Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Superchargers in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More proof, if it was ever needed, that the original decision was an impulsive and emotional one by Elon. Act first, think of the consequences later. That’s not the kind of CEO I have respect for, because it leads to poor business decisions, loss of organisational trust, and brand damage that is difficult to reverse. This is entirely consistent with the evidence: there was no official Tesla statement on the day, no media Q&A issued, no transition/continuity plan communicated or put into effect, suppliers were immediately cut-off without anyone in Tesla to talk to.

None of that would have been the case had this decision been properly planned and executed in a responsible manner.

It’s also really expensive to hire people back in after firing them (even if they want to come back… many smart and high-performing ones won’t) because hiring takes time and costs money, which is another reason why it’s dumb to sack first and rehire later, rather than go through a robust process prior to work out who you need to retain and who you get rid of.

Elon possibly didn’t even warn the Board he was going to do it, we’ll probably never know.
I think you're being a bit tough on Elon. After all, the shareholders are making him fight for his AUD $84.9 billion bonus and that's making him very cranky.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 4.07.02 PM copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-05-14 at 4.07.02 PM copy.jpg
    732.7 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I still don't get why people are so apoplectic over what happened. Why does Rocketman or for that matter anyone have to abide by "the usual way of doing things".
It's a very valid point.

If Musk was a normal person he probably would never have achieved the BEV or Reusable Rocket dream. Because any normal person would have worked out that it wasn't achievable (under the normal rules).

No normal CEO would have risked that kind of money.

And for those saying "the Board should have more oversight" - maybe no normal Board would have let him risk that kind of money either.

That doesn't make him a nice person to work for though - I suspect a lot of his employees may admire him but not necessarily like him. I don't like him - but I like my Tesla and my Starlink.

I also don't share his Mars colonisation dream. Building Tesla is helping the world. Building Starlink is helping the world. Mars? It's kind of cool, but it won't help the world much and that money could be useful elsewhere. But if that's what's driving him to build the best reusable spaceship in the world, then whatever...

As for Superchargers - of course, I want more Superchargers - and I bought a Tesla on the assumption that they would continue to be built. But I actually really want a decent non-Tesla charging network to be built, because I want genuine competition in the EV market. At the moment, I don't really feel comfortable buying any other brand of EV because of the lack of non-Tesla charging infrastructure. Most of the new Superchargers planned are under NSW/QLD grants so they will also charge non-Teslas. This is good. Hopefully they still go ahead. (Pity about the other states though - yes I'm looking at you VIC - I know you're still sore about that RUC thing, but we need some more chargers, OK?)

Again quite common for departments in Tech companies (and many other industries, just Tech is where I have first hand experience on this) to be let go and have to re-apply for their jobs. Nobody 'just sends them home' on a paid holiday for a couple of weeks.

Sending them home for a couple of weeks if just my way of saying let it ride for two weeks, still cheaper.

Again quite common for departments in Tech companies (and many other industries, just Tech is where I have first hand experience on this) to be let go and have to re-apply for their jobs. Nobody 'just sends them home' on a paid holiday for a couple of weeks.
This happened in GE quite frequently. 100% of the IT staff fired and 50% rehired after an interview.

It's a very valid point.

If Musk was a normal person he probably would never have achieved the BEV or Reusable Rocket dream. Because any normal person would have worked out that it wasn't achievable (under the normal rules).

And for those saying "the Board should have more oversight" - maybe no normal Board would have let him risk that kind of money either.
Exactly the point.

Musk might not be everyone's cup of tea, but the level of genius is undeniable (except in those blinded by petty hatred).

None of the dozens of things his companies have achieved would ever be achieved by a "conventional" CEO, yet those who demand that he conform to their round hole insist that he must agree with every political/philosophical view that they hold and must act exactly how they deem is appropriate or else.

Ma
It's a very valid point.

That doesn't make him a nice person to work for though - I suspect a lot of his employees may admire him but not necessarily like him. I don't like him - but I like my Tesla and my Starlink.

I also don't share his Mars colonisation dream. Building Tesla is helping the world. Building Starlink is helping the world. Mars? It's kind of cool, but it won't help the world much and that money could be useful elsewhere. But if that's what's driving him to build the best reusable spaceship in the world, then whatever...

As for Superchargers - of course, I want more Superchargers - and I bought a Tesla on the assumption that they would continue to be built. But I actually really want a decent non-Tesla charging network to be built, because I want genuine competition in the EV market. At the moment, I don't really feel comfortable buying any other brand of EV because of the lack of non-Tesla charging infrastructure. Most of the new Superchargers planned are under NSW/QLD grants so they will also charge non-Teslas. This is good. Hopefully they still go ahead. (Pity about the other states though - yes I'm looking at you VIC - I know you're still sore about that RUC thing, but we need some more chargers, OK?)

Mars is about making human kind a multi-planet species...not about helping Planet Earth.

Reactions: Chuq and OzVic
By the way… I called this back on 2 May:
I think we all expected and stated that re-hires were likely.

It fits with his philosophy that has served Tesla well of delete until you have to add some back. It also fits with the scenario that he lost confidence in the senior leadership and their ability to make the tough decisions required in this environment.

The company I work for suffered badly during COVID. They stood a lot of people down on no pay/Jobkeeper and offered a lot of VR’s. The trouble was that the highly competent employees that could walk into another job easily, departed, and only the dead wood stayed. Particularly in the departments with highly portable skills like IT. Coming out of COVID the loss of these employees made it very difficult for the company to ramp up again. A tremendous loss of valuable employees and corporate knowledge.

