Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla got rear ended, still driveable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's pretty clear he wasn't paying attention. And going pretty fast for not paying attention. Most municipalities are self insured. Which is a good thing since you won't run up against policy limits. I don't think it's a total. Fenders. Look OK need new Rear hatch and time on the body straighting jig

I'd suspect typing on his laptop, it's a pretty frequent occurrence.

image.png

He/she was probably distracted while on the TMC forum.

Last edited:
I don't have a rear facing dash cam but maybe the officer had one? But then knowing the police, that footage may go missing coincidentally...

I'm grateful no one was seriously hurt, but really bummed at having to go thru the whole insurance and repair process. And considering the city is involved now, who knows how long that will take.

If his lights weren't on, chances are good the dash cam wasn't even recording. Although if it was equipped with a g-force sensor, then the incident prior to 2 min might be saved to the storage media regardless of light status.

I guess it will turn out to be your fault :) Hopefully that footage doesn't disappear in the process and if you take a look at it at some point, please share.

That is no Joke!!!
One of my first driving experiences at 16 years old.
I was making a legal left, with the turn signal on, when a local cop rear-ended my 1950 Buick.
The Cop had spun-out his car rounding a corner and there I was.
The Cops report said it was my fault.

Make sure you go after diminished value. That accident reduced the value of your car by at least a good $10-15K.

Definitely go after diminished value. I never knew diminished value existed and my insurance never went after it nor even mentioned it to me before.

In a previous non-tesla car, the trade-in value for a low mileage, highly maintained car was basically in the "poor" - wholesale/auction category. Basically taking a loss of over $5K for being rear-ended which wasn't my fault. Once they see frame repair, they auction it off versus being a CPO (at least for Lexus).

May I just note that clouds in the photo make the accident even more dramatic, somewhat ominous.

On a serious note, did your seat or headrest collapse in any way?

Maybe the officer was enjoying the clouds when he rear ended me.

Neither the headrest nor the seat collapsed that I could tell. While it was a jolt to get hit, it didn't feel as bad as it looked when I walked out and surveyed the damage. But now, a day after, my neck and shoulders are definitely sore, so they must have hit the seat pretty hard. My sunglasses did fly off and my phone which was on a magnetic folder flew under the seat too.

Make sure you go after diminished value. That accident reduced the value of your car by at least a good $10-15K.

At least that much, if not double that. I got $10k for a grapefruit sized dent in my rear quarter panel by someone backing into me, no faster than 5 mph. If his model S isn't totaled, he should be able to recover a significant amount of DV. An expert I recommend (and who helped me get mine) is Diminished Value Home - Petty Details, LLC. He's worked with a few Tesla's before and knows the ins and out.

The bad news is, you are probably going to be dealing with some type of co-op insurance with the city. I've had dealings with them before and they can be a real pain in the neck. Hopefully they don't give you too much hassle. If so, turn it in to your carrier and let them subrogate for you.

One more thing, it looks like the "third row" seats would've been okay but I am curious. If you don't have the third row seats, how do you think the "occupants" would've faired? I'm asking as a father of a 4 year old who likes to ride in the 3rd row often, and I've always wondered how it would fair if I were rear ended at high speed.

or maybe on his cell phone which is apparently legal for them but not anyone else (except truck drivers).
I see police on cell phones way more than driving and typing at the same time

Not always...

Locally, an Illinois State Police trooper hit and killed two young women; he was traveling in excess of 120 mph, responding to an accident while typing on his laptop and talking to his girlfriend on his cellphone. He lost his license and has been attempting to regain it for 5 years. Each time, the Secretary of State has refused to re-issue the man's license. In 2010, he pled guilty to two counts each of reckless homicide and aggravated reckless driving. Unfortunately, he avoided prison time and received only probation.

Ex-trooper again seeks license since deadly wreck - Washington Times

Sorry to hear about this.

On the plus side, if your right rear quarter panel is anything like the left one, this probably isn't as bad as it looks. Quarter panels are a doozy to replace because they need to be cut off, new ones welded on, and match-painted along with everything around them. Liftgate, lights and bumpers are much, much easier. A shop (Tesla approved if your airbags went off, though it sounds like they didn't) will need to check the unibody, which would be the other big concern. But if that checks out, I see no reason why a premium body shop would not be able to get this car into tip top shape for you. Good luck.

To Nakedsushi- Can you please confirm for me that there was no encroachment into the trunk space? It looks from the picture that the bumper took all the impact. I routinely have children in the third row and wonder if they would have suffered any injury assuming they were rear-facing, sitting properly (good kids that they are) in their 5-pt restraints. Esp with the reinforced rear, no doubt this a solidly built car. It is painful to see the damage but glad you are ok.

To Nakedsushi- Can you please confirm for me that there was no encroachment into the trunk space? It looks from the picture that the bumper took all the impact. I routinely have children in the third row and wonder if they would have suffered any injury assuming they were rear-facing, sitting properly (good kids that they are) in their 5-pt restraints. Esp with the reinforced rear, no doubt this a solidly built car. It is painful to see the damage but glad you are ok.

Unless his car is pre VIN ~5000, he doesn't have the reinforced bumper. So even if there was encroachment, that doesn't mean that it would happen to your car.

Unless his car is pre VIN ~5000, he doesn't have the reinforced bumper. So even if there was encroachment, that doesn't mean that it would happen to your car.

His car has parking sensors so that's definitely after VIN 5000, but I was under the impression that after some VIN number (I think it was later than 5000), the reinforced bumper was ONLY installed on cars that had the rear facing seats. So it's still possible to have the boron bumper if you have RFS.

His car has parking sensors so that's definitely after VIN 5000, but I was under the impression that after some VIN number (I think it was later than 5000), the reinforced bumper was ONLY installed on cars that had the rear facing seats. So it's still possible to have the boron bumper if you have RFS.

Sorry, I re-read what I wrote, and I stopped half-thought. I meant that since he likely didn't have the RFS, and is post VIN 5k, it's not a fair comparison since his car is not reinforced and cmu5p's would be. So even if the OP's car did encroach, that doesn't mean that cmu5ps car would.

You are 100% correct though (I have the RFS with the reinforced bumper. Before VIN ~5000 (or whatever the number is), the boron bumper was standard. Then they jacked up the price of the RFS and it was only available [required] with the RFS after that. I'm not aware of any VIN ranges where the boron bumper was NOT supplied with RFS).

*I could be wrong, and the OP could have had the RFS, but I would expect that to come up in the OP. So I just assumed he didn't. And looking at his signature, it's not listed

My car's VIN is in the 50000's and there *was* some encroachment into the trunk space. Enough that the flap hiding the extra wheel space no longer sits flat. If it's any consolation, some glass tupperware that I forgot in there were still in perfect shape despite being tossed around. The rear lift gate actually still opened w/ a press of a button, but would no longer close anymore, as if something was caught in it. But still closable manually and with a firm hand.

BTW, I'm a she.