of Tesla’s first drivers in China was dashed in April when he discovered his vehicle had yet to be manufactured in the U.S. even as Tesla commenced delivering cars to customers in China.

Tesla told him that it wouldn’t ship to customers outside Beijing and Shanghai on the basis of “first come, first served” because of a lack of service centers and charging considerations, said Mr. Yu. “Nobody from Tesla told me that when I made the order,” he said.

Last week, Mr. Yu said, he was told by Tesla that his Model S was seized by Chinese customs because the record number on the customs declaration statement didn’t match the car’s vehicle identify number, and that delivery would be further delayed.

Tesla suggested Mr. Yu take delivery of one of its showroom display cars or he wait for another month to get a new car from the U.S. Mr. Yu said neither of the Tesla proposals satisfied him and driving a display car is just not the same.

“I feel like I just married a woman who has been married before,” he said.

Reaction on China’s social media was mixed, with some stressing the importance of customer service and others questioning Mr. Yu’s conduct.

The 'me generation' has such a strong sense of entitlement

That article about the customer in China has an important paragraph for any Tesla reservation holders outside of Sydney and Melbourne:

"Tesla told him that it wouldn’t ship to customers outside Beijing and Shanghai on the basis of “first come, first served” because of a lack of service centers and charging considerations, said Mr. Yu. “Nobody from Tesla told me that when I made the order,” he said."

There have been hints at this policy applying in Australia from various comments people have made in this thread at times.

Has as anyone outside of Sydney or Melbourne actually received an assurance that they will ever be receiving a car (no matter what their reservation number is?) This article clearly implies that if you are not in a city with a service centre your reservation order number doesn't matter and you won't be getting a car.

None of us know anything special, including when the factory shut down dates are, though the latter is not for lack of trying. Regrettably that means checking my dashboard 3-4 times a day for the rest of the month. Boring!!

Hit reload.

Waiting for Teslamotors.com ...

( ... )

Order Confirmed
We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S.

Every time I see that line, the tension builds up just an oomph of a PSI more. The day it says in production, it will be all the more of a release.

So I just checked again, and they are still sourcing, as they have for the last 5 months. With all that sourcing, I am looking forward to some highly sophisticated and unique parts for my MS!

I don't think the article contained any real info - it was the customer reaction that amused.

I think that (even if the story is true) logistics and charging/service issues are very different in China - and can you imagine SH reaction if he was told sorry, you don't live in Sydney!

Unfortunately I see this way too often. The Chinese have gotten rich very fast and as a result, the wealthy are very used to getting what they want, whenever they want. So when they feel like they've been "wronged", they're happy to demonstrate their frustration, even if it means they just wasted a heap of money.

As a Chinese myself, I don't look at that with amusement, I look at it with shame.

Unfortunately I see this way too often. The Chinese have gotten rich very fast and as a result, the wealthy are very used to getting what they want, whenever they want. So when they feel like they've been "wronged", they're happy to demonstrate their frustration, even if it means they just wasted a heap of money.

As a Chinese myself, I don't look at that with amusement, I look at it with shame.

I wouldn't take this as specific to one country - I think this applies to many others - including us!

Cheers
David