Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving Notes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Store and Service Center open tomorrow in Finland. Current owners were invited to opening ceremonies this evening and the Nordic head of Tesla gave a speech and answered questions. When asked if there will be a Supercharger at the Store/Service center he emphatized many times that Superchargers are only for long distance driving. My impression was that they have definitely been told to emphatize this now. To support this message he also said that it is not good for the battery to supercharge often. That's the first time I've heard it from Tesla.

Tesla Store and Service Center open tomorrow in Finland. Current owners were invited to opening ceremonies this evening and the Nordic head of Tesla gave a speech and answered questions. When asked if there will be a Supercharger at the Store/Service center he emphatized many times that Superchargers are only for long distance driving. My impression was that they have definitely been told to emphatize this now. To support this message he also said that it is not good for the battery to supercharge often. That's the first time I've heard it from Tesla.

Oh boy... that's not a good statement at all.

To support this message he also said that it is not good for the battery to supercharge often. That's the first time I've heard it from Tesla.
Pretty interesting as the FAQ say.

How often can I Supercharge? Is it bad for my battery?
Supercharging does not alter the new vehicle warranty. Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

Supercharging | Tesla Motors UK (Supercharging | Tesla Motors UK)

I fell like this should be mentioned there if that's the case.

Supercharging - Elon's statement that Daily Supercharging Users are Receiving...

Altering the warranty and accelerating degradation from daily Supercharging may be two different things. Maybe the hit from what they thought people might Supercharge (maybe 2-3 times a week on average) wasn't that big but the 5-10x per week crowd might see a faster degradation that is still considered normal wear for the warranty. Obviously just a guess.

Hi everyone,

I've been out backpacking in the wilderness for the past 5 days. Instead of reading through the last several pages of posts, can someone fill me in on whether there is any new information here, or has everything been the same old discussion, beating the same dead horse?

I'll put in one more effort at common ground:

Perhaps as a common takeaway from the thread we could at least agree that Tesla changing the Supercharging messaging? I doubt anyone wants to deny that, no matter what opinion they may hold on the topic itself?

Spidy said:
Pretty interesting as the FAQ say.

How often can I Supercharge? Is it bad for my battery?
Supercharging does not alter the new vehicle warranty. Customers are free to use the network as much as they like.

Supercharging | Tesla Motors UK (Supercharging | Tesla Motors UK)

I fell like this should be mentioned there if that's the case.
Interesting, they have not changed the UK site yet. US site used to state the same thing but not any more.

This has been noted before, but just to kind of show the confusion, this is how Tesla has changed the FAQ wording throughout the year, subtly making qualifications and clarifications, where there previously were none. UK page making no mention of the urban Superchargers. This is a new(ish) question but has still changed frequently.

US wording in January 2015:

How does Tesla decide where to put the Superchargers?
Tesla locates Superchargers to enable the most popular routes, accounting for distance and local driving conditions. Superchargers are located in developed locations where customers want to stop, such as cafes, restaurants, and shopping areas.

US wording in April 2015:

Tesla places Superchargers along the most popular road trip routes, accounting for distance and local driving conditions. Superchargers are located in developed locations where customers want to stop, such as cafes, restaurants, and shopping areas.

Current US wording in June 2015:

How does Tesla decide where to put Supercharger Stations?
Tesla Supercharging technology enables long distance travel for Model S along major highways. We use precise energy modeling and locate Superchargers near amenities, such as hotels, restaurants, and shopping areas.

Internet Archive Wayback Machine

For comparison, current UK wording in June 2015 - but again, this question has not always been there:

Tesla places Superchargers along the most popular road trip routes, accounting for distance and local driving conditions. Superchargers are located in developed locations where customers want to stop, such as cafes, restaurants, and shopping areas.

Perhaps as a common takeaway from the thread we could at least agree that Tesla changing the Supercharging messaging? I doubt anyone wants to deny that, no matter what opinion they may hold on the topic itself?
Is it clarification or at the level of "changing" the message? In discussion from another thread before the recent event in Finland, it has been pointed out the FAQ sidesteps the question of if supercharging is bad for the battery. It only says it doesn't void the warranty, however the warranty doesn't cover degradation, so that doesn't answer the question. And given the recent development, the answer is likely yes, as we suspected.

Although, it should be pointed out that there are different levels of "bad". So far the Model S haven't experienced as bad degradation as the Leaf. However, for a 10 year old Model S that supercharges for all charging vs a 10 year old Model S that supercharges only occasionally, most likely the former has measurably worse degradation than the latter.
Depends. Supercharging with the rates that happen when the battery is < 50% (rates over 1C) are more than likely not the best for the battery. This is certainly why Tesla side steps this question of if it hurts the battery with the "it won't void the warranty" answer instead of a direct "yes" or "no," most likely because the answer is yes.
Sorry, but that's not true at all. Even home charging has degradation, and supercharging definitely results in quicker degradation than home charging. This is borne out in all battery models that higher c-rates result in quicker degradation all other things being equal. Like wk057 says, Tesla side-steps the question by saying it doesn't void the warranty, but the warranty doesn't cover degradation.

