Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tucson, AZ

Along Interstates: I-10
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): None
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-10
To: El Paso, TX - 292 miles
Diversion: 1 mile
To: Van Horn, TX - 422 miles

Neighbors:
Holbrook, AZ (I-10,AZ-77,US-70,AZ-77): 254 miles
Santa Rosa, NM (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-54,I-40): 515 miles
Childress, TX* (I-10,I-25,US-70,US-60,TX-86,US-87,TX-86,US-287): 745 miles
Truth or Consequences, NM (I-10,US-180,NM-26,I-25): 289 miles
El Paso, TX (I-10,TX-178): 292 miles
Casa Grande, AZ (I-10,AZ-287): 79.5 miles

After this one it'll be only 292 miles to El Paso, TX.

* _Another_ new neighbor for Childress, TX.

Wow, they really put this supercharger out there in the middle of nowhere.

It's 4 miles from my house - which I always thought was in BFE ;). I can confirm that for the last week a construction fence has been up and surrounding the area, that there is a shipping container there, and a Bobcat. Also a couple of trenches.

The funny thing was, when I spoke to the clerk at the counter, she didn't know anything about Superchargers going in, and instead said that the construction was related to TEP (the local power company) and the electrical panel being installed wrong (which makes zero sense).

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_144357.jpg
    IMG_20170820_144357.jpg
    425.8 KB · Views: 79
Wow, they really put this supercharger out there in the middle of nowhere.

I think it is perfect! It makes a bridge to enable travel to and from the Tucson metro easier for out state residents to the east. It might also have something to do with land values?? It seems it would be more expensive to place them in the "garden spot" all the time. It's no different than interstate rest areas ( I wish more of them had superchargers.. or "any" chargers lol! ).

The idea of having Superchargers within city centers "in significant numbers" never made much sense to me as I thought they were primarily intended to enable travel "between" cities. Eventually when EV's proliferate in sufficient numbers such that one could build a Circle K or some such fast food mini mart that offered DCFC EVSE's only as a profitable business model they will get built or added to existing gas stations, mini marts etc.

"Only if there is money to be made will things get built" We can't expect an EV high speed charging network to be built overnight that covers everyone's charging needs at a price consumers would pay for the electricity.

The costs associated with getting the plugs out in the wild where they are needed along with equipment maintenance, administrative costs etc. will need to be baked into the selling price of the electricity or TOU model, which from what I've seen most are not willing to pay citing "gasoline would be cheaper".

My $0.02 only

We need to get current eyes on the ground to 'photo up' this station. Where on this site will the forth coming Tesla supercharger be located etc. Once we have those photos to review we will know more of the details, food on site, pit stop amenities. If you're in Tucson AZ, make the short dash to document and show us all what's there. Thank you!

Reactions: gene
We need to get current eyes on the ground to 'photo up' this station. Where on this site will the forth coming Tesla supercharger be located etc. Once we have those photos to review we will know more of the details, food on site, pit stop amenities. If you're in Tucson AZ, make the short dash to document and show us all what's there. Thank you!

Right now the only thing that is there is the Subway in the station (take a look at my photo). There's a pretty good place for tacos up the road 1.25 miles. That's it. It's expected that a hotel will go in close by in the next few years.

It's a good place to get some reading in.:)

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
This location is a win for all the folks in Rita Ranch and the Houghton Road corridor. It will serve well travelers passing through on I-10, not so much for I-19 trips. With all the metro chargers installed, being expanded, and new construction in, Phoenix (planned), California and the east coast, I wish Tesla would have done the same for Tucson. Yes I'm glad it's under construction, but... grumble grumble.

Additional information. According to the Shell website this is a 24-hour store, which is good news for bio breaks and snacks. Other than Subway there is no other dining option at this time. The Subway website shows 7 am to 9 pm M-F. The hours change to 8 am on the weekends and 10 pm Thursday and Friday.

Utility transformers serving the Tesla SC's are usually 500 kVA for eight pedestals. You can often see this capacity rating stenciled on the outside of the cabinet, but of course the fence here probably makes that difficult to see.
That would be way too big for a Subway/Gas Station only.

• Informative
Reactions: Vern Padgett
Additional information. According to the Shell website this is a 24-hour store, which is good news for bio breaks and snacks. Other than Subway there is no other dining option at this time. The Subway website shows 7 am to 9 pm M-F. The hours change to 8 am on the weekends and 10 pm Thursday and Friday.

No worries. I'll just hit it up on my way into Tucson for Sushi !!! lol..... Then again on the way out so I can drive the speed limit on I-10 without the range worries and looooong level2 charge times getting there and home again :) lol! Strong winds are fairly common east of Tucson on I-10 and they are headwinds "both ways" !!

No worries. I'll just hit it up on my way into Tucson for Sushi !!! lol..... Then again on the way out so I can drive the speed limit on I-10 without the range worries and looooong level2 charge times getting there and home again :) lol! Strong winds are fairly common east of Tucson on I-10 and they are headwinds "both ways" !!
Amen to that. I have spent countless hours in Tucson level 2 charging. I would be happier if it was closer to I-19, but I will happily drive out of my way to supercharge.

Reactions: tccartier
Amen to that. I have spent countless hours in Tucson level 2 charging. I would be happier if it was closer to I-19, but I will happily drive out of my way to supercharge.

Just an FYI Embassy Suites 3110 Skyline Dr. has two tesla connectors that are 80 amp. capable "if you have the 72 amp charger upgrade or Twin Chargers in your car". They are free to use according to Plugshare and there have been several M/S drivers that have had good experiences there "again according to Plugshare". I may try it Wednesday "if I pass through Tucson" on my way home. Was planning on charging to 100% in Casa Grande to minimize the time needed to charge in Tucson to be able to get home.

When I travel from Chandler to my son's home off Houghton Road this will be the perfect spot to top off. Close to his home but half an hour or more from the wealthier parts of Tucson to the North and Northwest where there will certainly be a heavy concentration of Teslas -- and the inevitable cheapskate owners looking to save on their McMansion electric bills. Well done, Tesla!