Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla BEV Competition Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,friends, any idea if Jaguar i-pace would be a real threat to tesla financially? I read some posts for the car itself, and impression is that m3 is way better (but you know, forum bias maybe:)). Any idea about the influence to stock price? Thanks!

Others have addressed the volume difference, but imagine asking if Ford GT sales are going to be a threat to Chevy Camaro sales. Both are sports cars right? Even if every Camaro owner wanted a GT, they couldn't have one because there simply aren't enough made.

To be a financial threat, a competitor needs to be able to build at least as many cars a year, and then they have to be more compelling. The Model 3 is far more of a threat to Model S and X sales than any competitor. The only non-Tesla EV built in numbers comparable to the Model S is the Nissan Leaf. The only thing those two cars have in common is the electric drive train. The new Leaf is a little bigger than the last generation, but it's still the size of a Ford Focus or Subaru Impreza.

The iPace and Taycan are toes in the water by European car makers. More will be coming in the 2020s, but by the time any European auto maker can produce enough cars to be any kind of threat to 2018 Tesla, they will be competing with a company with a sales volume more on par with 2018 Subaru or more.

The only scenarios where Tesla goes out of business at this point are: severe worldwide economic crisis or a major screw up on a car design that gets them a permanently bad reputation. If there are a slew of Model 3 fires that are traced back to a Tesla design flaw, it could be fatal.

At this point no competitor is going to be strong enough to hurt them very badly barring one of the two problems above. In the car business, no company really forces any other company out of business. The logistics of the industry prevent it. Making cars is heavy industry and those things don't change quickly. It takes a lot of effort to put anything new into production and the competition knows exactly what you're doing years before production hits stride.

In the 1980s Chrysler came out with the "must have" vehicle of the decade: the mini-van. They sold a lot of them in the first decade and the rest of the industry scrambled to catch up, but they all did and that type of car has faded from significance. Chrysler had some of its best years and they narrowed the gap between them and Ford and GM, but they still remained #3. There are a few factors behind that: Chrysler could only make so many cars a year, a large number of people were locked into their brand of car, and what people want in a car varies a lot. Chrysler got the "soccer mom" to switch from a sedan or station wagon, but everyone else kept driving what they were driving.

Tesla has proven to be probably the most dynamic car company in 100 years or more. They can switch direction better than most, but it still takes years to get something into production because cars are complex machines.

Apple was able to push Blackberry and Motorola out of the list of major players in the cell phone market in a few years because the dynamics of the electronics industry is very different. It isn't difficult to make millions of cell phones in a year. They are much simpler machines mechanically, take a lot less effort to build, and sell for significantly less money. Apple found they had high demand for the iPhone (and Google quickly got a following with the OS they slapped together Android) and iOS and Android quickly took over the market because they could build enough to saturate it in a few years.

The car industry has a lot more large players. The biggest companies sell about 10 million passenger vehicles a year. There are three in that range every year and a lot more over 1 million. The world market for cars and light trucks is around 100 million a year. That means nobody has more than about a 10% share of the market. It's a lot more balkanized than the phone market. People have different needs for their vehicles, so there is a larger variety of types available. And the number of sales a year is a tiny slice of the actual fleet on the roads of the world. There are over 1 billion vehicles on the road in the world. That's 10 years production and it isn't feasible to increase production to a point where the replacement rate could be much higher like it is with something like a cell phone.

We may see some car companies go out of business as the car industry shifts. Fiat-Chrysler is not very healthy. Renault-Nissan has done OK with some vehicles, but they aren't as strong a player as they once were. Car companies tend to fade from eroding car sales than from anything catastrophic. Chrysler and GM went bankrupt in 2009 because they were already weakened from years of poor sales that just barely paid the bills. Ford made it through because they were in a fundamentally better place, though it was touch and go for them too.

So roll your eyes when you see a headline claiming the next "Tesla-killer" is here because whatever that particular cars does in the market place, one thing that is guaranteed from a logistics stand point, it won't kill Tesla.

For reasons of DNA Nissan cannot make a tesla competitor

Kia could, if Hyundai allowed them to. Which is unlikely.

Subaru could, if Toyota allowwd them to, which ia even less likely.

Posrche/is making Tesla competitors
How competitive they will be ia yet to be seen.(i have my doubts)

The chinese, hmmm, they probably will mop up so western automakers and come complete with mature EV tech. So overnight they will become competitors. Probably also backed by google/baidu for autonomous operation.

Reactions: jbih and neroden
I did not imply it was a sum game.

I see Taycan taking mostly Panamera sales.

Followed by 6 Series,CLS, and Audi A7.

At least for a while, I think Taycan will sell to people that for whatever reasons will not seriously consider a Model S.

And I think Taycan ASP will be much higher than Model S but Model S is the most comparable vehicle.

