Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Annual Shareholder Meeting and Battery Day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The guy doesn’t have the time to talk to us mortals.. too many ideas and plans in his head.
So 50% more range, for 50% less cost. 100x increase in production (Terra is the new Giga). Factories all over the world (maybe one in Devon, as he visited recently? To take advantage of the Lithium discovered in Cornwall). And no more Cobalt. And batteries being part of the structure of the car.

I’d say, this is a big day...
After hours trading -4.7%

Reactions: SisOne
Was really hoping battery day would give what they announced PLUS some direct model-specific wins, for example a LR+ on model 3/Y and also insights into software efficiency for existing power trains being improved continually.

The danger with today is it’s jam tomorrow in a constant loop, I don’t think they have linked today to tomorrow very well at all in this presentation, from the customer perspective.

The new battery tech is pretty cool though, not knocking it - just had hoped all the early adopters and existing customers would get something too as they funded the snazzy Autocue screen that Mr Musk can’t use properly.

I missed part of the presentation. Did they touch upon tabless electrode?
Yes- think it was something like 4680 tabless cells.

3A32A156-E01D-4248-A4C9-7EE2A03BF1E2.png

Last edited:
The 56% drop in KWH battery cost was interesting. It is guestimated Tesla where operating at a $115 per KWH battery cost
$100 KWH was seen as the point at which EV production costs match ICE. per which is about the cost at which EV's can be produced for the same price as ICE vehicles. If Tesla have really brought this down to about $50 per KWH then that is a game changer.

Add a) the massively simplified car chassis model i.e. 2 castings and a structural battery pack b) removing over 300 parts from the assembly process and c) $25K entry point etc etc and I strikes me that Tesla are here for the long term especially if this comes with quality improvements

Agreed Musk is no Steve Jobs on the presentation front, but he never was and it doesnt seem to have hindered him - It's all about the content ;)

V2G. I was surprised that Elon completely missed the concept of V2G. He seemed to think it was for supplying electricity to your house - it's not. He seemed to think that you would supply 100% of your battery which I don't think anyone has ever suggested. I found this lack of understanding of the V2G principle surprising and disappointing. It does mean however those folk who are developing V2G will be years ahead of Tesla!

The 56% drop in KWH battery cost was interesting. It is guestimated Tesla where operating at a $115 per KWH battery cost
$100 KWH was seen as the point at which EV production costs match ICE. per which is about the cost at which EV's can be produced for the same price as ICE vehicles. If Tesla have really brought this down to about $50 per KWH then that is a game changer.

Add a) the massively simplified car chassis model i.e. 2 castings and a structural battery pack b) removing over 300 parts from the assembly process and c) $25K entry point etc etc and I strikes me that Tesla are here for the long term especially if this comes with quality improvements

Agreed Musk is no Steve Jobs on the presentation front, but he never was and it doesnt seem to have hindered him - It's all about the content ;)

Agree, if it all comes together then it’s quite a seismic combination. What they have to learn to do is reach out better to the folks 2012-2017 that got them to this point. Basically Model S owners and Model 3 pre-order customers.

Liked the barely-disguised recruitment drive at the end.

Share price follows the rule of buy on rumour and sell before launch. If they can bring these ideas to fruition it' amazing - but it's elon time, so 2-3 years minimum.
Also consider how a £25K car affects the value of yours....
Plaid at under 2 sec 0-60 equals Roadster speeds and 500 mile range is close...
4D FSD private betas 4-6 weeks means feb/march? for the rest of us unless it falls over...

Engineers may be unpolished and quirky, but this Tesla Team is charting history, changing our world (for the better), throwing a timely gauntlet down to the ICE industry and spurring engineers across the world to be more innovative, imaginative and barrier-busting. Having spent my career in high tech, among some of the smarted 'nerds' on the planet, I considered it a privilege to learn from them, in spite of the cringe-rate. Heck, I married one of them and it was the best decision I ever made (I just have to adjust his wardrobe every now and then). Let's appreciate folks for their strengths and give them the kudos they deserve. The rest of us can't even imagine what they are making a reality.

Did I miss the million mile battery?
Remember they said these batteries were a couple of years away from mass production, I'd assume they are saving some announcements for the next battery day :). Out of my price range but Plaid looks mental for any money, let alone £131k! Also if they can nail the quality issues that too many suffer with and produce a £25k car I think they will continue to grow as a car manufacturer. I never thought this would be the case, I thought they would supply batteries, motors etc to other manufacturers.