Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Experience with Tesla Collision Repair

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Tesla Model Y.
This past week I was backing out of my garage and one of the wheel wells touched the garage door.
I was not going fast but there was some paint damage and black plastic liner around the wheel well came off.
I contacted Tesla Collision and made an appointment.
I uploaded 5 photos. I got a document to sign in the mail. This document required me to sign and initial in a few places.
One of the sections was about using new parts, not returning old removed parts which was fine. There was confusing language about estimates.
There was no way to complete the document without initialing in all the sections.

I was expecting to get an estimate. I have messaged the collision center a few times. They did not provide an estimate. They asked me if I would be using my insurance.
I am not sure how much it will cost and I would rather not use insurance if the cost of repairs is not too high.

I have attached some pictures of the damaged car. I have an appointment coming up soon.
Can I assume that they will inspect my car and provide an estimate for repair?
Should I take it to Tesla Collision or another repair shop? I live in Cumming, GA.
IMG_1973.jpeg
IMG_1971.jpeg
IMG_1970.jpeg
IMG_1972.jpeg

Last edited:
I finally heard from them today. It was after 5 days. Typically Tesla service is quick to respond. Collision folks are much slower to respond. They told me that they will inspect my car and provide an estimate.
"I uploaded 5 photos. I got a document to sign in the mail. This document required me to sign and initial in a few places.
One of the sections was about using new parts, not returning old removed parts which was fine. There was confusing language about estimates.
There was no way to complete the document without initialing in all the sections."

Did you have to complete the document (in terms of signing off where ever they wanted you to) to get them to respond? Or, did that become moot since they will be physically inspecting the car?

Goodluck. Methinks you're going to be quite surprised at how much they want to charge you for this (thousands). Maybe you get lucky, though. If the quote just seems stupid, I'd start thinking outside the box--e.g. if it's mainly bumper you can buy a new one, get it sprayed locally to match and put it on yourself.

Goodluck. Methinks you're going to be quite surprised at how much they want to charge you for this (thousands). Maybe you get lucky, though. If the quote just seems stupid, I'd start thinking outside the box--e.g. if it's mainly bumper you can buy a new one, get it sprayed locally to match and put it on yourself.

You would buy the bumper over the counter from the Tesla Service Center? Would you just place a request for it through the Tesla app and go from there? They won't have any issues selling the bumper directly to you?

Reactions: EatsShoots
You were all 100% correct.
First estimate I got was generated by AI/Chat GPT. It was $1500.
Last night I received an actual estimate of $2700.
If the car backing slowly through a garage takes $2700 to repair I hate to think what it would cost if my car was in an accident.
I am not handy, I fear that even if I can buy a bumper there may be other surprises like radar update. There is minor damage to the paint as well.
I threw in the towel and asked them to fix it. I have had the car for more than 3 years. It had no maintenance costs. So this $2700 I am paying is similar to alternative vehicle tax charged by many states to renew tags for cars :-(

You would buy the bumper over the counter from the Tesla Service Center? Would you just place a request for it through the Tesla app and go from there? They won't have any issues selling the bumper directly to you?
That is it exactly. I did have some issues (weren't initially sure they could order one) but finally they were able to do it. You will NOT be able to get one pre-colored. At least I couldn't. It wasn't a possibility. It will be a primed bumper and you'll need a paint shop to match it if you order to install yourself.
You were all 100% correct.
First estimate I got was generated by AI/Chat GPT. It was $1500.
If the car backing slowly through a garage takes $2700 to repair I hate to think what it would cost if my car was in an accident.
I am not handy, I fear that even if I can buy a bumper there may be other surprises like radar update. There is minor damage to the paint as well.
I threw in the towel and asked them to fix it. I have had the car for more than 3 years. It had no maintenance costs. So this $2700 I am paying is similar to alternative vehicle tax charged by many states to renew tags for cars :-(
You got lucky. We got a $10k quote from our local insurer for a simple bit of fender damage (thread title was left as original--the final quote was over $10k). I agree with you $2700 to get it fixed may be sound as opposed to wrestling with it yourself. Just in and out to get it done. I would never have bothered trying to fix my own if it was $2700.

Last edited:
Reactions: seniorcitizen
Thanks for sharing your thread. Your journey to get your car repaired was interesting and inspiring.
When I got my Tesla Model Y I did not need a new car. I had an Acura MDX which would have been fine for 5-7 more years.
My kids and my wife dislike the ride quality of my Model Y. In comparison, they prefer 2020 Acura MDX. It is bigger and has a smoother ride.
I plan to keep my Model Y for as long as possible. It only has 20000 miles. But I am not sure I will be eager to buy another Tesla unless service improves.

Evidently some of yall have never had an incident in other cars.
Body repairs are ALWAYS expensive.
My man, not even a luxury brand automobile costs $10k to replace a fender. In the past few years I've had a few thousand in repairs when somebody rear-ended my truck, and another few thousand when somebody crushed the trunk on a 2018 Volvo S90. I can't remember which, but one of those repairs was $5500, and the other was less.

1709826310789.png

My man, not even a luxury brand automobile costs $10k to replace a fender. In the past few years I've had a few thousand in repairs when somebody rear-ended my truck, and another few thousand when somebody crushed the trunk on a 2018 Volvo S90. I can't remember which, but one of those repairs was $5500, and the other was less.

It wasn't $10k.
And it is one of the safest vehicles to drive. Which do you want "cheap to repair and easy to die" or "less easy to die"

Reactions: Yelobird
That is it exactly. I did have some issues (weren't initially sure they could order one) but finally they were able to do it. You will NOT be able to get one pre-colored. At least I couldn't. It wasn't a possibility. It will be a primed bumper and you'll need a paint shop to match it if you order to install yourself.

You got lucky. We got a $10k quote from our local insurer for a simple bit of fender damage (thread title was left as original--the final quote was over $10k). I agree with you $2700 to get it fixed may be sound as opposed to wrestling with it yourself. Just in and out to get it done. I would never have bothered trying to fix my own if it was $2700.

But as your post #33 in that thread indicates, that wasn't $10k for simple damage, what was quoted was much more than that.

I finally heard from them today. It was after 5 days. Typically Tesla service is quick to respond. Collision folks are much slower to respond. They told me that they will inspect my car and provide an estimate.
FYI - the ratio of Certified Tesla Collision Centers to constantly growing number of cars makes them VERY busy.

This of course depends on exact location. I had to wait 2 months with my MY to even get the 1st appointment.

YMMV, but based on pics you might attempt to fix it yourself. This looks fairly minimal which is good. Again, YMMV.

FYI - the ratio of Certified Tesla Collision Centers to constantly growing number of cars makes them VERY busy.

This of course depends on exact location. I had to wait 2 months with my MY to even get the 1st appointment.

YMMV, but based on pics you might attempt to fix it yourself. This looks fairly minimal which is good. Again, YMMV.
This is also why they take the piss with their quotes. I will not likely be purchasing another tesla until/unless the repair & insurance situation is rectified.

• Disagree
Reactions: GOVA