Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging letter from Tesla 8-13-2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's also the definition of supercharging. It will stay free, but there's nothing to stop Tesla from throttling the charging rate at local stations for those who use them inappropriately, or stop expanding that location, or stop building superchargers altogether if the expense of adding to the network is greater than the benefit in sales. Use them responsibly and stop trying to get a specific rule or contract-- really we're better off it Tesla doesn't find it needs to do that.

The idea of throttling it down would be an interesting experiment. They go to a supercharger, and get 50amps while others around you get the normal rate.

I believe Tesla employees are banned from posting on here ;)

I think Tesla employees are banned from posting to any media website. There was a guy that worked for Tesla posting on another site. He was very positive and everything was fine until someone asked him a question about drive unit failures. He immediately deleted his account which I thought was strange.

Just to be clear, any talk of restrictions are coming from people on this thread & not Tesla. Tesla has not talked about restrictions. They made a simple request to follow good charging etiquette. And yes, it definitely could have been worded better. But at the end of the day, it's a simple request to be considerate. No threats of what might happen, nothing.

So what you're saying is that Tesla is thinking about repossessing your car if you don't obey their supercharging bylaws?

You heard it on TMC first!

Just to be clear, any talk of restrictions are coming from people on this thread & not Tesla. Tesla has not talked about restrictions. They made a simple request to follow good charging etiquette. And yes, it definitely could have been worded better. But at the end of the day, it's a simple request to be considerate. No threats of what might happen, nothing.
Agreed, though I don't really have much of an issue with the wording. It's who they sent it to that most of us find problematic.

all i know is, i pulled into roseville supercharger station the other day with 1 mile left and every stall was full and NO ONE was around. all cars fully charged. i waited for a half hour before someone showed. so yeah, move your cars.

If we are saying selfish abandonment of cars is the problem, I have a plan: It doesn't require point systems, charging for usage, mileage limits, GPS radius tracking, time between home charging, payment systems, etc. etc.

The car has a seat weight sensor, so simply cap charging to 10 minutes if no one is sat in the drivers seat.

The car has a seat weight sensor, so simply cap charging to 10 minutes if no one is sat in the drivers seat.

Just as self-destructing as throttling. Many of the U.S. superchargers are set away from main facilities at shopping malls etc. A walk to the bathroom and back will take more than 10 minutes, same goes for picking up a coffee or grabbing a bite to eat. The reality is that you'll just end up slowing down charging.

The solution is simple: don't use a supercharger if it's not necessary to get home, use fairness, common sense, and maybe a window tag with your cell number.

The solution is simple: don't use a supercharger if it's not necessary to get home, use fairness, common sense, and maybe a window tag with your cell number.
Those are wonderful solutions if we had the ability to enforce compliance. I have yet to see a single person on this forum who would disagree with you. The issue is the drivers that are not on this forum (or are, and just keeping silent).
If we are talking solutions, as we have on many other threads, what about time limit for parking. "Violators will be towed." TM probably has the ability to disconnect the cable, no?
What about having vehicles send a signal to TM from those vehicles that park there for 1 hour after being fully charged? TM can address those low hanging fruit first (before sending a letter to hundreds of good citizens).

What about having vehicles send a signal to TM from those vehicles that park there for 1 hour after being fully charged? TM can address those low hanging fruit first (before sending a letter to hundreds of good citizens).
I think the goal of the letter was to address the low hanging fruit. It's just that they messed up the algorithm.

Those are wonderful solutions if we had the ability to enforce compliance. I have yet to see a single person on this forum who would disagree with you. The issue is the drivers that are not on this forum (or are, and just keeping silent).

There are plenty of situations in life where we all comply but there is no enforcement; it's all about education.

Yes, there are members on TMC who answered the poll with an affirmative that they maybe did deserve to receive the letter. In fairness to those folks this piece of social etiquette is relatively new, superchargers didn't exist 3 years ago. And no, you're not going to see folks turn up here en masse declaring that they are blocking local superchargers; that doesn't mean they don't read it.

Tesla may have stumbled with the distribution algorithm but they took the best route they could without invading anyone's privacy - education. Some here would like to see written statements of allowable supercharger usage but I don't think that a big book of rules is going to be helpful to any of us.

How do you know all the cars were fully charged? No way to tell if a car is charging AFAIK.
The Tesla Motors wiki has this entry concerning charge port colors:

Pulsing White -ready
Pulsing Yellow -UMC not fully inserted
Solid Blue - connected and communicating
Pulsing Green - charging (can take a minute or two to start)
Solid Green - charged to the level set in on the charging screen or in the smartphone app for that location.
Red - Failure (possibly hardware)

http://www.teslamotors.wiki/wiki/Q:_What_do_the_colors_on_the_charge_port_mean?

So if the charge ports were all sold green then that would mean they are fully charged.

Of course, they go dark after the car locks. So one would have to go depress the charger handle button in order to "activate" the LED ring. And we all know that's yet another contentious conversation.
Good point. I wasn't aware that it didn't stay illuminated as it does on other cars.

Can you tell from looking at the dash or does that all turn off as well?

Last edited:
Some local surpercharging stations in the Bay Area (CA) are always full during lunch time. I passed by the Mountain View couple times and it's ALWAYS all occupied. One time we had lunch near the Mountain View SC and it's full. Over an hour later after we finished lunch and the same cars were still there. Maybe Tesla needs to hire "Charging Valet" to guard the local SC or start charging people if they don't remove their cars 15 mins after they're done charging!

I found this reminder on the "My Tesla" page for my 85D. As mentioned earlier, I had also received the email on local SC use in error.

Anyone have this? I don't recall seeing it on that page before. It is above my referral link, just below the picture of the car.

Seems a bit much for someone who ran an extra panel to support an 80A HPWC before the car was delivered. Yes, I know mistakes happen, and this is not offensive-but I'd like to get off the "naughty" list.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 531
Last edited:
Just as self-destructing as throttling. Many of the U.S. superchargers are set away from main facilities at shopping malls etc. A walk to the bathroom and back will take more than 10 minutes, same goes for picking up a coffee or grabbing a bite to eat. The reality is that you'll just end up slowing down charging.

I agree that everyone played nice it wouldn't be a problem.

However malls are IMHO a particular problem, even in the UK. I've seen multiple posts on UK fora of people saying how they save up, go to the mall, go shopping leaving their car until they've finished. When pointed out that this is not "good" etiquette, there are mixed reactions. Some saying "fair enough", some saying "I paid for it", some say "I'll just flatten the battery more and set it to 100%, that will give me more time!". By requiring physical presence you dissuade the abandonment and "nickel and diming".

OK it's not as convenient, as it means you have to be in the car. But it's still free and unlimited to the extent owners are willing to sit in their cars. The downside to "good citizens" is if the time to get a coffee and return to your car is > 10 minutes, you must re-initiate the session on return. The inconvenience would be the difference between 10 minutes and your actual "coffee fetch" trip time, so lets say 10 minutes max. Would that be better than the inconvenience of arriving and all the stalls being blocked with the owners all AWOL?

In fact Tesla could be selective on this. With some Superchargers where congestion/abandonment is a problem requiring presence, others where it isn't don't.

An added bonus to this would be each of these non presence session time outs can be counted, and easily flagged to Tesla to address persistent "abandoners".

Last edited: