Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla Alternative?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This rather good looking Model 3 competitor hasn't had many mentions on this thread:
1686675504109.png

1686675552856.png

1686675593178.png

Last edited:
Went for a test drive of the Ioniq 6 on Saturday as a potential replacement for my M3P towards the end of the year.

Very nicely built, very quiet and relaxed, great ride (what isn't compared to an M3P!), a bit more squishy handling as expected.

Seemed nice enough inside but didn't feel 'special' in the way that the M3 does. Far too many bloody buttons to press!

Plenty of room all round but no where near as much boot/frunk space as the M3.

Software interface felt very dated and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto needed the phone to be plugged in which seems bonkers.

Actually not as interesting to look at in the flesh as in the pictures I thought which I was surprised about. A bit fussy in places.

Ultimately, it was a nice car and the better build and ride would be very desirable but overall it would definitely feel like a backwards step for me from the Tesla.

Feels like it should be cheaper IMHO.

Last edited:
Went for a test drive of the Ioniq 6 on Saturday as a potential replacement for my M3P towards the end of the year.

Very nicely built, very quiet and relaxed, great ride (what isn't compared to an M3P!), a bit more squishy handling as expected.

Seemed nice enough inside but didn't feel 'special' in the way that the M3 does. Far too many bloody buttons to press!

Software interface felt very dated and Apple CarPlay/Android Auto needed the phone to be plugged in which seems bonkers.

Actually not as interesting to look at in the flesh as in the pictures I thought which I was surprised about. A bit fussy in places.

Ultimately, it was a nice car and the better build and ride would be very desirable but overall it would definitely feel like a backwards step for me from the Tesla.

Funnily enough I took a test drive of a Genesis GV60 on Saturday arvo and came away quietly impressed. Liked it more than I thought I would.

Reactions: WyoDude

I've not driven it, but when I saw one it looks the same inside as the i5, which I thought was a bit cheap looking. If software is the same as that, then its a definite no for me. It was laggy and slow, and like you said plugging the phone if for Apple Car Play is a bit old fashioned too.

I just think this car will not sell very well compared to others.

Personally, when viewing the Ioniq 6 in real life after having seen the pictures I felt it looked better 'in real life'.

Had a look at the Volvo EX30 after seeing some mentions here. Have to say the price seems to be incredibly competitive, but I really just could not have that very 'boxy' look. As for the exterior and interior colour choices, what on earth were Volvo thinking.

That said, like someone mentioned, beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder.

Mate of mine was looking at the new Polestar 3 - but the price is absurd. Like £85K - and it’s not even that quick.
Funny enough I looked at the price today after seeing some posts on Polestar 2 (which is also overpriced for its spec). My jaw hit the floor, how on earth is that car worth that amount of money? Polestar 3 or Porsche? Hmmmmm

Now this looks an excellent proposition, a decent spec estate.

It does look an interesting proposition.

The '5 minute battery swap' idea referred to in the article is a curious proposition. Not sure how keen I would be to give up my suitably nursed battery for another with no certainty of how it has been looked after. Academic point of course, while they are all new, but give it a couple of years and there will be winners and losers.

No doubt Neo will underpin the process with some sort of guaranteed, but still...

Tesla originally planned on battery swaps. why the X/S can have it dropped from below super-fast. It was going to be an automated process and IIRC they did build a pilot station in California. The idea was cancelled when they ran into the obvious issue of having enough stock of such batteries for a busy charging point with the time taken to recharge the swap-outs.
If continually swapping batteries, there is no concern about degradation - that is the marque's problem. I'd bet there'd still ba a log-jam at busy recharge stations with a lack of automatic machines leading to queues as well as stock

Tesla originally planned on battery swaps. why the X/S can have it dropped from below super-fast. It was going to be an automated process and IIRC they did build a pilot station in California. The idea was cancelled when they ran into the obvious issue of having enough stock of such batteries for a busy charging point with the time taken to recharge the swap-outs.
If continually swapping batteries, there is no concern about degradation - that is the marque's problem. I'd bet there'd still ba a log-jam at busy recharge stations with a lack of automatic machines leading to queues as well as stock
By amazing coincidence, once CARB removed the easy swap credits, Tesla was no longer interested.

It is just possible that they were really interested but tank mode made it too difficult.

I bought this, it does some things way way better than a Tesla, such as ride quality, refinement, build quality, quietness and there is a button to release the charge cable next to the socket, whoever would have thought.

It does some things worse though, the regen/brake blending needs work as there can be a very slight jolt when coming to a stop depending on which mode the regen is set to.

You can set the start AND stop of a charging window, however Mercedes do it in reverse and it's a 'charging interruption' so for Octopus Go I have to set an interruption between 0430-1230, but it works and it's saved to my home charging profile.
IMG_3680 2.jpg
IMG_3696 2.jpg

The interior is lovely too, i'm not disappointed.