Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old MYLR collision - body shops booked out 8months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife got a new Tesla MY 2 weeks ago (this is our first Tesla). This weekend some guy at a stop light turned into her car from the left lane, making a right turn in front of her where she couldn't avoid him hitting the car. Of course he says he didn't have insurance.

Tesla MY collision front bumper/quarter panel/hood/headlight/fog light... The damages look pretty bad for just getting side swiped at a stop light but as far as I can tell I don't see any structural damage. I'm actually shocked at how much damage occurred, it's like the truck opened it up like a tin can and the bumper was made to tear away.

The reality of the whole situation didn't hit me until this morning when I tried calling over a dozen Tesla certified body shops. Almost all of them told me they couldn't even provide estimates until December and wouldn't be able to start repairs until next year, some as late as May 2024. I'm in the Seattle area and I've called as far 200 miles North to Vancouver BC to as far as 200 miles South in Portland, OR and it's the same answer every time I call to ask what their lead-time is for collision repairs. Our insurance will cover the damage through UM/UIM but we only have rental coverage for 30 days. I've called non-certified body shops that I've taken previous vehicles to and had good work done but they told me they don't have the necessary equipment/tools to work on Teslas (something about aluminum structural/body work).

Hypothetically speaking, if the guy did have insurance, I'm not sure if it would have made any difference or if his insurance would have covered a rental car for 7-8 months?

Regardless, I'm shocked to say the least. I knew in Tesla's early days/years parts availability caused problems with repairs but 10 years later I hoped things were better, however it seems that is not the case.

So what do people do in situations like this? I work from home so I have some flexibility but do like to take and pick up my daughter from school and have errands throughout the day that require a vehicle. I considered letting my wife take my BMW and possibly buying a beater for the next several months.

I'm surprised that the lengthy repairs for Teslas doesn't make more press. I don't know who can buy a new or used vehicle, get in an accident (at fault or not) and not be able to drive their car for potentially 7+ months and still have to make payments. I don't know what responsibility Tesla has with making parts available, getting body shops certified in order to keep customers happy but this seems like it's ripe for a class-action lawsuit.

IMG_20230826_130651.jpg
IMG_20230826_130655.jpg
IMG_20230826_130700.jpg

Does anyone have any advice on how to proceed?

Think you may be assuming this is a Tesla parts issue. I suspect it’s simply the shops are overly busy. I had a recent accident similar Also with a non insured clown (joy) and they had the car in and repaired in just 2 weeks. Did wait 2 weeks to get in though. Granted this is in Chicago but they had no issue getting all parts in a week. It is Very frustrating to deal with this but sadly that anger should be on the uninsured clown that hit you in my view. That was my frustration also.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Ouch... this post deserves a WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES MAY NOT BE SUITABLE FOR YOUNGER VIEWERS disclaimer.

Sorry this happened to you. There are a *LOT* of Teslas on the West Coast, and perhaps not nearly enough certified collision shops.

Maybe you can have it towed to the place @Yelobird went to?
Lol that would be a haul but sure why not! The Elk Grove Village Tesla service center. Incredibly nice people amd provided continuous friendly updates. While I Hated getting hit in an accident the experience was nowhere near what I read on the forum. Car looked better then new

Lol that would be a haul but sure why not! The Elk Grove Village Tesla service center. Incredibly nice people amd provided continuous friendly updates. While I Hated getting hit in an accident the experience was nowhere near what I read on the forum. Car looked better then new
There is a place in Bellingham, WA that's about 100 miles away that said depending on the damage (they want to see insurance estimate and photos), might be able to start on before 2024. If not I'll start considering shipping the car to Chicago or other places around the country.

There is a place in Bellingham, WA that's about 100 miles away that said depending on the damage (they want to see insurance estimate and photos), might be able to start on before 2024. If not I'll start considering shipping the car to Chicago or other places around the country.
Your process so far seems a bit different than mine. May be insurance companies. I started via the Tesla app. They responded requesting photos from several angles and emailed us both the estimate. On drop off the insurance company visited the service center to validate prior to start and it was smooth sailing from there. Technically my insurance company had little involvement in the process other than approval. Wish you luck never a fun ordeal especially when it’s someone else’s fault.

That makes no sense. Did they give a reason? Why not just let the insurance companies handle all of this for you?
My insurance is handling it but Tesla certified body shops in a 300 mile radius of me can't get me in for an estimate until December and after that they can't even start repairs until next year, many of them not till May at the earliest.

On top of this the joker that crashed into us didn't have insurance and we only have rental car coverage for 30 days under uninsured motorist coverage.

I'd have never bought a Tesla if I knew getting into a minor fender bender could take my MY out of commission for 8+ months. Meanwhile we get to make payments on a MY that's less than a month old and essentially won't get to use it for the 1st year of ownership.

• Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots
That makes no sense. Did they give a reason? Why not just let the insurance companies handle all of this for you?
The body shop in Bellingham told me they're too busy to accept cars out of the county. It's silly but I don't blame them. I blame Tesla for not having adequate body shops trained and certified to perform collision repairs to meet demand. It's terrible customer service and a miserable ownership experience for the not so unlikely scenario where you'll encounter some sort of accident over the course of ownership.

So rather than wait 8+ months while make payments on a car you can't drive AND have to arrange alternate transportation, I'd find a body shop *anywhere* in the country that can take it and ship that bad boy both ways via carrier.
Yes, we'll probably be forced to do that but shipping a car one way is around $2000. Then I'll have to spend the money to fly wherever and spend a couple nights in hotels while driving across the country. Not everyone can afford to jump through such ridiculous steps.

If it wasn't a Tesla, I could go to my preferred body shop and the car would likely have been repaired already.

I know in Chicago , IL , Richard’s Body Shop (Tesla Certified)

they have opening and have good reviews from local facebook reviews

check with them first, have the vehicle shipped or if it drivable, tape up the bumper and drive there. That wait is not acceptable.

I have similar issue last year, I called around wait-time for then to start work was around 3 months for most shops in chicagoland, Richard’s autobody was 2 weeks, Tesla Owned Body shop was 1.5 months.

The body shop in Bellingham told me they're too busy to accept cars out of the county. It's silly but I don't blame them. I blame Tesla for not having adequate body shops trained and certified to perform collision repairs to meet demand. It's terrible customer service and a miserable ownership experience for the not so unlikely scenario where you'll encounter some sort of accident over the course of ownership.
Yet again, Tesla was’t the uninsured driver that created your heartache. Lawyer up and go after the one you Should be angry at. Also, shipping a car doesn’t cost 2k might want to find a new source.

Yet again, Tesla was’t the uninsured driver that created your heartache. Lawyer up and go after the one you Should be angry at. Also, shipping a car doesn’t cost 2k might want to find a new source.
I have a feeling you've never sued someone before. Unless you know someone has collectable assets you can go after, there's no point in suing. I know I could win a judgement but that does no good when trying to collect. I don't need to win a judgement to make myself feel better. I need my less than a month old car fixed.

Even if I was in an accident by someone that had insurance, I'd be in the same situation... not being able to use my car for the majority of a year. What Tesla is responsible for is providing parts and ensuring sufficient collision body shops are trained/certified to meet the needs of its customers. Obviously this is not a concern or priority of Tesla's.

If you're paying less than $1/mile for car transport, you're definitely making some sacrifices. Likely uninsured, open trailer gooseneck by Billy Bob, no customer support, unprofessional. Semi trucks get about 5-6mpg, the cost of diesel is ~$4-5/gallon. Chicago is a little over 2000 miles from me.
2000mi / 6mpg x $4/gallon = $1333 just for diesel. The insurance, driver pay, maintenance and other operating costs to drive a truck 2000 miles have not been accounted for yet.

I have a feeling you've never sued someone before. Unless you know someone has collectable assets you can go after, there's no point in suing. I know I could win a judgement but that does no good when trying to collect. I don't need to win a judgement to make myself feel better. I need my less than a month old car fixed.

Even if I was in an accident by someone that had insurance, I'd be in the same situation... not being able to use my car for the majority of a year. What Tesla is responsible for is providing parts and ensuring sufficient collision body shops are trained/certified to meet the needs of its customers. Obviously this is not a concern or priority of Tesla's.

If you're paying less than $1/mile for car transport, you're definitely making some sacrifices. Likely uninsured, open trailer gooseneck by Billy Bob, no customer support, unprofessional. Semi trucks get about 5-6mpg, the cost of diesel is ~$4-5/gallon. Chicago is a little over 2000 miles from me.
2000mi / 6mpg x $4/gallon = $1333 just for diesel. The insurance, driver pay, maintenance and other operating costs to drive a truck 2000 miles have not been accounted for yet.
You realize Chicago isn’t the Only place between Seattle and IL right? You don’t Technically have to use a Tesla certified shop to do body work. Do you think Ford or Chevy fix fenders? My shop had parts for a complete rear end from Tesla in 2 weeks. While an accident Is frustrating not sure how an OEM is the target of your anger but I wish you luck.

You realize Chicago isn’t the Only place between Seattle and IL right? You don’t Technically have to use a Tesla certified shop to do body work. Do you think Ford or Chevy fix fenders? My shop had parts for a complete rear end from Tesla in 2 weeks. While an accident Is frustrating not sure how an OEM is the target of your anger but I wish you luck.
I contacted my preferred auto body shop that's nearby has little to no wait if you bring any ICE vehicle but they say they're not able to work on Teslas because they don't have the equipment to work on aluminum structural/body panels. I've also read that if you take a Tesla to a non-certified Tesla body shop, Tesla can void your warranty. So yes, Tesla has a part in creating this mess. I've called about 20 shops in a 300 mile radius of me. They all tell me there's a queue of about 200 other Teslas waiting for collision repairs for each shop. That doesn't happen with other manufacturers.