I hope Tesla sees a steady state 75k Model S per year and invest in that production capacity for Model S 2.0 but that is super speculative.
Sorry RobStark, my response regarding this not being a sum game was intended for oneway to his post #2009

I've posted this elsewhere but I feel it needs to appear on this thread too...….

I have both a 'Want one' reservation in for an I-Pace and a $1000 'deposit' on the Tesla M3 so I'm following the (poor) range issue on the I-Pace with interest.

Some thoughts....Tesla does a lot of stuff on the fly and uses early adopters as beta testers (much to the disgust of the auto crowd) We keep hearing that 'real motor' companies will test all Beta stuff before bringing a car to production - hence the endless testing and mules/camouflaged cars seen haunting the roads prior to release. Ditto the I-Pace.....

But it seems that Jaguar is so determined to beat Audi and Mercedes to market with an EV SUV that they have rushed the I-Pace a bit prematurely into 'production' - not withstanding the delays due to the headlights (Huh?!)

I'm fairly sure that the range issues with the I-Pace are not terminal or indefinite and are most probably software related. Even the Jaguar engineers seem to be calling aspects of the I-Pace "Beta"...!!!

There is some irony in here surely?

I've posted this elsewhere but I feel it needs to appear on this thread too...….

I have both a 'Want one' reservation in for an I-Pace and a $1000 'deposit' on the Tesla M3 so I'm following the (poor) range issue on the I-Pace with interest.

Some thoughts....Tesla does a lot of stuff on the fly and uses early adopters as beta testers (much to the disgust of the auto crowd) We keep hearing that 'real motor' companies will test all Beta stuff before bringing a car to production - hence the endless testing and mules/camouflaged cars seen haunting the roads prior to release. Ditto the I-Pace.....

But it seems that Jaguar is so determined to beat Audi and Mercedes to market with an EV SUV that they have rushed the I-Pace a bit prematurely into 'production' - not withstanding the delays due to the headlights (Huh?!)

I'm fairly sure that the range issues with the I-Pace are not terminal or indefinite and are most probably software related. Even the Jaguar engineers seem to be calling aspects of the I-Pace "Beta"...!!!

I think Jaguar sees the future and wants to be in it. But this reminds us how much it is a newbie small-timer in the Silicon Valley approach to product development. We've all said it before — everyone appears to be at least several years behind Tesla. But better to be 6 years behind than 16.

On the Tesla side of things, I think the claims "The Big Boys Are Coming — WATCH OUT, TESLA" will drop off as more of the press catches on to the fact that Model 3 volumes compete with Toyota & Honda car volumes, not Jaguar XE or I-PACE volumes.

You forgot China :)

Also BMW
The i3 panda car seems more endangered than the panda bear. They’re “future proof “ strategy is a hedge that they can win EV market share with one foot in the water, while Tesla swims ahead.
I can’t believe VW is letting another year slide due to emission problems, Audi is delayed again as is Porsche. Jag is the only alternative for Tesla haters who want an EV, besides the also Ltd Ionic. If Tesla gets to 1 million cars and 5000 trucks before anyone shows up, they will have a bigger lead in 2022 then they have today.

Innovator’s dilemma indeed!

Reactions: neroden

The claim that Tesla foists beta cars on the public with little internal testing and that other company's new cars have few bugs are both bunk. Whenever Tesla is nearing production start for a new car, test mules are seen all over California. When the Model 3 test mule program was going on I think I saw one in the Portland area (it was on the freeway going the other way so I'm not 100% sure, but it had a Tesla nose and didn't tick off all the boxes for an S or X). Also every time a new car hits the market, there are always teetthing problems.

Consumer Reports tracks car reliability and is well respected in the US for car ratings. They started a video podcast called Talking Cars and in this one they discuss car reliability and what affects it:

Cars are complex machines, especially modern cars. It takes time to work out all the bugs in an all new design. Even small changes to an existing design can set off a cascade of problems in other systems that were unanticipated. My father always had a rule about never buying a car it's first year in production. I did that with my last car, though the underlying platform had been in production 14 years and the entire drive train was well tested. I drove the car 24 years and had no fundamental problems with the car, but the new gadgets added had some problems. For example it was one of the first cars with a remote keyless entry and that died just after the warranty period and I never bothered fixing it.

There is a saying among engineers that when you set out to design a foolproof system, the universe invents a better fool. No new product survives contact with the customer unscathed, no matter how much you try to think it through. I've lost count of the number of times a user went and did something I never thought of. Sometimes the result is just questions about why it doesn't do X when I do Y, but other times it can expose bugs you didn't know were there.

All the legacy manufacturers have been making ICE for a long time. The youngest American car company other than Tesla is Chrysler which started in the mid-1920s. Most of the Japanese companies started in the 30s or just after World War II (Subaru was founded in 1915). The Koreans were latecomers and Hyundai didn't start making cars until 1967 though the company was founded after WW II. Kia started in 1944, though didn't start making cars until later (they made bicycle parts first).

