Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the updated SC map since the blog post on additional chargers it looks like Tuscon is back.. am I seeing it right?

I just noticed this too. For a while, it seemed to have disappeared between November/December of 2016. The new map shows even more information than before, instead of a single drop point. Check screen shot. It's definitely good news and I am excited for more details to come. Target is completion by the end of 2017.

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 7.09.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 7.09.15 PM.png

I think I found the Tucson supercharger in the commercial permit report for 8/7-8/11. It is number T17CM04231, located at 9255 South Rita Road next to I-10 on the southeast edge of the city. The description is "Installation of Tesla charging station on existing lot" with a valuation of $80,000 and it says it was issued on 8/7/2017. Google satellite view shows the auto/truck stop when it was under construction, with street view showing a completed Minute Mart.

Last edited:
Tucson - The "old Pueblo" is getting a Supercharger. It appears pretty clear that the 2016 Tesla Supercharger Map has a location within or near Tucson. That's great news in that it opens up a lot of southern Arizona, but kinda odd that it's only 70 miles to the SpC in Casa Grande and just 46 miles to what appears to be a SpC location planned in or near Benson, AZ.

That works out well for those of us that live out state in southeast Arizona Tucson was a really tough trip to make due to lack of quick charging there, otherwise you have to bypass Tucson drive all the way to Casa Grande (if you can make it) to take on electrons then come back through Tucson and level 2 charge somewhere to be able to get back home. Our only other choice out here was to hit up some campgrounds around Benson and Wilcox. Speaking of Willcox there is supposed to be a supercharger added there as well by Year's End. It's shocking to some but not everyone lives in Phoenix or the surrounding area :)

Tesla must have gotten desperate to find a Tucson location to be placing this in the middle of nowhere. I understand gas station type locations when that is all there is in the wide open spaces in the west, but this is a city of over 500,000 people. I wonder why there weren't any locations with restaurants nearby who wanted the additional customers.

I think I found the Tucson supercharger in the commercial permit report for 8/7-8/11. It is number T17CM04231, located at 9255 South Rita Road next to I-10 on the southeast edge of the city. The description is "Installation of Tesla charging station on existing lot" with a valuation of $80,000 and it says it was issued on 8/7/2017. Google satellite view shows the auto/truck stop when it was under construction, with street view showing a completed Minute Mart.

Good hunting with this one.

@BlueShift - this enough to get it mapped on supercharge.info ?

• Informative
Reactions: tccartier
79.4 miles from the Casa Grande SpC - it certainly facilitates travel along I-10 even if it does little for those planning to use I-19.

It also makes the drive to/from one of my favorite sites in the lesser-48 - Portal on the east side of the Chiricahuas - probable. Heading south from Wilcox to Pinery Cyn Rd from that SpC address, it's 128 miles each way; 129 miles via Sunizona. But Onion Saddle, at 7,600 feet, presents quite a challenge for smaller-batteried Teslas...if one hadn't a way to augment charge level at Portal things could get sketchy on the return route.

If and when a SpC goes in at either or both Benson & Wilcox then, naturally, that run would be feasible in the smallest of Teslas...as long as Pinery Cyn is in respectable shape.

Since the permit was issued a couple weeks ago, it may already be under construction. I couldn't find a phone number to call them, but if someone local or passing through wants to check it out and report back it would be appreciated. Since this site will likely be complete before Willcox AZ or Deming NM, I wonder if a brave 100D owner will try to hypermile across the 291 mile gap to El Paso?

Finally, Tucson will get a Supercharger!!! Nice work Tesla!

View attachment 242667

Great news! now Tucson will be an easy day trip instead of a marathon relying on level 2 Chargers and 60 mph. On the interstate. I can hit it on the way in and on the way out ! perfect location on the east side of town. (At least for those who live in the far reaches of S.E. AZ.)

Last edited:
Since the permit was issued a couple weeks ago, it may already be under construction. I couldn't find a phone number to call them, but if someone local or passing through wants to check it out and report back it would be appreciated. Since this site will likely be complete before Willcox AZ or Deming NM, I wonder if a brave 100D owner will try to hypermile across the 291 mile gap to El Paso?

Maybe west to east with a tailwind, a headwind of any kind could result in this...

a-guy-stranded-in-the-desert-dismantled-his-broken-down-17375945.png

I will likely be passing through there next Wednesday with my newly-minted Model S fresh out of Tempe bad news is .. I may need that supercharger to work if I'm going to go that way and make it home :)

While I'm really glad that Tucson and I-10 is finally getting a Supercharger to enable travel to Texas from AZ, that location is really not very good unless you only need a splash of electrons, There is literally nothing around it, U of A has an industrial park there ( used to be IBM's Tape drive division in the 1980s) Target has a large distribution center and there is what was going to be Diet Supplement canning plant . That mini-mart is new, but there is nothing else there.

• Informative
Reactions: David99