Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the Japanese have banded together. We are down to 2/5 - Mansfield and Batemans Bay.
Yeah, we are now in a worst state than before I began the campaign! :(

But who knows, the Japanese voters much have done their en-masse voting anyway though.

Progression of the voting:

Green = the "voting block" five
Blue = the high ranked but intentionally omitted sites (Orange and Batemans Bay)
Red = Japan
Grey = other Australia
Orange = other Asia-Pacific locations

1696510585922.png

Perhaps in hindsight I should have included Orange and Batemans Bay in the list, just to get them off the list for next month. It's going to be another three months of explaining not to vote for Orange.

Interestingly, the increase in vote count for those two was almost the same as the "voting block" 5 during the entire two weeks. A lot of people seem to have seen the reminders to vote but ignored the recommended list.

We're now at the awkward stage where we don't know when the campaign is going to end. Last time round it was the 12th day past the end. The time before that it was the 5th day. The next round starts immediately after this one finishes (we don't know what sites will change on the list yet). So I'm basically at the "wake up every day and check the page to see if it's reset" routine!

Reactions: RichardV
And last time we ended up with five South Korean sites and they wiped the floor voting wise.

Yeah - five, and only five South Korean sites were in the list - so they were effectively forced into a voting block.

So far this round, 9543 votes have been made for Australian sites. If we were organised and all voted for the same five, they'd get over 1900 votes each!

Personally I'm not sure if it makes a massive difference. Tesla has lots of sites under investigation/ progress/ construction, and it's not voting that determines the timetable.
I don't know if it does either. For all we know every site on the list is one that Tesla already has plans for, but we don't know that. And the fact they put (for example) Southern Cross as "2025" suggests it wasn't really planned and they now have to put some work into going somewhere they weren't really thinking about.

Reactions: cafz
I meant to ask… what is so terrible about voting for Batemans Bay and Orange?
It's because they're already included in the NSW Govt's grant list - they're going to get built either way, the voting won't make a difference.

The only upside of them making the top 5 is at least Tesla takes them off the list for the following quarter!

PS. I see you have triggered an article on thedriven.io 😄
Yeah, unfortunately Riz didn't actually mention the "voting block" five sites, or link to the Google Doc with the info :-(

But we're at the tail end of Q3 (I've been saying that for a week though...) will probably wait until Q4 voting starts before making another big push.

The article at TheDriven has given the Aussie sites a last minute uptick in votes. Although oddly enough, the Japanese sites at exactly the same time.

Green = the "voting block" five
Blue = the high ranked but intentionally omitted sites (Orange and Batemans Bay)
Red = Japan
Grey = other Australia
Orange = other Asia-Pacific locations

1697030550891.png

I'm predicting the round to end somewhere between 10am-12pm AEDT tomorrow (last two rounds ended at ~5pm California time on a Wednesday).

If this happens, the Q4 voting block will be:
  • Port Wakefield, SA
  • Campbell Town, Tas
  • Leongatha, Vic
  • Braidwood, NSW
The fifth site would be dependent on what new sites are added, if any. If new regional Qld/NT/WA sites are added I'd like to include them; preference to Qld/NT since WA has had a winner in a previous round.