I hope Musk offers the “good ones” a decent enough incentive to return. I guess at least he doesn’t have to rehire the dead wood. I don’t know about US law, but I thought that in Australia, the workplace laws prohibit making everyone redundant and then rehiring who they want - forced redundancies have to be genuine. But I’m no employment lawyer.

Reactions: Vostok
don't share his Mars colonisation dream.
Yes, his biography informs the reader about some of the stuff that is swirling in his brain at any point in time.

I don't care about Mars either and have no interest going there. If Rocketman wants to think crazy stuff, it's not for me to say he can't because the crazy stuff like Electric cars faster than a Ferrari, low latency internet via thousands of low earth orbit satellites and reusable rockets that land at sea on drone ships is now real.

not about helping Planet Earth.
I understand he is leveraging planet earth for planet mars but the stuff he is putting on planet earth is actually beneficial

I called this back on 2 May:

Yes, and that may well be his usual modus operandi - see X(FKAT). The "rehire" of #2 top dog at Supercharging is interesting. Some suggest he never departed... In any case, the point is that supercharging never collapsed, and is consistent with his public comments. The roll out continues....

Reactions: dronus and Jules22
I still don't get why people are so apoplectic over what happened. Why does Rocketman or for that matter anyone have to abide by "the usual way of doing things".

Because there is a right way and wrong way to go about things. People can be “different” but be self-aware enough, or have the right people around them, to take emotion and impulsiveness out of decisions and do it properly. Treating people and suppliers like disposable trash, and waiting 10 days before there is any official communication, is never acceptable and should not be condoned.

It’s possible to be a very tough executive or CEO, be really hard-nosed about the numbers, and still treat people with dignity and respect, and properly explain what will happen next when major decisions are announced.

It fits with his philosophy that has served Tesla well of delete until you have to add some back. It also fits with the scenario that he lost confidence in the senior leadership and their ability to make the tough decisions required in this environment.

What you are saying is that Elon was so out of tune as to what everyone does, that he could not possibly work out who to retain and who to let go before making a major decision, so he nukes the lot and then has to spend time and money to work out what skills he does need and rebuild the team (after shattering trust company-wide) when he could have done that exact same work before and just sack those he deemed no long necessary?

And if he “lost confidence” on senior leadership, what does that say about his management style and ability to hire, build and develop a trusted team?

The more people try to “explain” this saga away, the more it reflects poorly on Elon’s skills as a CEO. In other words, it’s not helping.

Because there is a right way and wrong way to go about things
The "right" and "wrong" way is very subjective.

still treat people with dignity and respect
Agree. RocketMan is a seriously flawed character. Im not sure though if there is ever a "best" CEO. Many CEO do the D&R thing but run their companies into the ground because they are unable to be ruthless. Maybe thats why the companies he runs are so successful. Poor CEO?. I don't think so as the Tesla Board has not fired him.

Perhaps one of the measures that we can apply is the ability of Tesla to attract talent. I suspect the applications still far outweigh the available spots. Additionally these days careers are effectively one stepping stone to another. What would be a better CV than "Tesla employee, fired because RocketMan lit a nuke".

Would it be better if RocketMan instituted a policy at Tesla that all positions expire after 3 years and everyone has to re-apply. Maybe it already exists.
My job at one place is a quinquennium reapplication.

Reactions: Jules22
Plugshare just reported Toombul, QLD
Toombul did have Superchargers and ChargeFox DCFC at those shops.
However you will recall that in Feb 2022 there were floods that inundated the area.
As a result, Mirvac, the owners of the site terminated all the leases to the shops. It is now vacant.

What Mirvac hopes to do is unclear and there is no visibility to the general public.

Plugshare is replete with false uneditable locations
TL;DR = "who knows"

Last edited:
1715734714502.png

It was added by a Plugshare employee. Notably not via an automated process (that would be an account in the format "admin_cesar").

The same account added the "Scone, NSW (Coming Soon)" entry some months back. In both cases, the site was not listed anywhere official - not on Tesla's website, not a NSW Grant scheme recipient - the only place it was mentioned was on this forum, and on supercharge.info.

In both cases "Scone, NSW" and "Toombul, QLD" are the exact same formats (including capitalisation) that supercharge.info uses. Obviously the Toombul site has been listed as "permanently closed" since the flood, so it's looks like they're trying to automate it and not doing a very good job of it.

Looks like he's done some of the "coming soon" ones around Sydney too (Chatswood, Eveleigh, Bondi Junction, etc) but with different names. Equally useless though - the Eveleigh one is listed as "Myhealth South Eveleigh" because that happens to be the Google Maps pin which is closest to the centre of the shopping centre.

Plugshare is an absolute disaster so far as data accuracy goes though, so what's a few more. But usually it's due to apathy, not the admins pro-actively doing it.

Plugshare is an absolute disaster so far as data accuracy goes though, so what's a few more. But usually it's due to apathy, not the admins pro-actively doing it.

It’s also due to a lack of automated data integrity checking too. It’s not that hard to algorithmically weed out obviously false entries (e.g. stations in the middle of the ocean) and to park submissions for human vetting if they look dodgy (e.g. unusual or unpopulated areas such North Korea and Antarctica).