Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Wickenburg, AZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Answers:
3. Nothing at present regarding a J1772. I am bewildered at why anyone thinks such a freebie is in Tesla's interest. Those of us with Supercharging hardware inside our automobiles paid very dearly for these Superchargers - and all up front. Why should someone else receive those benefits????
Just part of the negotiation. Tesla wants to kease land from the town. If the town wants chargers for long-stay visitors there's a deal to be made to have J1772s installed at the same time, sinde it'd be cheaper and easier than a separate project. Doesn't have to be an ongoing cost to Tesla. A J1772 would be usable by Tesla owners as well, ones who aren't just passing through, and if close to the Tesla spots it's a good opportunity to have other llug-in ow ers encounter a Tesla, I wonder how much it would cost to wire up the other 12 spaces...

. So....we had to wonder: was APS sandbagging Tesla, secretly hoping for resistance? We don't know, but after that utility's fierce opposition to residential PVs, most visibly opposed by Solar City, six weeks ago, it is easy to start thinking conspiracy here....

I don't think so due to the speed of the other transformer installations. I have some info on this though.

Progress report on Wickenburg:

Here is the faceplate of the 3Ø transformer at Town Hall:

DSC_7203.jpg

and here is the view looking south along one of downtown W'burg's two main streets, N. Tegner. The Town Hall is on the left-hand side of the photo and somebody's :rolleyes: green P85 Model S is parked along the stretch that will house the SpC slots.
DSC_7196.jpg

Breaking news! A crew came in and flagged/coned where the power lines will extend from the transformer! Flagging tape is so exciting (except compared to real progress...)
DSC_7206.jpg

And from the other direction, here is Herr Henry J. Wickenburg himself, overlooking the entire scene.
DSC_7198.jpg

Look at the relief between N. Tegner and the parking lot - about 6-8 feet below the road. That means we're not going to have to rely on MarkR's nephew's(?) quadcopter for those great overhead shots. FAA should be so happy.....

Last edited:
That's interesting, but also it stands to reason. Nevertheless, I can attest that at the Council Meeting, the Town Manager specifically stated the proximity of the transformer was one of the aspects cited. Regardless, he is not an electrician (the Mayor is! - he used to be the town's Inspector), and may have misunderstood.

It would be very safe to say, however, that if the transformer is there...then also the higher voltage mains serving that transformer must also be conveniently right there as well!

It would be very safe to say, however, that if the transformer is there...then also the higher voltage mains serving that transformer must also be conveniently right there as well!

Probably close, but notice this transformer steps down from 480 Volts to 208 Volts. Those are the two user standard Voltages for 3-Phase at the user level. Superchargers are usually fed by a transformer that steps down from the distribution voltage (between 2,400 and 33,000 Volts) to 480 Volts. See Electrical substation - Wikipedia as a reference.

Here are the minutes from the City Council meeting regarding the Wickenburg supercharger. Link: Wickenburg AZ - Council Minutes Jan. 20 2014

Consider Resolution No. 1733 Approving a Ground Lease Agreement with Tesla Motors, Inc. for Property Located at 155 N. Tegner Street, to Install Electric Vehicle Charging Stations, and Authorizing the Mayor to Execute the Agreement

Josh Wright, Town Manager, reported that Tesla Motors, Inc., recently contacted the Town regarding their plans to install electric vehicle charging stations across the country for use by owners of Tesla vehicles. Tesla currently manufacturers the Model S and will begin manufacturing the Model X later this year. Both are high-end electric vehicles that can travel up to 300 miles on a single charge. The company currently has one other charging station in the state, located in the Town of Quartzsite, but has multiple other locations in development.

Tesla desires to locate its charging facilities in the downtown area so that drivers can be close to services. This arrangement is also likely to make downtown Wickenburg a destination for Tesla owners. After reviewing multiple potential locations, the front parking lot of Town Hall, 155 North Tegner Street, has been selected due to its availability of three-phase power. Tesla would lease up to eight parking spaces in the lot, up to four of which would be dedicated for Tesla use and pay rent of $50.00 per space, per month. The other spaces would contain charging equipment, but would not be reserved for Tesla vehicles

Council Member Kardinal expressed concern with reserving eight (8) parking spaces for Tesla, and asked why Tesla is installing recharging stations that will only accommodate Tesla cars and no other electrical cars.

Responding to Council Member Kardinal, Town Manager Wright stated that initially only four parking spaces will be dedicated charging stalls to be used only by Tesla vehicles, and four (4) other parking spaces will be outfitted with Tesla charge posts to charge Tesla vehicles, but will also be available for general parking. Further, he stated that Tesla is installing superchargers that only accommodate Tesla vehicles.

In response to Council Member Crissman, Town Manager Wright stated that APS was contacted to provide information on where the appropriate locations within the Town of Wickenberg were available to accommodate the 3 phase voltage needed for Telsa?s superchargers. Town Hall and the Police Department were identified as the only public locations. He is not sure if the three phase voltage is available on private properties. Further, he stated that the Downtown area was selected, because the owners of Tesla vehicles could patronize the downtown area stores; e.g., restaurants and shops, while they are charging their vehicles.

