Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, major update on my reservation. Spoke to Annie at Tesla UK, apparently the European distribution centre supplies VAT-free cars for unsupported countries "all the time". For anyone in NZ wanting a RHD Model S, you can order one right now. From the horse's mouth:

wow thats quite an interesting update given that Stone from Sydney has not mentioned that approach of ordering a car at all in our last few email communications. So are you going to get yours this way?

Yes, I was just speaking to Stone and he was totally unaware that Tesla Europe offered this. I am confirming my order as we speak. The only downside is that all signature series reservations are long gone in Europe, so I will miss out on the sig red colour I wanted pretty badly.

My spec: 85 kWh Performance, Red Multi-Coat Paint, Black Roof, 21" Grey Turbine Wheels, Black Nappa Leather Seats, Piano Black Décor, Performance Plus, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Tesla Red Brake Calipers, Supercharger Enabled, Dual Chargers, Tech Package, Smart Air Suspension, Parking Sensors, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Rear Facing Seats, Premium Interior Lighting, Security Package, Parcel Shelf

Yes, I was just speaking to Stone and he was totally unaware that Tesla Europe offered this. I am confirming my order as we speak. The only downside is that all signature series reservations are long gone in Europe, so I will miss out on the sig red colour I wanted pretty badly.

My spec: 85 kWh Performance, Red Multi-Coat Paint, Black Roof, 21" Grey Turbine Wheels, Black Nappa Leather Seats, Piano Black Décor, Performance Plus, Carbon Fiber Spoiler, Tesla Red Brake Calipers, Supercharger Enabled, Dual Chargers, Tech Package, Smart Air Suspension, Parking Sensors, Ultra High Fidelity Sound, Rear Facing Seats, Premium Interior Lighting, Security Package, Parcel Shelf
The other issue you are going to have is charging.I expect that your car will be the same as ours with a type 2 charge port. A UK car is supplied with just a connecting cable because they expect UK users to have EVSE's subsidised by the UK govt. Accordingly, you are going to need our charging equipment, at present this is a 40 amp wall connector, but will be upgraded next year with 3 phase 32 amp. You may well have to buy these from Australia. The unit delivered to me on Tuesday did not have an instruction manual, but i have a copy of the Hong Kong manual, and i am sure the two units are very similar, at least to the extent of the electrical connections and dip switch settings. If you would like a copy of this, personal message me with your email address and i will forward it to you.

Congrats! Specs?
Specs as requested.
85KWH.jpg

The other issue you are going to have is charging.I expect that your car will be the same as ours with a type 2 charge port. A UK car is supplied with just a connecting cable because they expect UK users to have EVSE's subsidised by the UK govt. Accordingly, you are going to need our charging equipment, at present this is a 40 amp wall connector, but will be upgraded next year with 3 phase 32 amp. You may well have to buy these from Australia. The unit delivered to me on Tuesday did not have an instruction manual, but i have a copy of the Hong Kong manual, and i am sure the two units are very similar, at least to the extent of the electrical connections and dip switch settings. If you would like a copy of this, personal message me with your email address and i will forward it to you.

Tesla EU have converted my "UK Spec" car to an "EU Spec" car, which is identical except it ships with a Tesla Type 2 Universal Mobile Connector with a Red 16-Amp IEC 60309 plug adaptor. I'll probably add the Blue 32-Amp and a Type 2 cord for when I install a 62196 EVSE.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Seeing as you have a Roadster, just curious how its been owning an EV in NZ with the limited charging infrastructure. Seeing as these aren't cheap cars, I assume you've driven your share of high powered petrol cars. Whats the main deciding factor for you to choose it over a luxury German car? I'm still on the ropes as there is no service yet in NZ and juggling it against some really nice German cars.

@JFK: Officially the Warranty is still valid, but only in country of origin. I'm quietly hoping that Tesla will be reasonable in the event of a major fault and allow warranty repairs at the Australian service centre.

