Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Try this, when your battery doesn't have enough to reach the Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You had me until that last statement. I'll drive a mile out of the way to avoid a traffic circle, roundabout or glorieta.

That's maybe because you're not used to them and have to share the road with other users who are not used to them

Think about the queues you see at the intersection of two six lanes highways (plus the turn lanes) and you have to wait for the cross traffic, then the left-turn cross traffic, then your left-turning traffic, then you get to go (and in Dallas, there's ALWAYS some a-hole who makes the left turn AFTER his arrow has turned red) [1] ... and you can't be certain which comes first, turning, or straight ahead, or some even do turning, then straight ahead, then turning again. And don't even bother when there's a power cut or a rainstorm and they all go to flashing red and the tailback is three times as long

A roundabout is just constant movement. You only have to look in one direction and it never gets affected by powercuts

[1] and how often have you been blocked from even getting into the left turn feeder land because there are so many peeps going straight ahead?

Reactions: Genie and Acps110
That's maybe because you're not used to them and have to share the road with other users who are not used to them

Think about the queues you see at the intersection of two six lanes highways (plus the turn lanes) and you have to wait for the cross traffic, then the left-turn cross traffic, then your left-turning traffic, then you get to go (and in Dallas, there's ALWAYS some a-hole who makes the left turn AFTER his arrow has turned red) [1] ... and you can't be certain which comes first, turning, or straight ahead, or some even do turning, then straight ahead, then turning again. And don't even bother when there's a power cut or a rainstorm and they all go to flashing red and the tailback is three times as long

A roundabout is just constant movement. You only have to look in one direction and it never gets affected by powercuts

[1] and how often have you been blocked from even getting into the left turn feeder land because there are so many peeps going straight ahead?
There was one on my route (the intersection of RT 206, 202 and 28 in New Jersey). After three near misses in a row from mooks who didn't plan ahead and get in the correct lane, and cut across lanes to make an exit or continue around, I avoided that abortion for two years until I moved elsewhere. I'll take traffic lights any time.

I did a trip from CA to AZ, which can be reached within 6 hours. But with the Tesla I had to charge 3 times, and I believe it added an hour to the commute just to charge and not able to drive. My friend started to get annoyed about having to stop every 2 hours because he drives a fuel efficient gas car, a Toyota Camry, which he claims he can drive 400 actual miles. He said he just need to fill up once and that be enough.

Stopping 3 times does suck, but then autopilot makes the car much easier to drive long distance. Gas cars even if you save time not super charging, you need alot more energy if you don't want to stop at all, and there is no autopilot to help out.

I did a trip from CA to AZ, which can be reached within 6 hours. But with the Tesla I had to charge 3 times, and I believe it added an hour to the commute just to charge and not able to drive. My friend started to get annoyed about having to stop every 2 hours because he drives a fuel efficient gas car, a Toyota Camry, which he claims he can drive 400 actual miles. He said he just need to fill up once and that be enough.

Stopping 3 times does suck, but then autopilot makes the car much easier to drive long distance. Gas cars even if you save time not super charging, you need alot more energy if you don't want to stop at all, and there is no autopilot to help out.
I'm not sure I understand this. Can we have more details? What is the actual distance traveled? Are there any major elevation changes? 6 hours at 75mph (although maybe you drive much faster--would be interesting to see if by just slowing down a bit you could avoid a stop) is 450 miles.

One of the advantages of driving electric is that you have the ability to start a trip at 100% and end close to 0% (although there are exceptions, such as quick turnaround trips).

So let's say you had an early 60kWh Model S, and the battery is partially degraded, giving a range of <200 miles today. If you start at 100%, you'd have to stop at mile 160, 280, and 400. That is kind of the worst-case scenario I can think of. Yeah, that would not be fun. But it's also not representative of today's state of the art.

Even my 2018 Model 3 could do this trip with one stop max, and even then it would be fairly short. If my bladder can hold out that long, I can comfortably make it 260 miles (closer to 280 under more ideal conditions), requiring only a single stop at mile 260-270. Granted, if there are huge elevation changes, that could change things a bit.

A six hour trip is probably going to be the most difficult to replicate in an EV. One stop in six hours is probably sufficient for most people, even though EVs may need two stops for that distance (albeit the second could be pretty quick, not 20 minutes). If it were a five hour trip, today's long range EVs can easily make that with one stop. And at seven hours of driving, most people would probably stop twice. Six is right in that middle. Same with 4 hours that you may or may not be able to make in one shot with an EV.

Maybe other states have something similar, but maybe it's a uniquely Texas thing like Jug Handles in New Jersey, but ... apparently the U turn lanes at junctions with separated grades are called Texas U Turns ... and it's surprising how often they get used

Efficient, but still not as efficient as roundabouts
You talking about like state highways with twin carriageways?

It's when you can go from the Northbound service road to the Southbound service road without entering the cross street

Maybe a picture says it better - See how you can go from the Northbound service road of US75 round the Texas U-turn to the Southbound without getting onto Lovers Lane. No lights

1661271169258.png

It's when you can go from the Northbound service road to the Southbound service road without entering the cross street

Maybe a picture says it better - See how you can go from the Northbound service road of US75 round the Texas U-turn to the Southbound without getting onto Lovers Lane. No lights

View attachment 844154
Never occurred to me that I hadn't noticed these in other states. As a matter of fact, I use that very turnaround once a week or so. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Sometimes blending in to the left lane with traffic coming from the right can get a little dicey, but all you have to do is wait for the light to your right to change, and don't faff around making up your mind.
I'll take these over traffic circles all day long.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Maybe other states have something similar, but maybe it's a uniquely Texas thing like Jug Handles in New Jersey, but ... <snip>
If on the Interstates there can be signs indicating services at the next exit such as food, fuel, lodging, etc, why can there not be an indication of EV charging availability as well? I've overshot charging stations including Superchargers a couple of times. I don't play charge level roulette like Missile Toad, but making a several mile jaunt to U Turn is a major annoyance. Especially at my age when - er - pressures are mounting.

If I'm planning a trip on an unknown route, I try to research using several sources first. It has saved my cute pink little trasero several times.

Maybe other states have something similar, but maybe it's a uniquely Texas thing like Jug Handles in New Jersey, but ... apparently the U turn lanes at junctions with separated grades are called Texas U Turns ... and it's surprising how often they get used

Efficient, but still not as efficient as roundabouts
I had no idea that there was something call a Texas U-turn and I’ve lived in TX all my adult life.

Then again I had to travel to Canada to discover a “Texas Gate” - what we call a cattle guard down here.

I've been driving Teslas since 2016. On my first cross country trip in 2016, I drove the S 70 D down to 3 miles when I reached my third supercharger on the trip. Since then, I've been under 10 miles of range at least 20 times, mostly while on a trip.

<MAJOR SNIP>
Oh, and yes, I made it with 2 miles to spare.
As a former Houstonite and worker at NASA during the first 14 Shuttle missions, I just had to throw a thumbs up to someone to someone with the handle of "Missile Toad"! 👍:)