Paul Woley, In-Town resident, expressed his support for the proposed contract with Tesla, because he believes it will benefit the downtown businesses. He provided information on the 3 phase electrical power needed by Tesla for their supercharging stations. Mr. Woley asked that Council consider that there are numerous electrical vehicles that could also benefit from electric charging stations in the community. However, the proposed charging stations by Tesla will not accommodate other electrical vehicles, because it?s design for Tesla vehicles only. He asked that Council consider charging stations for other electric vehicles.

Council Member Crissman voiced concerns with leasing the Town?s eight parking space, because of limited parking in the downtown area. He stated that perhaps Council should consider a short term lease, with an option for Tesla to relocate to another location (public or private) that could provide the 3 phase electric power.

Mayor Cook voiced that he believes 3 phase electrical power can be found in other locations in Town, which may include private property.

Responding to Council Member Madrid, Town Manager Wright stated that Tesla will repair any damage to Town property, including landscaping, which might occur during their construction and installation of the charging stations.

Ken Jagolinzer, In-Town residents, expressed support for the proposed Telsa agreement. However, he noted that Tesla vehicles are very expensive. Therefore, the charging stations for the Tesla vehicles should be located in a safe location in the Town. Additionally, he expressed that if Council can provide charging stations for Tesla vehicles, Council should also consider installing charging stations that will accommodate other electrical vehicles.

Kelly Schwab, Town Attorney, stated that the proposed Tesla agreement provides the Town with an ?indemnification clause.? Tesla will agree to indemnify the Town from liability related to use of the Town?s property for their charging station.

Vice Mayor Stewart voiced there will not be any extra protection provided for the Tesla vehicles during their use of the charging station. Owners will be using the charging station at their own risk.

Audi Bakewell, In-Town resident and owner of a Tesla vehicle provided additional information on the phase 3 electrical power needed for the proposed charging stations. He noted that Tesla is proposing the supercharging stations to accommodate Tesla vehicles only, because the purchase price of the Tesla vehicle includes payment for the electrical power needed to charge their vehicles. The Tesla vehicle owners will not pay to charge their vehicle. Tesla will pay the electrical fee. He reported that cities of Flagstaff, Winslow, and Yuma have reached agreements with Tesla to install supercharging stations, and the City of Buckeye is working on an agreement. He encouraged Council to approve the Tesla agreement to install charging stations in the Town Hall parking lot, which will also benefit the Town and downtown property owners when the Tesla vehicle owners patronize the downtown merchants.

MOTION: APPROVE RESOLUTION NO. 1733

BY: VICE MAYOR STEWART

SECOND: COUNCIL MEMBER MADRID

VOTE: 7-0

Heh heh - note misspelling of my name.

As I tell our numerous German guests, "Mein Name ist kein Autobahn; das ist ein Strasse, sondern Audubon. Und ich heisse kein Audi; das ist ein Auto; sondern Audie."

And contrary to the minutes, I was enumerating which SpC sites were in service or just about ready (at Meeting Date) to be turned on - but no matter.

This weekend has been Gold Rush Days* - so very definitely nothing occurring in the past week. I'm going to try to met with Town Mgr. Wright this coming week to see if I can glean anything about, for example, who the contractor is...but, of course of much more interest to all, when digging might commence.

*66th annual of this heritage event. It really is a great example of Old Time Small Town Americana. For example, that "crazy 70-year old lady" who always had her own slot as she danced, by herself, along the 4-mile route when my wife Jenny was a little girl...is STILL doing it! At the age of 96!!!!! And in high-heeled boots!!!!!! And....for anyone who's not been there....when you come you ought bring along your spouse's mother. There is a wheeled hoosegow that roams about and you can get the sheriff's deputies to arrest her on the charge of being a mother-in-law.

Also: for NEXT YEAR, let's get a good number of Valley Teslas, and procure a slot in Saturday's parade. Tucked in amongst the 800 horses, old cars, Shriners &c was a contingent of Corvettes. So hey! - if they can be there, so most definitely can we! I'll bring this up in its own thread some time next winter.

Right. I took the town's Director of Public Works out for a spin yesterday morning, and he told me TMInc is in the process of finalizing their plans, to be submitted for permitting. Location remains the same; he also told me he expects shovels to be out 'n dirty "in 2 - 3 weeks". But he also has not heard anything of who the contractor is to be.

Ya gotta love life in small towns. Of course, W'burg is gargantuan compared to my Alaskan hometown. When Jenny and I left for this winter (first time ever), the population in downtown Paxson dropped by 50%. True story.

Long time no update. So, an update.

Just today, Saturday 4/28, I received this from the town's Public Works Dep't:

"...Nothing major has happened since we last spoke. Currently, Tesla is working with APS on the final design of the electric improvements, once this is completed than Tesla can contract out the installation. If I had to guess, I would estimate the process at 1-2 months."

Update?
You call that an update?
That's no update.

:(