Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
no mention of another price hike on the Superchargers, now 70c /kW. Even with the most generous Wh/km this now more expensive than fuel. Just outrageous
At 150Wh/km (a little higher than my Model Y RWD lifetime average - and it spends its life on freeways), 100km would consume 15kW of power, at a cost of $10.50.

In my previous Subaru Forester, I would use 7l/100km, and with fuel at $2.20/litre, this leads to a cost of $15.40.

By all reports, the Subaru was reasonably fuel efficient compared to some other vehicles out there.

With apologies, I'm not seeing your math stacking up?

Doesn't stack up for me either.

70c/kWh at 160 Wh/km = $11.20/100 km.

For a petrol car (@ 8L/100 km) to cost the same amount, it would need to be $1.40/L petrol.

And considering that most of my charging is at home (@ 17c/kWh), lets be conservative and say only 80% at home (and 20% at superchargers), that would still be an averaged rate of 27.6c/kWh. Using the above conversions, that's the equivalent of 55c/L petrol.

no mention of another price hike on the Superchargers, now 70c /kW. Even with the most generous Wh/km this now more expensive than fuel. Just outrageous

1697450005344.png

Huh?

Was noted almost a month ago when it occured.

Doesn't stack up for me either.
70c/kWh at 160 Wh/km = $11.20/100 km.
For a petrol car (@ 8L/100 km) to cost the same amount, it would need to be $1.40/L petrol

As for mileage, my BMW 320d '09 use to get 4.5l/100km on the highway, and at $2 a litre we're now at close to even money.
Anyone owning an S/X it's now just as expensive as an ICE.
Not a great selling point anymore and paraphrasing Elon, he wasn't meant to be using this a source of revenue. And just on this point, the further down the road we get to renewables, the more expensive it's becoming, not the other way around as promised.
Hydro is the most purest and cheapest form of renewable yet seems the least talked about and pursued. Once again, politics before any form of common sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: bay74 and STUtoday
In any case as others have mentioned, most people are charging at home where I get (probably one of the worse rates, thanks Ergon) 22c/kWh. This is 68% of my total charging split. This means my average if the remainder of my charging was purely superchargers (its not) would be 37.36c/kWh.
Highway charging may indeed end up costing more than fuel (unlikely) but where home charging is under our control, this keeps EVs cheaper.
One might be tempted to buy a ICE just for road trips then. This is ludicrous idea because who would sink 50k+ into a car just for highway trips?

And just on this point, the further down the road we get to renewables, the more expensive it's becoming, not the other way around as promised.

Electricity price rises over the past 2 years have been mostly due to price increases in fossil fuels, particularly gas. And the way our wholesale electricity market works, the most expensive fuel often sets the marginal price. So it’s not until fossil fuels are almost completely eliminated will the inherent cost advantage of renewables finally be realised. SA is getting very close to that point.

How the right-wing media manage to twist this 180° and blame renewables is quite bizarre and completely wrong. But they don’t deal in facts.

Hydro is the most purest and cheapest form of renewable yet seems the least talked about and pursued.

It’s actually now the most expensive form of renewable power. Very difficult to find good and acceptable sites, and hugely expensive and time consuming to build.

Regarding Supercharging costs… there are other DCFC networks out there, and you are allowed to use them.

now the most expensive form of renewable power. Very difficult to find good and acceptable sites, and hugely expensive and time consuming to build.
And generally hated by the environmentalists as it's often destroying what's often native land supporting wildlife.

And don't mention the financial disaster of Snowy 2.0 (or pumped hydro, basically using midday solar to pump water back up hill so you can create electricity at night).
Originally toured by PM Turnbull in 2017 as a $2bn project, it's now $13bn and growing.