Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tank Turn for X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: ARMARM and Big Earl
They'll slip on asphalt with enough torque :D
According the article Rivian recommends against doing a Tank Turn on a paved road because it could potentially cause damage due to the increased friction. It’s an off road maneuver only.

And yes I don’t think that the Cybertruck or the X could be programmed to do that kind of turn. I can see how it could be useful in some off road situations.

Yes and tank treads are far far harder and more wear resistant than car tires.

I suppose Tesla could lock wheels and drive power to the other wheels but think of the tire wear; you could destroy your tires very rapidly.
A major part of a tires design is to keep it from sliding sideways. This type of turn is dependent on sliding the tires sideways. Just because you can force the vehicle to do it doesn't mean it's a good idea or desirable.

Yes and tank treads are far far harder and more wear resistant than car tires.

I suppose Tesla could lock wheels and drive power to the other wheels but think of the tire wear; you could destroy your tires very rapidly.

This would be for off road only. When hubs are locked for off-roading in four wheel dive, the front wheels get dragged through the sand. If you try to turn on pavement, the car bucks.

I perform these maneuvers on a consistent basis.

In my excavator! They are not appropriate for any public right-of-way: the intense degradation they cause to whatever surface they're on means that - even in/on popular 4WD backcountry trails - they should be outlawed with extreme alacrity.

More prosaically: Something's gotta give. Slide-grinding your tires over a surface means that the softer material is going to be ground - the tires if on a paved/concreted surface - and quite possibly drive parts; the earth if you're on a dirt road, farm field, sand dune and so forth. Either way, you're messing up something horrid.