Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the shareholder letter is out, but other than a passing reference to Australia amongst "RHD deliveries starting this spring", nothing specific, and of course the website has not been updated with pricing, nor have we received our emails like HK has. VERY DISAPPOINTED!!

I'm about to undertake major rewiring in preparation for the Model S arrival, and Tesla still refuse to disclose whether the Australasian deliveries will support three phase charging. They must have decided by now, so I can't understand why they have to keep being pricks about it.

Well Tesla called. Bad news for NZers. Their official stance is that they will not ship cars to any country until the service and support infrastructure is built. And they'll only bother building the infrastructure when they see sufficient demand to justify it, which doesn't seem to be the case in NZ.

Australia can expect a test drive vehicle in April, but no deliveries before June. New Zealand can expect… nothing.

Oh but I did get a confirmation that the specs will be very similar to the UK model (i.e. European style 3 phase compatible charge inlet)

Last edited:
Well Tesla called. Bad news for NZers. Their official stance is that they will not ship cars to any country until the service and support infrastructure is built. And they'll only bother building the infrastructure when they see sufficient demand to justify it, which doesn't seem to be the case in NZ.

Australia can expect a test drive vehicle in April, but no deliveries before June. New Zealand can expect… nothing.

Oh but I did get a confirmation that the specs will be very similar to the UK model (i.e. European style 3 phase compatible charge inlet)

Very sorry to hear, SteveWest You have waited patiently and loyally for so long. Information black hole continues for Aus. Nearly March and no info?!, Wtf?

This is probably a retarded question, but since it is so easy to remove and replace, in order to avoid luxury car tax, could tesla ship the car with a 10kWh battery, and then have service install an 85kWh later on?

This would significantly reduce extra taxes/stamp duty and wouldn't really be an issue from a legal standpoint (IMHO)

For Europe they ship the car and battery+drivetrain separately, then "assemble" them upon arrival - avoiding vehicle import duties and getting brownie points for "manufacturing" cars locally ...
It would be nice if they could do the same here, and might be a good use for our soon-to-be-empty manufacturing plants.

Jay has mentioned earlier in this thread that the OZ spec Model S is currently going through ADR approval.
Pricing won't happen until that's complete but I don't think it will be much longer.
I really hope they can included NZ deliveries as part of the Australian sales district but you may have to pay for Ranger service as a minimum and be willing to be patient if something big goes wrong.

I think the situation in NZ clearly demonstrates the chicken and egg problem of building out service centres based on reservation demand. There's a relatively small and finite limit to the number of reservations Tesla will get without having a demonstrator over here to provide some visibility, test drives etc.

So are you holding on to your reservation? If they are not going to deliver to NZ until they get the reservation numbers to justify it; how to they expect to get significant interest if there are no cars here? Tesla does not advertise, maybe they believe that the cars coming to Aus might increase awareness to NZ buyers. Also if they do not commit to some sort of time-line why would anyone commit to buying the car? We held on because we were waiting for RHD. That excuse/reason will be out the window once Aussie starts getting the car.

Has anyone heard anything about *any* conversations with the Govt about LCT or other incentives for EVs? In ACT the stamp duty is waived but here in NSW it looks pretty dismal. I'm also wondering why I reserved so far back for no real benefit - it would appear that the US waiting list time is a month or so & our waiting list is likely to be filled pretty quickly.

Although I'd also like to be able to claim commission as I think I've sold 3-4 Model S's during my reservation time!

Has anyone heard anything about *any* conversations with the Govt about LCT or other incentives for EVs? In ACT the stamp duty is waived but here in NSW it looks pretty dismal. I'm also wondering why I reserved so far back for no real benefit - it would appear that the US waiting list time is a month or so & our waiting list is likely to be filled pretty quickly.

Although I'd also like to be able to claim commission as I think I've sold 3-4 Model S's during my reservation time!
we are in for a horror budget in May. I don't think we can expect anything. Thank the unions and their parliamentary branch, AKA the Labor party, for our dire budgetary outlook and the wholesale loss of jobs here!!

From Naomi by email today. " we still don't have any definite information.thank you for being patient".
How can they not have a definite plan by now? Surely their planning must have a timeline, after all, a test car, staff, then upgraded service facilities, inventory of parts, training of personnel, all take serious planning, not to mention opening a store. Definite information, perhaps not, but hey, throw us a bone, give us an approximate time line. No direct comms since what, August last year? Naomi's reply was a response to an email following the earnings report. Had I not contacted her we would have not even had that non- reply.

The way I described it is like staring at a progress bar that doesn't move. Much worse than one that's moving, no matter how slowly.

Oh, and I thought we waited a lot in Hong Kong, I feel for you guys!

How about pressing reload, maybe the progress bar starts moving - although download so far is lost. Or opening a new browser tab?

Hang in there, I am sure Tesla model S will come to both NZ and AU soon enough. At least Tesla Motors is making the RHD now, I cannot see the reason not to bring it to any market out there eventually.

But yes, the waiting time is horrendous - reminds me of a 6 year old me waiting for Christmas. Better do something to take our minds off the waiting. Downloads do​ speed up when you are not watching!