Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Canada! Not happening! At least not yet.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only been on TMC since September 2013, but I have heard the same complaints from every continent. Canada is no different. When Tesla launches the Model S in a particular country the SC network is just starting. The network will happen, be patient. There was no SC network in the US when the first Model S's were sold either.

In the history of car manufacturing, no other company has ever successfully set up a global network of "fueling" stations. Tesla is actually making it happen. No small task, and building out the network will continue for many years to come.

We are all early adopters and there have been many bumps in the road, but it is starting to smooth out.

Completely agree that Tesla must be given major props and some slack given the magnitude of what it is undertaking.

However, I disagree with your generalisation of Canadian owner's complaints being the same as every continent where Tesla cars are introduced.

Canadian sig and early production owners (including myself) started getting vehicles in december 2012, a bit later than their US counterparts. Since then the SC network in the US has grown steadily (99+), and Tesla built useful numbers of SCs in Europe (let's forget Asia for now given the number of SCs there is negligible compared to land area). During that entire period, the only thing we got north of the border were delays...

Of course SCs are not the main reason I got my car, but many owners were banking on at least SOME functioning SC infrastructure live before the summer holiday season, which is short for us, and almost halfway done...

The fact that first adopter owners up here are expressing so much frustration (and it generally takes quite a lot for canadians to vocally complain) says a lot.

Last edited:
I would also like to point out that until about a month ago, there were zero French superchargers, there are now 5 in France plus one right over the border in Switzerland.
I fully expect something similar in Canada, over the next few months there should be 5 or so Canadian superchargers.
Could be some issue with licensing, contractor or something of the kind.

I fully expect something similar in Canada, over the next few months there should be 5 or so Canadian superchargers.
Could be some issue with licensing, contractor or something of the kind.

Who are they really kidding? We were promised super chargers last year...nothing...this year so far 1 in BC. Canada is a very, very large country! The Ontario chargers were to be up and running last year to date zero have broken ground! There are always problems when dealing with utilities and government but don't mistake this with the lack of planning Tesla has for Ontario. Quite simply the dropped the ball a year ago and still have not picked it up yet. I will repeat, its lack of planning and having the right people in place.

On the Canada forum there is a poll of when we will get the first supercharger, BC has the first over a week ago. I am still saying November for the first one in Ontario and probably next year before the first usable on the main highway corridor thru the Province (Toronto will not count as unless you are traveling to the east end of the city it is useless, ).

Canadian's are some of the most easy going people there are in the world, patience we have a lot, but the lack of communication is embarrassing. If you want to make us happy, pick the location, communicate the reason for the delay and maybe give us a proper check list as to where the process stands. Right now its just rumor and speculation, and that just pisses everyone off.

There are always problems when dealing with utilities and government ...

Aside from the fact that utilities and government are two different things, I can assure you that Ontario electric utilities are ready eager and willing to connect these things up. It is a very simple connection that utilities do every day for commercial buildings and such. There is nothing really any different.

I've been told that some of the issues revolve around local ordinances concerning the way properties are zoned for usage. A mall parking lot might not be zoned for "automotive servicing" or however they would categorize a Supercharger, and there may also be zoning issues around the (real or perceived) traffic flow changes.

Aside from the fact that utilities and government are two different things, I can assure you that Ontario electric utilities are ready eager and willing to connect these things up. It is a very simple connection that utilities do every day for commercial buildings and such. There is nothing really any different.

I've been told that some of the issues revolve around local ordinances concerning the way properties are zoned for usage. A mall parking lot might not be zoned for "automotive servicing" or however they would categorize a Supercharger, and there may also be zoning issues around the (real or perceived) traffic flow changes.

Nothing particularly Canada specific about that. I also think there are plenty of other issues. Site selection (location, access, amenities,...) plus negotiations with rights holders make supercharger siting a complex beast. Elon has made comments about how easy it was in Norway, the implication being that it's not so easy anywhere else.

so no doubt they dropped the ball a long time ago and were making false promises they could not keep...as they were not trying early enough.

Greetings,
Anyone has info on reasons why the SC in Drummondville,Quebec, site seems to be on hold ?

Anybody that is in the know is not divulging any info but my best guess is it is due to Hydro Quebec dragging their feet for some reason. Could it be because they (Hydro QC) are a monopoly and the superchargers are seen as competition to the chademo network they are setting up through Circuit Electrique? Or is it just the usual bureaucratic molasses stuck on their boots ...

Anybody that is in the know is not divulging any info but my best guess is it is due to Hydro Quebec dragging their feet for some reason. Could it be because they (Hydro QC) are a monopoly and the superchargers are seen as competition to the chademo network they are setting up through Circuit Electrique? Or is it just the usual bureaucratic molasses stuck on their boots ...

well I just received an email from Circuit Electrique that they are opening up their 4th and 5th Chademo chargers so they (HQ) are not having any issues with setting up high voltage charging stations (especially when it is part their own project) ... can you say conflict of interest?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see more infrastructure going out but I am getting increasingly skeptical about their ability/willingness to approve the Tesla Supercharger in Drummondville with impartiality.

well I just received an email from Circuit Electrique that they are opening up their 4th and 5th Chademo chargers so they (HQ) are not having any issues with setting up high voltage charging stations (especially when it is part their own project) ... can you say conflict of interest?

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see more infrastructure going out but I am getting increasingly skeptical about their ability/willingness to approve the Tesla Supercharger in Drummondville with impartiality.

I really hope it's not about conflict of interest... More charging station is good for everyone even if not all can use them because of different adapter/connector. I don't see why HQ would not sell their electricity to Tesla, the more they sell the more money they make anyway.