Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Yass, NSW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 22kV line from Yass Zone substation to Yass Tesla Supercharger site is projected to be at 15.2/16.8 MVA which would mean you might just squeeze another 1-1.5 MVA transformer into the area.
That load forecast isn't for the 22kV feeder, it's for the zone substation itself. Looks like there's six 22kV feeders from that ZS, but I don't believe they publish load forecasts down to the feeder level.

I can't believe I missed this. I noted in the Wagga thread that the Essential Energy map at
has been updated and included the new as yet unconnected transformer for Wagga.

Looking at the Yass location
Screenshot_20230904-190949.png

There is a new transformer in the proposed parking lot for the Yass Supercharger.
It is 'only' a 1000kVA,
Screenshot_20230904-190724.png

This would be enough for a 3 cabinet supercharger install and to keep to their proposed 12 stall number could use cabinets with 4 DC outputs each, unlike Tesla's other 12 stall installs in Australia which use 4 cabinets and 3 DC outputs.
This may have been a compromise due to the high load present at the feeder line into the Yass zone substation.
Would be great to get some current photos of this location to see if there is any actual construction underway. It may not yet have any obvious Tesla equipment. It is also possible that this map update is only a planning update and the install has not started.

Wonder what C19, C22, C21 mean.
Only meant to be 12 stalls.

Guessing only.
Maybe might be 18 stalls, then Cabinets numbered 19 up ??
There would not be enough site power for 18 v3 stalls with a 1000kVA transformer.
1202500.jpg

Full photo for context. The overall direction of the photo is away from Lead street.

If you look at the conduit here,
Screenshot_20230905-070418.png

You can see the conduit bending back towards Lead street where substation 25-87072 would appear to be located from the essential energy network map. Given the trench does not continue in that direction I assume some trenchless digging occured there to link the main supercharger site to the transformer. I think this set of conduits would be where the main switchboard for the site would go.

The other three vertical sets of conduits would then be the three v3 supercharger cabinets I speculated would be expected for the 1000kVA sized transformer.
If you then count the parking spaces out to the far conduit along the trench with the wooden boarding covering you can count out 12 spaces as 6 paired spaces forming the expected 12 stalls for this site.

You can see the end of the trenching here
Screenshot_20230905-072804.png

where the far conduit is and the fence showing the end of the site works.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230905-072804.png
    Screenshot_20230905-072804.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Comment on Plugshare on the photo above (in post #74 by Michael). Personally can't see much difference. Not clear if added by photographer or an uploader.

photostudio_1695769244896.jpg

AusConnex were also used by Tesla at Blaxland (though that is in Endeavours grid territory).

But we've also seen Yurika doing installs for NRMA in NSW so they all compete.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Chuq
Odd for them to be Tritiums. I can't see them in the picture.. but... if only Tesla had some other type of stall in development... say, one that had been making appearances at the odd European SC site... for example....

I think he may be referring to the two fully wrapped pedestals on the left beside the cabinets.
The shape is reminiscent of a Tritium unit...