When the Koreans first came to the US, most car experts considered their cars junk because they were so far behind the established players, but both Kia and Hyundai have survived and do OK now.

All the legacy car companies went through the learning process with ICE a long time ago, but electric cars are different and there are a lot of subtle things that crop up with the new drive system. For one being inherently quieter motors, customers are much more likely to notice squeaks and rattles that they wouldn't in an ICE. When people were complaining about rattles in their Model Ss here before I got mine, I actually listened to my car on the road and there were tons of little noises that you just don't notice because they are subtle compared to the engine noise.

Tesla bit the bullet and designed an EV from the ground up with the Model S. GM finally did it with the Bolt, BMW with the i3, and Jaguar with the iPace. Even at that, the Bolt is built on a highly modified platform of a GM car built overseas. Tesla didn't have decades of ICE learning to undo, but they still had issues with the Model S.

Consumer Reports has their members rate their cars on reliability and satisfaction every year. They have noted the Model X has terrible reliability but one of the highest satisfaction scores. The Bolt is too new to have too extensive a rating (only one year rated) but they have a few years for the i3. Areas where they had trouble were the electrical system, body integrity, power equipment, and in-car electronics. All 4 were rated the lowest at least one year.

Tesla does make mistakes other car companies don't because they are young and still trying to figure things out. Just when Elon thinks they have figured everything out, something new bites them. For examplehe thought they had worked out all the problems with production when they did the lessons learned from the Model X, only to make some new ones with the Model 3.

Tesla has also done some things other car makers don't do and gotten bit for it. The falcon wing doors being one of the biggest blunders. Consumers find upward opening doors cool, but there is a reason few production cars have them: they are a reliability nightmare. The Model X has been no exception.

The legacy automakers won't make the same mistakes Tesla made designing electric cars from scratch. In some cases they know better from decades of experience, and in others they learned from Tesla's mistakes. But they will make their own because they have been making ICE for so long. One thing few legacy makers have faced is the torque differences with EVs. Tesla embraced the torque, but others have just derated their cars to a point where they can't produce high torque. But the companies that want to compete with Tesla in performance will have to bite the bullet and design their cars to deal with the full toque electric motors can deliver.

About 20 years ago Dodge was developing a new diesel engine for their pickups. They had to initial restrict its output because their existing drive shaft designs tended to break rather than handle the high toque. They eventually worked out the problem, but electric motors can deliver more torque than a diesel.

In a year or so after the Taycan hits the streets we may be seeing headlines about how the Taycan is the least reliable Porsche in a long time.

Maker of single-passenger electric car files for $10 million public offering

Electra Meccanica, a Canadian company gearing up production of a single-seat car that looks like it's missing its back half, is about to go public.

The company announced Wednesday that it will list a $10 million public offering on the NASDAQ. Shares will be sold starting Thursday under the tickers "SOLO" (for common shares) and "SOLOW" (for warrants). The ticker symbols are a reference to the vehicle it produces -- the "Solo."

Solo - Electra Meccanica

Last edited:
Reactions: STARR X

Electra Meccanica, a Canadian company gearing up production of a single-seat car that looks like it's missing its back half, is about to go public.

The company announced Wednesday that it will list a $10 million public offering on the NASDAQ. Shares will be sold starting Thursday under the tickers "SOLO" (for common shares) and "SOLOW" (for warrants). The ticker symbols are a reference to the vehicle it produces -- the "Solo."

Solo - Electra Meccanica

That headline made me double take, then die laughing.

Solo - Electra Meccanica

I would actually consider getting one of these for a daily commuter. After the $7,500.00 tax credit, it would only cost around $$7,500.00

It may not meet US safety standards, and the battery might not be big enough for the full $7500.

Battery is 16kWh. Not being a car, probably an electric motorcycle so $2.5k max credit.

Problem here in Maine is that not meeting car standards means it's a motorcycle, so you need to get a motorcycle license and follow motorcycle laws. Can now get 3-wheeler classes, probably thanks to a combination of an aging population and the Spider. Otherwise, being enclosed, cheap and efficient would make something like that quite desirable. Heating likely to eat a lot of range in winter though.

These guys have an actual factory with equipment where Mitsubishi produced up to 250k cars per year, money in the bank, and in all likelihood won't take Tesla head on at launch.

Launch Of Rivian Electric Truck Draws Near, 3-Row SUV To Follow

The company is developing a single platform for many models and the first two are a five-passenger pickup truck scheduled for 2020, and a 7-seat, three-row SUV that will come afterward.

Both of those cars will be premium products with prices between $50,000 to $100,000, with long-range of up to 450 miles (724 km) and strong performance like 0-60 mph in three seconds. Off-road capabilities are promised to exceed Jeep and Land Rover.

The company hopes to produce 50,000 cars annually at the plant it acquired from Mitsubishi in Normal, IL. Initial venture capital has been provided by way of financing of $500 million.