Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini wheel covers - A recommendation to end all others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You refer people and get $20 back per referral, great concept. Some have gotten theirs for free by doing this.
OK concept but A) I hate being 'recommended' stuff that people have a financial interest in recommending and I don't want to do that to other people and B) there's no guarantee that anybody would take my referral so I'm not gonna count on getting any money back because of it.

Reactions: KMC_307
Wish they made them in silver color like they do for the Orbital for the M3...
I agree that the silver looks good, but the problem with it is that it's a layer over black plastic. So when you inevitably curb rash the silver Rimetrix covers, the black will show thru where the silver has been scratched off. It's VERY apparent. I had to replace one that my wife really dinged up. A single cover cost just a hair shy of what other brands charge for 4 covers.

OK concept but A) I hate being 'recommended' stuff that people have a financial interest in recommending and I don't want to do that to other people and B) there's no guarantee that anybody would take my referral so I'm not gonna count on getting any money back because of it.
Fair point but 1) I am not a shrill for Rimetrix. I’m just another member of the club. 2) I am not getting rich $20 a shot. 3) I debated before adding my referral code and probably chose wrongly to include it.
Everyone has agency to make their own choices.

Reactions: SagarPatel
I also chose to get Medusas for my Y, after checking out some Amazon-made ones the quality from Rimetrix in terms of material and fitment was much better.

For mine I also got these center cap stickers—they fit well and are sticking well so far through several car washes and winter storms (I cleaned the plastic with rubbing alcohol before applying them):

Reactions: SagarPatel
That’s fair. I didn’t buy them with any expectation of recouping any money back. In fact, I bought them and because I truly love the quality/design/look/fit of them, then opted to share my referral code to pass along the word and mutual savings.

All that aside for me it was worth the full price ~$279 with shipping.

Reactions: JMGNC
I agree that the silver looks good, but the problem with it is that it's a layer over black plastic. So when you inevitably curb rash the silver Rimetrix covers, the black will show thru where the silver has been scratched off. It's VERY apparent. I had to replace one that my wife really dinged up. A single cover cost just a hair shy of what other brands charge for 4 covers.
Make sense. Being plastic, wonder if they could be colored throughout?

Make sense. Being plastic, wonder if they could be colored throughout?
You would think that adding color to the plastic before fabrication wouldn't be too hard, but many of the aftermarket covers are black. A quick search shows that ABS can come in other colors, but maybe Rimetrix couldn't get the color right trying to get the entire piece to look silver and had to do the extra layer.

Installed Medusa tonight. I had diff set ordered from Temu to save some money but order cancelled due to shipping size? Must have been a sign to buy Medusa.

Attachments

• IMG_4787.jpeg
    IMG_4787.jpeg
    714.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4788.jpeg
    IMG_4788.jpeg
    621.6 KB · Views: 11
Hope my experience with generic amazone wheel cover helps the post. Now I am considering to buy Medusa after all my Amazon wheel covers are broken.

I bought this Amazon generic wheel cover last May and all 4 wheels are completely unusable after 7 months or ~ 8k mi of installation. The look and quality did not look bad but the clips were the main issue as OP mentioned in #3.

First wheel cover failure was from tire rotation service where staff broke one clip while pulling out the cover as he wasn't familar removing it and removed by force and clip broke.

Second and third set also became unusable after the clips broke during the drive. As living in bay area, maybe the road condition on highway isnt great as they are quite of paves, that impacts may have caused stress on the clips and I was able to hear rattling sounds around the tires. After checking the wheels, I found the rattling sound was coming from the broken clips hitting against the rims.

After taking all 3 covers, I also found that center plastic clips that supposed the clip in the middle of the wheels were all cracked or broken. Not to mention removing the wheel cover was very difficult and the reason not mentioning the last set of cover is that it was soooo difficult to take it out, I am not still able to remove it. Pinching the clips with finger seems to be impossible and may required some sort of wrench like equipment.

So after experiencing all this but it really gave my MYLR a good look, seeking a second set of wheel cover that have good quality and relatively easy to remove wheel cover, I am interested in that Rimetrix Medusa now.

Or does anyone know or have recommendation of wheel cover with different types of installation or clip mechanism that is as easy and effortless as OEM wheel covers?

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
Get some from Rimetrix. The attachment/removal is easy as long as you follow the instructions and the plastic they use is thicker and less brittle than what you can get from Amazon/Aliexpress/Temu/Wish.

But I would say regardless of which covers you use, take them off yourself before taking the car in for any service where they might need to be removed. Don’t expect techs to know how to deal with random aftermarket parts.

Hope my experience with generic amazone wheel cover helps the post. Now I am considering to buy Medusa after all my Amazon wheel covers are broken.

I bought this Amazon generic wheel cover last May and all 4 wheels are completely unusable after 7 months or ~ 8k mi of installation. The look and quality did not look bad but the clips were the main issue as OP mentioned in #3.

First wheel cover failure was from tire rotation service where staff broke one clip while pulling out the cover as he wasn't familar removing it and removed by force and clip broke.

Second and third set also became unusable after the clips broke during the drive. As living in bay area, maybe the road condition on highway isnt great as they are quite of paves, that impacts may have caused stress on the clips and I was able to hear rattling sounds around the tires. After checking the wheels, I found the rattling sound was coming from the broken clips hitting against the rims.

After taking all 3 covers, I also found that center plastic clips that supposed the clip in the middle of the wheels were all cracked or broken. Not to mention removing the wheel cover was very difficult and the reason not mentioning the last set of cover is that it was soooo difficult to take it out, I am not still able to remove it. Pinching the clips with finger seems to be impossible and may required some sort of wrench like equipment.

So after experiencing all this but it really gave my MYLR a good look, seeking a second set of wheel cover that have good quality and relatively easy to remove wheel cover, I am interested in that Rimetrix Medusa now.

Or does anyone know or have recommendation of wheel cover with different types of installation or clip mechanism that is as easy and effortless as OEM wheel covers?
I posted the solution in this thread (post #4) a while back. I release the first clip or two from inside the wheel with extended reach pliers, then I can yank the rest. Mine hold really tight and no breaks yet, so indeed, you may have gotten shitty covers . This is part of the reason why I do my own tire rotations.

IMG-1593.jpg

Last edited:
I posted the solution in this thread (post #4) a while back. I release the first clip or two from inside the wheel with extended reach pliers, then I can yank the rest. Mine hold really tight and no breaks yet, so indeed, you may have gotten shitty covers . This is part of the reason why I do my own tire rotations.

IMG-1593.jpg

It would been great if I has access to under/ behind the wheel but I don't have car lift jack or similar to gain access to other side of the wheel