Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Model 3 rear ended. Is it totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 model 3 performance was rear-ended at about 30-40 mph while I was sitting at a stop light.

I was wanting some opinions to see what folks think if it is totaled or not and how much I should be seeking if it is. My car was actually ceramic coated, had window tints, frontal ppf, and chrome deleted. In addition, I only had 18,400 miles on it as well. I had the white interior option as well

The car does not turn on anymore although when I got hit the car stayed on and was even able to put it into tow mode. The car wasn’t drivable and seemed to not turn off and 12v battery could be dead although I am not 100% sure on this. When I got hit I did smell some sort of egg/battery acid type of scent that I had smelt before when my 12v died before due to a bad battery. Currently the car is dead and I can’t even open any doors to get into it. I also noticed inside the car the plastic behind my front seat is also displaced so goes to show how much of an impact I took (I am good just lower back pain and seeing chiropractor)

I know at-least one rear quarter panel on the left is damaged/bent (hard to see in images) and hear those are quite costly to replace.

Attachments

• IMG_2484.jpeg
    IMG_2484.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_2490.jpeg
    IMG_2490.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2487.jpeg
    IMG_2487.jpeg
    594.5 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    680.5 KB · Views: 180
Looks like there is a frame and battery damage, so it's likely totaled. I'm glad you are okay; I hope the insurance process is smooth. Note: insurance only covers after-market add-ons to a very minimal amount, definitely an order of magnitude less.

Last edited:
My 2020 model 3 performance was rear-ended at about 30-40 mph while I was sitting at a stop light.

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I trust everyone walked away without any injuries?

As to the car - who cares!

I was wanting some opinions to see what folks think if it is totaled or not and how much I should be seeking if it is.

The only opinion that matters is that of the insurance adjuster. Everyone else on the internet will just be shooting sh*t.
As to the residual value - Tesla's have been depreciating at a depressing rate lately. You will be lucky to get anything above 50% of what you paid for it 3 years ago. You can run your own comparable, or wait to do so if/when the time comes and you get an offer from the insurance company.

My car was actually ceramic coated, had window tints, frontal ppf, and chrome deleted.

Aftermarket mods add exactly $0.00 to the residual value of the car.
Sorry, but that's how it works.

Good luck!

That seems like a pretty bad hit. That with it not turning on sounds very expensive repair.

What was the person's excuse for the collision?
No excuse from the guy. It was an 80 year old man who hit me feel bad for the poor guy seemed to just be a complete mistake on his part.

Yea unfortunately it does not turn on my hope is just the normal 12v battery is dead but I don’t even want to mess with it to try and turn it on myself as I’m just hesitant something else will worsen

Reactions: zoomer0056
Sorry to hear about your accident.
I trust everyone walked away without any injuries?
Yea nothing major. The other guy did have a lot of bleeding on his hands from cuts.

As to the residual value - Tesla's have been depreciating at a depressing rate lately. You will be lucky to get anything above 50% of what you paid for it 3 years ago.
That sucks to hear for sure. The car does have FSD so idk if that can be used as a bargaining chip. I hope to get above 50% of what I paid but the cost of these teslas declining does not help me one bit

Reactions: zoomer0056
Looks like there is a frame and battery damage, so it's likely totaled. I'm glad you are okay; I hope the insurance process is smooth. Note: insurance only covers after-market add-ons to a very minimal amount, definitely an order of magnitude less.

It will probably be totaled, however the battery is fine.

The battery pack is about 4 feet deep - it starts at the rear of the back seat.

This is my car (sitting on the frame straightening Celette rack - the frame was perfectly straight - no damage) after being rear ended in the midst of being repaired. See how deep inside the battery pack is?

20190730_151552.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: afadeev
If the back of the car was bend down and bent in far enough that the rear floor is buckled they will total it.

This accident probably didn't reach the rear floor. Look at my pic above if you want to see where the floor starts. My trunk bucket was bent on my car and they removed it and gave me a new one. My accident wasn't extensive as his, however the damaged parts on his car appear to be the same parts damaged on my car.

car.jpg

Having FSD saved my car from being totaled as the value of my car PLUS FSD placed a value on my car too high to total.