Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla cuts 60kWh Model S, entry-level Model S is now 70D.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me, that's a pretty big casualty. When I bought my car, one of its key attractions was that I could carry 7 people + a stroller in the frunk--that's why I could justify it over a big 3 row SUV.

I'm not saying I wouldn't buy an AWD Tesla, but it's a harder sell in my mind if you take away one of the platform's key advantages, which is spectacular space efficiency. With a motor in the front and a motor in the back, the Tesla doesn't offer that much more space than a "traditional" AWD ICE vehicle.

Depends what you consider a traditional AWD ICE vehicle. If you compare the Model S to other AWD sedans, it has a lot more space.

OK possible but as I understand it the motor only takes up part of the microwave space in the back. Am I wrong here ?

It takes up the entire microwave space plus some of the rest of the frunk.

2015-tesla-model-s-p85d-frunk.jpg

2012-tesla-model-s-front-trunk.jpg

The key is that you need that space in back for a big stroller, or for the circumference of a spare.

My bet is that it is 14 '85' modules. The sixty was using lower capacity modules than the 85 does, we think by having some cells missing.

In addition, the 60 has fourteen modules in series instead of sixteen (doesn't have the two stacked in the front center,) with a lower voltage as a result.

Putting fourteen of the modules in the 85 pack together would give about 73 kWh and would simplify production instead of making it more complex.
Walter

This makes sense to me. They were producing two different types of modules for a relatively small number of cars. They've been doing an awful lot lately to cut down on the number of variants of everything going through the production line and this would fall right into line with that.

We very definitely use our frunk almost every time we go to town. The loss of that cargo space is going to hurt.

So much so we may have to buy a Model X. I heard a rumour that it is going to be released at infinity minus 1 from now.

And the stock is up $5 so far on the news.
2 blues, 3 grays, and lots of standard goodies.
I wouldnt change my red S85D for the new colors, but Go Tesla!!

PS - I think for most the loss of the 'microwave' space in the frunk doesnt much matter.

Depends what you consider a traditional AWD ICE vehicle. If you compare the Model S to other AWD sedans, it has a lot more space.

Compared to my father's Taurus SHO? Not really. It may have marginally more space, but not a lot more. It has the kid seats, which are still a killer app compared to a lot of other vehicles. But if you can't use the kid seats AND bring a stroller, the kid seats are not so useful.

The frunk in the RWD ones is tremendously useful. We use it all the time, its one of the best features of the car. With 7 people in the car, you've still got a bunch of room in the front. AWD has no benefits for me and the frunk goes from a very good size, to so small that its not worth the effort.

I think all the latest changes are great except that to get the powered lift gate, lighted door handles, fog and cornering lights you have to spend another $5K which also gets you things many won't want. And the description of the Premium Package needs to be more specific and detailed. That's a lot of money for what is described. What else is included? It's unclear.
Completely agree.
I am also somewhat disappointed that the base model price has increased even though it does include Dual Motors. Why not make a single motor 70? Since the 85 is still available as single motor why not the 70?
Because Tesla absolutely only wants four models. Don't know why, but that seems to be a line in the sand. Whenever they briefly appeared to have more than four models some were cut and they were back to four.
But on balance the latest changes make sense.
Here I disagree with you. I like the new colors, the bigger base battery, but the redistribution of features and the overall price bump for many typical configurations is quite negative

- - - Updated - - -

My biggest complaint about the revised Design Studio page is that the most prominently featured price by default is "After incentives & gas savings". That is deceptive. Of course an EV provides "gas savings" but buyers want to know the cash price of the vehicle they are considering. It's only shown at the bottom of the pricing box on the right, far below the most prominently featured price in that box. And the prices shown in the three boxes outlining the features of the three different variations are also the "After incentives & gas savings" prices.

That really irks me. I thought Tesla had moved past that sort of deceptive promotion.
Really, really irks me.
That's slimy, deceptive crap - it's the stuff why people hate car dealers.

Anyone know how the obsidian black differs in look to the regular black? Is it a blacker black w/metallic flake?
I believe it is a metallic, don't know if it is "blacker", but that seems unlikely. The standard black looks pure black to me.
I really want to see the new "Warm Silver" paint color up close and on person in daylight. On the website I cannot tell with any certainty what tints Tesla has added to silver to change the tone to create the new color.

The frunk in the RWD ones is tremendously useful. We use it all the time, its one of the best features of the car. With 7 people in the car, you've still got a bunch of room in the front. AWD has no benefits for me and the frunk goes from a very good size, to so small that its not worth the effort.
Agreed, I use the frunk regularly even though I have no kids.

I like the advantages of AWD even though I live in a mild climate, but losing all that frunk space is a negative.

YES. Though it's more entertaining when it's a day later and people are still starting new threads on the same topic, usually beginning with 'I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but...'.

:)

Honestly I think the mods are shooting themselves in the foot by moving all threads about 70D from the Model S section to the News section. Yes, I know that's probably where they belong, but not the first place I would look, don't ask me why.