Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It says rebadged Blazer, not Lyriq? (though I guess both are based on BV3?)

Still kinda weird given GM seems unable to produce any significant # of Lyriqs

Lyriq made in Tennessee.

Blazer EV made in Mexico.

ZDX made in Tennessee. Magneride air suspension and no first row ceiling grab handles like Lyriq.

ZDX Type S 500 hp like Lyriq AWD not 576 hp like Blazer SS EV.

It seems GM is ramping Ultium battery cells about as quickly as Tesla is ramping 4860 cells.

It seems GM is ramping Ultium battery cells about as quickly as Tesla is ramping 4860 cells.

Are you suggesting Tesla only sells about 1000 standard range Model Ys in the US per quarter?

Because that's about how many Lyriqs GM has been averaging, and the only other ultium car they've been selling is the Hummer whose sales don't even make it to the triple digits in a given month.

Are you suggesting Tesla only sells about 1000 standard range Model Ys in the US per quarter?

Because that's about how many Lyriqs GM has been averaging, and the only other ultium car they've been selling is the Hummer whose sales don't even make it to the triple digits in a given month.

I am suggesting that the total kWh of Lyriq, Hummer EV, Silverado EV and Brightdrop vans are roughly equal to that of 4680 Model Y and Semi.

As of right now on cars dot com there are 314 new Hummer EVs for sale.

• Informative
Reactions: KJD
I am suggesting that the total kWh of Lyriq, Hummer EV, Silverado EV and Brightdrop vans are roughly equal to that of 4680 Model Y and Semi.

<citation required>

As of right now on cars dot com there are 314 new Hummer EVs for sale.

GMs Q2 sales:

Hummer EV- 47
Lyriq- 1348
Brightdrop- Not called out specifically, but there's 298 missing from the total EVs delivered # so probably 298.

Lyriq "leading" the way with...almost 500 whole cars a month! Mind you, this isn't a new product by now- Production began March of 2022, and end of June 2023 they're still not QUITE up to making 16 cars a day.

They may well have what looks like an hilarious >1.5 years of future Hummer sales sitting on lots collecting dust, but there continues to be not much indication GM can scale to it's OWN ultium production targets, let alone ALSO produce them in any volume for others.

Vinfast is offering a 10 year 125k mile basic warranty and 10 year 1 Million Mile Battery Warranty.

Vinfast is saying they will have a hybrid sales model that includes their own showrooms and dealers. Will showrooms also be sales floors? Or will all vehicles in dealer areas be sold through dealers? I don't see dealers buying a franchise if they have to compete with the OEM.

If their is a dealer/service center near you I see this warranty getting consumer attention. The risk remains will VinFast be around in 10 years in the USA to honor these warranties? I still think the MSRP is too high. Lease deals and discounts will need to happen to move the metal.

And can VinFast make their BEVs reliable enough to keep warranty cost from eating them alive?

Kia went from an afterthought to leading brand when they introduced their 10 year 100k mile powertrain warranty and 2 year 20k mile basic warranty. Their current basic warranty is 5 years 60k miles.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Euro view

European countries are struggling to persuade people to switch from combustion engine cars to electric ones, experts warn.
Europe sells 10 times more electric cars today than it did just six years ago.

Maybe because transitions don't happen instantly but rather on S curves... With Tesla 25k, BYD etc the transition is not gonna stop anytime soon. I am not worried about it happening, sure it would be nice for the short term stock price with some extra subsidies, but even without them EVs are here to stay and everyone doing ICE is doomed. Without subsidies it would be even more brutal for the competition if they delay the transition...

European countries are struggling to persuade people to switch from combustion engine cars to electric ones, experts warn.

Maybe because transitions don't happen instantly but rather on S curves...
Europe isn't on an S Curve. 95g mandated a near-overnight leap from 3-4% in 2019 to 20% in 2021. Then a near-flatline at 20%, followed by another jump to ~30% in 2025. That's all you need to know to explain EV sales trends in Europe.

Maybe because transitions don't happen instantly but rather on S curves... With Tesla 25k, BYD etc the transition is not gonna stop anytime soon. I am not worried about it happening, sure it would be nice for the short term stock price with some extra subsidies, but even without them EVs are here to stay and everyone doing ICE is doomed. Without subsidies it would be even more brutal for the competition if they delay the transition...
I think you're missing the point. There are many forms of S-curves and the shortest ones are badly needed.

The goal isn't $TSLA price and ICE doom but the fast transition to sustainable energy (that's the EU plan and Tesla's mission). Note that Tesla could do extremely well in terms of sales, profit and stock price, while the ICE industry is being decimated, we would probably still miss the timely transition and have a catastrophe on our hand. We need the whole industry to quickly build cheap EV in volume yesterday

Stellantis has turned the Vauxhall plant into the UK’s first dedicated to producing electric vehicles at scale

50,000 light vans/year; cells from China, 50kW packs

1694347449149.png