Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 week old MYLR collision - body shops booked out 8months

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called and/or visited at least 20 tire shops or mechanics to get my first alignment... nobody has the specs in their alignment machines. I did finally find 2 different shops almost right next to each other about 20 minutes from home.

This isn't necessarily Tesla's "fault"... it's the natural consequence of being a newish manufacturer.

I'd probably just go to Tesla's "find us" map on their website and make an exhaustive list of body shops in proximity order, then I'd make a day of calling every single one.

I hope you get this sorted out.

I called and/or visited at least 20 tire shops or mechanics to get my first alignment... nobody has the specs in their alignment machines. I did finally find 2 different shops almost right next to each other about 20 minutes from home.

This isn't necessarily Tesla's "fault"... it's the natural consequence of being a newish manufacturer.

I'd probably just go to Tesla's "find us" map on their website and make an exhaustive list of body shops in proximity order, then I'd make a day of calling every single one.

I hope you get this sorted out.
Thanks I've done that for all of Washington State, Victoria/Vancouver (BC Canada), Portland Metro area. Now having to expand search to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and beyond. I'm just saying had I known this was the case before buying a Tesla, I'd have never bought one in the first place.

Shipping a car for collision repairs opens the door to many potential headaches. If something isn't right when I fly to pick it up what do I do (I've had other paint shops give me a car back with bad paint work, like visible dirt/specs in the paint, fish eyes, bad orange peel)? If something breaks under warranty later on, then I get to drive it back to get repaired by the body shop that did the work.

Thanks I've done that for all of Washington State, Victoria/Vancouver (BC Canada), Portland Metro area. Now having to expand search to Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado and beyond. I'm just saying had I known this was the case before buying a Tesla, I'd have never bought one in the first place.

Shipping a car for collision repairs opens the door to many potential headaches. If something isn't right when I fly to pick it up what do I do (I've had other paint shops give me a car back with bad paint work, like visible dirt/specs in the paint, fish eyes, bad orange peel)? If something breaks under warranty later on, then I get to drive it back to get repaired by the body shop that did the work.
There are 38 Tesla repair shops south of you in California where the cars are born. Seems like a simple search.

There are 38 Tesla repair shops south of you in California where the cars are born. Seems like a simple search.
Because the West Coast has the highest adoption and concentration of Teslas in the entire country, everything I heard is that the entire West Coast is inundated with people waiting to get collision repairs. It's a simple search if you don't have a day job and take rejection well.

Can't you put this entire responsibility on your insurance company? Is it really up to you to determine which body shop to bring it to?
In my nearly 30s years of driving, I've never had the insurance company search for body shops with any claims I had. I wouldn't think that'd be something insurance companies would handle. Our adjuster did setup an appointment with a Tesla service center but they found structural damage, said it'd have to go to a body shop and acknowledged that we probably wouldn't have our car for the next 9 months. With prior insurance claims I'd always research body shops so as to get the best results (body work and paint). That doesn't seem to be an option with Tesla and you basically have to take what you can get, spends thousands to ship a car across the country, take about a week off work to drive it back or wait almost a year if you want it done local.