Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Switched from Uberturbine 21" to stock Gemini 19"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a set of Gemini take-offs for my 2020 MYP. It was a good move overall. The total cost for wheels, tires, wheel covers, shipping = $1550. The seller had a great attitude, was very helpful, and did a phenomenal packing job to prepare for the shipping. As always, there is good news and bad news. BAD NEWS -- 1. The shipping cost, $400 from the Memphis area to Newnan, GA, (near Atlanta) was more than either of us anticipated, but since the deal was that we were to split the shipping, it turned out to be a minor issue. 2. One of the wheel covers was damaged. 3. The curb-rash problem, even with no wheel covers, is about the same as with the Ubers. I was hoping the tires would contact the curb with enough warning that it would be less likely to damage the wheels. GOOD NEWS -- 1. The ride is noticeably improved,... for me, anyway. The wife-person can't tell the diff, but she puts new meaning in the term indifferent when it comes to anything automotive. With the 21" Ubers the car felt like a buckboard compared to how it feels now with the 19" wheels/tires. Seams in the pavement, potholes, etc., are nowhere near as bothersome as before. Tire noise is reduced. The car feels a trifle less responsive on turn-in, etc., but I'm 76 now and the days of me caring about that kind of thing have passed. Overall the car is still quite sporty handling, especially for its weight. 2. I like the appearance. Forgive me, but I like the aesthetics of the exterior better with the bright aluminum appearance rather than the matte-black Ubers. I have not installed the wheel covers yet. 3. The seller immediately bought and shipped a new wheel cover to me when I showed him a pic of the broken wheel cover. 4. The cost is way better than buying new stuff from Tesla. It’s all 99% new anyway when you get a set of barely-used take-offs. Anyone need a set of 21" Ubers?

Reactions: Icehedgehog88
I bought a set of Gemini take-offs for my 2020 MYP. It was a good move overall. The total cost for wheels, tires, wheel covers, shipping = $1550. The seller had a great attitude, was very helpful, and did a phenomenal packing job to prepare for the shipping. As always, there is good news and bad news. BAD NEWS -- 1. The shipping cost, $400 from the Memphis area to Newnan, GA, (near Atlanta) was more than either of us anticipated, but since the deal was that we were to split the shipping, it turned out to be a minor issue. 2. One of the wheel covers was damaged. 3. The curb-rash problem, even with no wheel covers, is about the same as with the Ubers. I was hoping the tires would contact the curb with enough warning that it would be less likely to damage the wheels. GOOD NEWS -- 1. The ride is noticeably improved,... for me, anyway. The wife-person can't tell the diff, but she puts new meaning in the term indifferent when it comes to anything automotive. With the 21" Ubers the car felt like a buckboard compared to how it feels now with the 19" wheels/tires. Seams in the pavement, potholes, etc., are nowhere near as bothersome as before. Tire noise is reduced. The car feels a trifle less responsive on turn-in, etc., but I'm 76 now and the days of me caring about that kind of thing have passed. Overall the car is still quite sporty handling, especially for its weight. 2. I like the appearance. Forgive me, but I like the aesthetics of the exterior better with the bright aluminum appearance rather than the matte-black Ubers. I have not installed the wheel covers yet. 3. The seller immediately bought and shipped a new wheel cover to me when I showed him a pic of the broken wheel cover. 4. The cost is way better than buying new stuff from Tesla. It’s all 99% new anyway when you get a set of barely-used take-offs. Anyone need a set of 21" Ubers?
You can list the 21" Uberturbine wheel takes offs on the Tesla Parts for Sale forum.

Tesla Parts for Sale

Reactions: ballen
HAHAHAHAHA! I totally concur with "wife-person" and "indifferent." Living the same experience here.

I'm also amazed at how popular matte finishes, of any color, have become. Matte finish is PRIMER paint, with the gloss going over it.

...sigh...age 69 here...I feel your pain, and your need to ask..."Forgive me..."

I'm also amazed at how popular matte finishes, of any color, have become. Matte finish is PRIMER paint, with the gloss going over it.

Same, though I'm okay with it on wheels, especially if that's how they come from the factory.

On body panels, it reminds me of kids I saw in the late 90s who'd buy body kits for their cars, but couldn't afford to paint them so left them primers. It does make life more interesting, but I'd never want my car to look like that.

For wheels, I'm more about function over looks.

Reactions: Pianewman
Same, though I'm okay with it on wheels, especially if that's how they come from the factory.

On body panels, it reminds me of kids I saw in the late 90s who'd buy body kits for their cars, but couldn't afford to paint them so left them primers. It does make life more interesting, but I'd never want my car to look like that.

For wheels, I'm more about function over looks.

What I hated about matte (black) body panels, like the hood, is how they after waxing. It wasn't a consistent shininess.

Reactions: Tha_Ape