@Korui: I drive the Roadster every day, and do 90% of my charging with the 10 Amp mobile charge cable. (I have a J1772 adapter, but my wife's Leaf tends to occupy our J1772 outlet at home.) Frankly the Roadster isn't the sort of car you'd want to take on a road trip, so the range limit / lack of infrastructure is very rarely a problem. I've driven up to Whangarei quite a few times, and I could probably just barely manage a roundtrip without any charging if I had to. Luckily there's plenty of J1772s in Whangarei - it's a hotbed of EV adoption up there! With ex-Japanese imports available for NZ$25k here, sales of the Nissan Leaf are taking off, and so is the installed base of 30-Amp J1772 stations.

Of course, for road tripping in a Model S to really be practical at the very least we need a handful of CHAdeMO stations on arterial routes up and down the country.

Re petrol cars, I sold my DB9 and 458 for the Roadster. The instant acceleration of a high power EV is addictive, as is the EV grin I get every time I drive past a petrol station giving them the finger. After about a year of driving the Roadster I felt a pang of missing the 458, so took one for a test drive. It was a major disappointment (memories can be deceiving), and so I'm so happy to have the Roadster.

ps I'm happy to give test drives

The instant acceleration of a high power EV is addictive, as is the EV grin I get every time I drive past a petrol station giving them the finger. After about a year of driving the Roadster I felt a pang of missing the 458, so took one for a test drive. It was a major disappointment (memories can be deceiving), and so I'm so happy to have the Roadster.

ps I'm happy to give test drives

Driving the roadster from Sydney to Canberra for a weekend was what convinced me of several things;

1. My next car would be an EV, as the performance was phenomenal
2. The Roadster wouldn't be a practical car for me to have - my wife's car is a BMW roadster, making my current Porsche the 'sensible' car :)
3. Other cars felt antiquated.

Although LEAF sales are not setting the world on fire in Australia, we love our LEAF.

2 years old yesterday. Using 100% peak rate T11 GreenPower (@32.48c/kWh) in Qld to "fuel" it, it has cost $1741 to travel 34453km. Offpeak T31 100% GreenPower would cost half this. Servicing has cost $444.90. A 1.85kW solar PV would generate the energy required each year.

overall "fuel" economy over 2 years is 156Wh/km (or 5c/km).
mainly highway driving (200km days) is around 142Wh/km,
longer driving city days (60km+ days) have been around 150Wh/km,
shorter driving city days (~12km days) have been around 204Wh/km

pretty sure Telsa uses more energy for each km because it's a bigger car.
will have to consider upgrading to Tesla as the kids get bigger/taller for more legroom in the back.

The US EPA rated the 2011 Nissan LEAF at a combined 99 MPGe and the 2014 at 115 MPGe.

The Model S 60 gets 95 MPGe and the S 85 gets 89 MPGe.

Maybe marginal PV array cost is more future proof way of comparing than MPG. If we assume 3.01 miles per kwh, as in

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090685_life-with-tesla-model-s-one-year-and-15000-miles-later

that is about 4.84 km/kwh. Over, say, 15530 km (average distance driven by light vehicles in Australia (from Roy Morgan research)

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/australian-moterists-drive-average-15530km-201305090702

we will need 15530/4.84 = 3209 kWh per year to replace average car fuel consumption. Solar panels in Sydney deliver about 800 - 1200 kWh per year per kW installed depending on orientation, tree shading and other things. So you will need 2.6 - 4 kW of array to supply the electricity the car uses each year. At perhaps $1500 - $2000 per installed kW, that will cost somewhere between $3900 - $8000, a couple of years of fuel for the junked M5. If you are buying a Model S at $150,000, it is an add-on capital cost of only 2.6 - 5.3%. Better still, the array keeps producing for two or more decades if you trade in your old Tesla for a new one.

Think about it. Drop the Pano roof option and you almost have it. If Tesla were to insert into the options list somewhere above the Pano Roof “Fuel Forever; Cost - $6000”, who wouldn’t tick that box? All right, apart from Tony Abbott?

Of course, the same argument carries for an i3 or an Leaf and they will be cheaper to buy, and also need fewer PV panels to run, but that now becomes a consumer financial choice with relatively little environmental impact compared to that of the petrol avoided.

Caveats:

If your array goes over 5kW, Ausgrid in NSW will make force you to convert to three phase. Some people might want to consider a 4.95 kW array and use the spare power to offset some of the 50 cents per kW electricity used in the afternoon every day. I will be offsetting all house consumption as well so unfortunately I have to wear the three phase installation cost for a larger array.

