Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

LFP Model Y battery drain whilst on Holiday

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone in the forum can help, we are going away end of the Month for 16 days and thinking of taking the Tesla to the Airport. Has anyone had experience of leaving a car that long and what the drain would be on the battery.

Airports should mass install 3-PIN plugs on a load of spaces to granny charge whilst away…

If you’re parking in the shade turn off cabin overheat, particularly if you’ve got the AC selected.
As GRiLLA says, turn off sentry and don’t be tempted to check the app. You’ll lose a few percent at worst.

Slightly off topic but does anyone use cabin overheat in the UK? Seeing as you can precondition before you get in, I don't see why you'd want that on wasting power when you might not be using the car for a long time.
Summer commuting I do. I’m a little paranoid the intense heat might make the interior peel itself apart 😬 (see steering wheel woes of many owners).
But I don’t use AC and wouldn’t use it on a trip.
Pottering to work it’s no drama, given I can lose a few % without issue.
I’ve just “invested in a roof sun shade for this summer. £6.95 from an Amazon returns shop 🤣 so can’t see any harm using that.

IMG_1538.jpeg

I’ve been deployed for 2 months (ish) now and lost 7%.

A big chunk of that was in the hours prior to leaving leaving and hoping I’d get the matrix update so kept checking the app - wasnt to be. And the second big thing was waiting for a delivery so watched the sentry camera, opened the boot, thanked the driver and then back to sleep. Since then, almost nothing.

Don’t worry about cabin overheat - only works for 12 hours after driving the car anyway. Turn off sentry and don’t keep checking on the car via the app. It will be fine. Through various updates, this is the 4th long period I’ve left the car and I’ve no concern it will be fine when I get home - in 2-5 months. (I don’t know when I’m back). Don’t worry about 16 days.

Summer commuting I do. I’m a little paranoid the intense heat might make the interior peel itself apart 😬 (see steering wheel woes of many owners).
But I don’t use AC and wouldn’t use it on a trip.
Pottering to work it’s no drama, given I can lose a few % without issue.
I’ve just “invested in a roof sun shade for this summer. £6.95 from an Amazon returns shop 🤣 so can’t see any harm using that.

View attachment 1043513
I think I'd maybe consider using it if I lived in some hot desert but for UK weather not sure it's needed. I mean yes cars can get hot inside but won't be nearly as hot as they'd get in a desert. Think the interior should be fine and just use climate before you get in.

Still could see thr temptation on some of our freaky hot days we get on occasions.

Reactions: fholbert
Gatwick gridserve has a nice diner and good facilities to rest and recharge while the car is charging.
I'd second that. We used Meet and Greet at Gatwick North last month. When we collected the car it had hardly lost any charge but we wanted some food and the car did need to be topped up if it was to get us the full 150 miles back home. So we used the new Gridserve SCs. We were the only people there, had a Costa and I noticed there's an integrated Amazon Super Market (one of these where you just scan and leave). I actually had to charge up to 100% just so we had enough time to finish our pastries :cool:

Just worth pointing out that if you're using an airport parking service and they take your key to go park the car elsewhere, or might move it whilst you're away, then you need to turn Sentry off using the slider in the safety menu before you leave it and make sure that has been done for the profile that the key is assigned to, otherwise it will reactivate when the car is moved. Its amazing how many "how come my car lost so much charge" posts there are from Tesla owners who just pressed the red circle when they parked up, or turned it off in the app when leaving the car, only to find it had been moved by the parking company, re-enabling sentry on the next drive.

Also if you have an update waiting to be downloaded, the car will keep waking up to look for WiFi, so install any updates before you leave too..

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
Just worth pointing out that if you're using an airport parking service and they take your key to go park the car elsewhere, or might move it whilst you're away, then you need to turn Sentry off using the slider in the safety menu before you leave it and make sure that has been done for the profile that the key is assigned to, otherwise it will reactivate when the car is moved. Its amazing how many "how come my car lost so much charge" posts there are from Tesla owners who just pressed the red circle when they parked up, or turned it off in the app when leaving the car, only to find it had been moved by the parking company, re-enabling sentry on the next drive.

Also if you have an update waiting to be downloaded, the car will keep waking up to look for WiFi, so install any updates before you leave too..
I use these off-site ‘valet’ parking, like the official Gatwick ones.
I use the Tesla app to disable Sentry only once I see that it has been moved to its off-site location.
This is often some hours after drop-off in the multi-storey.

My logic is that any misdemeanours are going to happen either in the multi-storey area, or whilst they pack other vehicles around it in the off-site location. I re-enable Sentry at the end of the trip, usually when waiting in a godawful departure lounge somewhere, and hopefully before the car is relocated from off-site to the pick-up zone.

I use valet-mode also, and haven’t had the car vampire any battery whilst away.