Last edited:
Although, it should be pointed out that there are different levels of "bad". So far the Model S haven't experienced as bad degradation as the Leaf. However, for a 10 year old Model S that supercharges for all charging vs a 10 year old Model S that supercharges only occasionally, most likely the former has measurably worse degradation than the latter.

1. Measurable may not equal significant, or it may, no one knows this yet. (e.g. the difference between the two strategies may be 2% or it may be 15%)

2. Significant degradation varies by individual. Someone who typically drives 50 miles a day will have fewer concerns than someone who drives 150 miles a day. A car that's down to 150 miles still be perfectly usable for the 50 mile a day person but will be problematical for the 150 mile a day person.

3. Elon"s message is: "Supercharge when needed but don't be a jerk". I'd suggest this is more of a clarification than a policy change. The two statements that stick in my mind from as far back as I can recall** are: Daily Supercharging will not harm the battery. and Superchargers facilitate unlimited long distance travel and are free forever. The only change to this is that there are now some Superchargers that are specifically for those who have no home charging.

** Yeah, yeah, I know, "as far back as I can recall" isn't saying much.

1. Measurable may not equal significant...
2. Significant degradation varies by individual...
3. ...The only change to this is that there are now some Superchargers that are specifically for those who have no home charging.
Agreed on points 1 and 2, but the statement quoted that "it is not good for the battery to supercharge often" is still consistent with that though. I would still file that under clarification.

I also see the "city superchargers" is a policy change (meaning changing the policy to support more local use vs long distance), but of course the other side says it's the other way around.

However palatable it may not be for cheapskates and free loaders, it is the right statement. It does good for customers overall and the company.

No, it is not good at all. Did you read the statement in boldface? Saying that Supercharging is not good for the battery is a terrible statement and contrary to the company's position to date. I don't see how anyone can see this as anything but negative. If Supercharging is not good for the battery, then imagine what the media will say. And owners will hesitate from supercharging, which is completely against the purpose of having the network in the first place. Owners don't need to supercharge in fear of damaging their batteries. It's complete nonsense.

No, it is not good at all. Did you read the statement in boldface? Saying that Supercharging is not good for the battery is a terrible statement and contrary to the company's position to date. I don't see how anyone can see this as anything but negative. If Supercharging is not good for the battery, then imagine what the media will say. And owners will hesitate from supercharging, which is completely against the purpose of having the network in the first place. Owners don't need to supercharge in fear of damaging their batteries. It's complete nonsense.

I agree completely.

AnxietyRanger said:

Thanks for your effort. I'm just not so sure anyone really cares anymore.

I would agree the number of interested people has diminished and is limited, but judging from the replies, I doubt it is zero yet. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Is it clarification or at the level of "changing" the message? In discussion from another thread before the recent event in Finland, it has been pointed out the FAQ sidesteps the question of if supercharging is bad for the battery. It only says it doesn't void the warranty, however the warranty doesn't cover degradation, so that doesn't answer the question. And given the recent development, the answer is likely yes, as we suspected.

I still have to separate the message from the underlying facts. Marketing often makes the separation - at least through omission.

I have no problem believing excessive Supercharging may be bad for the battery. I am 100% sure Tesla researches the fact and that fans discuss the fact - and both have done so way prior to today. For years, I'm sure. However, I would say it is a change of message when Tesla starts saying Supercharging too much is bad for your battery. That is not mere clarification. Previous message didn't say so, it sidestepped the matter. If they now say so, and didn't before, that is a change of message. The previous message avoided saying such a drastic thing. Or, at least what we've heard suggests that much, unless the Finland example were to remain an outlier.

Same, of course, with the question of long distance only Supercharging - although I concur it is a separate (but possibly connected) issue. You feel they are clarifying the message, I feel they are changing the message. Again, the underlying facts are different from marketing. Tesla can and did build a network to enable long-distance driving, but if they market it so liberally that the fact and intent is lost on the receiver, later on clarifying the message to include only long-distance driving constitutes as a change of message. Now, I understand we are in disagreement over the fact did Tesla market liberally or not. You say no, I say yes. I understand and am not trying to make you change your mind of that.

So, back to the change of message. Maybe it helps to look at two different issues:

1) Do you think Tesla is changing the message with "Supercharging is bad" from their previous message?

2) Do you think Tesla has, in 2015, become active in making changes to the written and spoken text of Supercharging for the purpose of underlining the long-distance only aspect?

None of these have to change any intent or any facts, they can remain as they are, and our disagreement can remain as it is, but do you agree in these two areas Tesla has become active in changing the way they market and pitch them?