You will likely have to sell some power to the grid in summer and buy it back in winter on off-peak. The net metered selling price is about 7 cents and the off peak buying price about double that. If this were to affect 1/3 of the power generated for the car, you would be down maybe $75 a year.

Last edited:
Model S 'PV' 85

Maybe marginal PV array cost is more future proof way of comparing than MPG. If we assume 3.01 miles per kwh, as in

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1090685_life-with-tesla-model-s-one-year-and-15000-miles-later

that is about 4.84 km/kwh. Over, say, 15530 km (average distance driven by light vehicles in Australia (from Roy Morgan research)

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/australian-moterists-drive-average-15530km-201305090702

we will need 15530/4.84 = 3209 kWh per year to replace average car fuel consumption. Solar panels in Sydney deliver about 800 - 1200 kWh per year per kW installed depending on orientation, tree shading and other things. So you will need 2.6 - 4 kW of array to supply the electricity the car uses each year. At perhaps $1500 - $2000 per installed kW, that will cost somewhere between $3900 - $8000, a couple of years of fuel for the junked M5. If you are buying a Model S at $150,000, it is an add-on capital cost of only 2.6 - 5.3%. Better still, the array keeps producing for two or more decades if you trade in your old Tesla for a new one.

Think about it. Drop the Pano roof option and you almost have it. If Tesla were to insert into the options list somewhere above the Pano Roof “Fuel Forever; Cost - $6000”, who wouldn’t everybody tick that box? All right, apart from Tony Abbott?

Of course, the same argument carries for an i3 or an Leaf and they will be cheaper to buy, and also need fewer PV panels to run, but that now becomes a consumer financial choice with relatively little environmental impact compared to that of the petrol avoided.

Caveats:

If your array goes over 5kW, Ausgrid in NSW will make force you to convert to three phase. Some people might want to consider a 4.95 kW array and use the spare power to offset some of the 50 cents per kW electricity used in the afternoon every day. I will be offsetting all house consumption as well so unfortunately I have to wear the three phase installation cost for a larger array.

You will likely have to sell some power to the grid in summer and buy it back in winter on off-peak. The net metered selling price is about 7 cents and the off peak buying price about double that. If this were to affect 1/3 of the power generated for the car, you would be down maybe $75 a year.

Great post and exactly what went through my mind when i reserved my Model S. Ended up installing a 5KW/h SMA inverter connected to 6KW/h worth of panels. Ended up costing <$8k with good spec panels and inverter. We're looking at an approx 3.5 year pay back without factoring in the cost of running my new daily drive. My Model S will be my weekly commuter vehicle (approx 250 ams per working week) and so I'll aim to charge the car on a sunny weekend day, when household power use is low.

Great post and exactly what went through my mind when i reserved my Model S. Ended up installing a 5KW/h SMA inverter connected to 6KW/h worth of panels. Ended up costing <$8k with good spec panels and inverter. We're looking at an approx 3.5 year pay back without factoring in the cost of running my new daily drive. My Model S will be my weekly commuter vehicle (approx 250 ams per working week) and so I'll aim to charge the car on a sunny weekend day, when household power use is low.

Nicely done Adapptor, the utility looks at the inverter peak output so you pack more 20% more panels in at the 5 KW single phase limit and lose very little yearly energy going over the inverter maximum output because peak output doesn't happen very often, almost never. Cheaper inverter too. Sounds like a really good approach.

that is about 4.84 km/kwh. .

Thanks for that article. It seems then that the Tesla uses around 33% more energy (around 208Wh/km) than the LEAF (aroud 157Wh/km) assuming the driving conditions were similar. that's not too bad considering the greater vehicle size and greater range.

Confirmed Delivery Date?

Does anyone yet have a confirmed (or estimated by Tesla) delivery date? I've seen mention that some folks expect to have their cars by late July, but have also heard from Tesla that cars should arrive "before year end". Seems there is still a bit of speculation around. Anyone hearing anything factual? I'm Reservation #77. Have yet to confirm, am a few days away making sure we are happy with choices.