Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini wheel covers - A recommendation to end all others?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have about pulled the level and bought the Medusa's several times but I get my tires rotated every 6K miles and I worry with presenting these covers to Discount Tires to remove the center caps. Does anyone have experience with the tire store having any issues removing these or complaining about it? Thanks!!

So you're saying buy those for $1700, get awesome wheels that look great and don't have rims that stick out for curb rash, put my existing OEM tires on those wheels, and then sell the OEM wheels? Not a bad idea. How much did you get for your Geminis on CL? Mine have 75 miles on them.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. I sold the rims and tires without the tmps and I priced low for a quick sale. You might be able to get $1000 for just the wheels. I'd search for existing Gemini sales on your local CL to see what they're going for.

Also note that TSportline has open box specials and rotating sales. I bought Model 3 19x8.5 wheels for my wife's MYLR. They were open box, but never mounted. They previously did not offer that width for the Model Y, but they do now. It's the same wheel offered for the Model 3, so you can search the M3 bin as well.

Attachments

• PXL_20231106_214155728.jpg
    PXL_20231106_214155728.jpg
    684.4 KB · Views: 45
The 8.5 width greatly reduces the chances of curbing in a parking lot. Without the tires stretched over any of the OE wheels, you can reduce the risk. You can believe that.
I agree that you can reduce the risk but it eventually happens. I've had plenty of cars in my life with tires that stick out farther than the wheels. They all got curbed eventually, whether it was my fault or someone else's. My Y got curbed by a valet and I ended up with a new set of caps as a result. Wheel was undamaged due to the cover.

IMG-0732.jpg

Reactions: Noflash
I have about pulled the level and bought the Medusa's several times but I get my tires rotated every 6K miles and I worry with presenting these covers to Discount Tires to remove the center caps. Does anyone have experience with the tire store having any issues removing these or complaining about it? Thanks!!

I plan on removing mine before taking the car in for any service involving removal of the wheels. I don’t expect techs to be familiar with aftermarket parts and better safe than sorry. IMO the concerns about removing Rimetrix covers are overblown, just use a screwdriver and towel per their instructions or a plastic trim removal tool to get the center cap off.

Reactions: JMGNC and turnbowm
Wheel cap/cover removal is shown starting at 3:45 in the video below....

Reactions: JMGNC
Are the Rimetrix Medusas directional? In other words, two marked R for the right and two marked L for the left, so that you get the same rotation on both sides? I can’t find that info on their website.
This was my question as well.
No, they are not directional. No R / L markings nor any mention of it in the installation instructions.
That’s unfortunate but it must not matter since the stock Gemini cover aren’t directional either.

IMG_6210.jpeg
IMG_6211.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: mborkow
Received the Medusa wheel covers today and installed them. I shouldn't have waited so long. They look great and seem to be high quality. Applying the foam strips (28) was tedious but not difficult. Wheels were extremely grimy under the OEM covers and had to be cleaned. Such a great look. Happy!

Reactions: mborkow
It really seems like the Medusa is the way to go. I bought some cheaper ones on Amazon that were supposed to be symmetrical and slightly improve range. Of course they arrived all four covers identical. I have been trying to deal with non-English-speaking Chinese customer service reps over email, and it has been painful. I should’ve just bought them Medusas, even though I know they are not symmetrical.

The website claims a slight increase in efficiency. I don't track my efficiency, though.
As for the grass, thank the HOA :)
I'm not sure if this is allowed but here is my 20% off coupon code

28943OBDQ​

Sorry moderators if this isn't allowed. Just delete it.

Last edited: