Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Time of Use Setting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

We recently switched to a time-of-use plan that reduces our electricity cost during certain (mostly at night) hours in exchange for higher rates during (mostly daytime) peak hours. But, I can't quite figure out how to program that into the Tesla app for Charge Stats. Is that possible? Eg, can I tell it the hours when there are peak rates and low rates, seasonally?

Thanks,

Todd

Yes you can go to Settings Utility Rate Plan in the app and input your times and rates there.
Edit
Sorry I thought I was in the Energy forum if you just have the car I think you can only set a single price but not multiple for TOU plans.

Last edited:
You can only set the off peak charge end time for the car, not the start time. You may have to change it each season if your off peak time varies, or just set it to end at a time that falls within off peak year round.

Unless you have used up the whole battery or are only using 120v charging, there should be more than enough time to start and finish charging overnight by the off peak end time.

If you have a Tesla gen 3 wall connector, you can now add it to the Tesla app and it provides a hard start/stop window for charging if you want.

Yes you can go to Settings Utility Rate Plan in the app and input your times and rates there.
Edit
Sorry I thought I was in the Energy forum if you just have the car I think you can only set a single price but not multiple for TOU plans.
Yeah, that’s the issue. Here, depending on the time of day, you pay different charging prices. Isn’t that the point? So, why wouldn’t the app let you distinguish?

You can only set the off peak charge end time for the car, not the start time. You may have to change it each season if your off peak time varies, or just set it to end at a time that falls within off peak year round.

Unless you have used up the whole battery or are only using 120v charging, there should be more than enough time to start and finish charging overnight by the off peak end time.

If you have a Tesla gen 3 wall connector, you can now add it to the Tesla app and it provides a hard start/stop window for charging if you want.
Thanks. It’s not about charging the car, but how the app calculates what it costs. See my other reply.

When I set it up, it let me choose my electric utility and my specific rate plan, so I have full TOU stats. I'm not sure if you can enter this level of detail without Tesla having info about your rate plan available in the app. One of my EVSEs supports detailed TOU rates, and I can tell you it's a royal pain in the butt to enter all this in correctly.

Edit: In the course of posting this, I realized that it DOESN'T update automatically as the utility rate plans change. The first set of images I posted had the wrong data, and I had to do the "Start Over" task and reselect my rate plan to update it.

Edit 2: I also discovered that it seems to use one rate plan for the whole account, so if you have a second car based at a different address with a different rate plan, too bad. Luckily, I don't.

Screenshot_20230921-085053.png
Screenshot_20230921-085126.png

Screenshot_20230921-091433.png
Screenshot_20230921-091104.png

Last edited:
When I set it up, it let me choose my electric utility and my specific rate plan, so I have full TOU stats. I'm not sure if you can enter this level of detail without Tesla having info about your rate plan available in the app. One of my EVSEs supports detailed TOU rates, and I can tell you it's a royal pain in the butt to enter all this in correctly.

View attachment 975949 View attachment 975948
View attachment 975953 View attachment 975955
This is EXTREMELY helpful. Looks like it’s something you’re supposed to be able to select, rather than (as I was trying to do) tailor.

When I went back to set this up from scratch, I discovered a few things. First, Tesla doesn’t recognize my provider (PEPCO) as offering service in my state (MD); Tesla only shows it as operating in neighboring DC. Second, even if I pick DC, it doesn’t show PEPCO MD’s TOU plan as a choice (it’s relatively new). But, third, it DOES look like you can configure a TOU plan manually. I’ll give that a try this afternoon.

Thanks!

Just to close this out, although it was a bit laborious, I got this thing set up correctly. The two key issues were: a) recognizing that I needed to go through the whole setup process again; b) manually entering the TOU info, because the app doesn't know anything about my provider/plan. Took me a few minutes to figure out how the app wanted me to define and divide up the time periods/rates, but eventually got there. Now, let's see what this saves me!

Maybe I'm missing something here, but here's my issue:

My electric plan gives me FREE EV charging between the hours of 7PM and 1AM. I want charging to END at 1AM (actually 12:59AM, per the plan).

After all, I'm up at 7PM and can start the charging, but at 1AM I'm asleep and don't want to wake up and manually stop the charging before it goes to "pay". I can see in Scheduling how to set the START time, but no option to set the STOP time. I don't really care about the stats and all that, I just want the car to stop charging by 1AM.

Any way to do this?

Maybe I'm missing something here, but here's my issue:

My electric plan gives me FREE EV charging between the hours of 7PM and 1AM. I want charging to END at 1AM (actually 12:59AM, per the plan).

After all, I'm up at 7PM and can start the charging, but at 1AM I'm asleep and don't want to wake up and manually stop the charging before it goes to "pay". I can see in Scheduling how to set the START time, but no option to set the STOP time. I don't really care about the stats and all that, I just want the car to stop charging by 1AM.

Any way to do this?
If you have the wall connector you can now add it to the Tesla app and set a hard start/stop time.

If not, then no there is no way to set both a start and stop time for charging for the car.

Are you using 120V charging only? 6 hours should be more than enough time to recharge on 240V if you plug in daily unless you drive a lot and use up the full battery each day and you only have a low amperage setup.

Reactions: jjrandorin
If you have the wall connector you can now add it to the Tesla app and set a hard start/stop time.

If not, then no there is no way to set both a start and stop time for charging for the car.

Are you using 120V charging only? 6 hours should be more than enough time to recharge on 240V if you plug in daily unless you drive a lot and use up the full battery each day and you only have a low amperage setup.
I have the Mobile Charger, running at 240v. It's normally plenty to top up every couple of days, but at 25mi/hr I can get only 150 miles in 6 hours. I'd prefer to go longer before charging, but I run up against the time limit.

(Yes, I know I don't HAVE to stop charging at 1AM, but since it's free charging til then I want to take max advantage of it.)

Reactions: Metallicat17
I have the Mobile Charger, running at 240v. It's normally plenty to top up every couple of days, but at 25mi/hr I can get only 150 miles in 6 hours. I'd prefer to go longer before charging, but I run up against the time limit.

(Yes, I know I don't HAVE to stop charging at 1AM, but since it's free charging til then I want to take max advantage of it.)

The ability to have a hard stop time was recently added to the Wall connector (and only the wall connector) by Tesla. At least right now, you are either looking at using some third party service or other (I dont have any recommendation on that, someone else might), or getting a wall connector if you want to use only Tesla app to have a hard stop time.

Reactions: ucmndd

The solution then is to just plug in daily. There’s zero benefit to waiting longer to charge.

Edit: In the course of posting this, I realized that it DOESN'T update automatically as the utility rate plans change. The first set of images I posted had the wrong data, and I had to do the "Start Over" task and reselect my rate plan to update it.

Edit 2: I also discovered that it seems to use one rate plan for the whole account, so if you have a second car based at a different address with a different rate plan, too bad. Luckily, I don't.

View attachment 975949 View attachment 975948
View attachment 975957 View attachment 975956
When looking at the amount of KWH at home, does that include line losses or does that only count the amount of KWH added to the car? I’m assuming added to the car, so for things like 120V charging the numbers could be a fair bit higher.

Attachments

• 94A13C3B-9FC4-470D-90A7-871080733D17.jpeg
    94A13C3B-9FC4-470D-90A7-871080733D17.jpeg
    290.6 KB · Views: 16