Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Stevens Point, WI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
The Supercharger will be at Festival Foods in Stevens Point, WI.

Somebody posted on Supercharge.info an image of the Permit somebody had posted to a/the Wisconsin Tesla Facebook group.

Pathetic? Splitter on I-39! Drops a ~131 mile gap to the end of I-39 (134.5 miles to just beyond the end to Wausau, WI) to 106..

I hesitate to call it Pathetic, because it's a meaningful reduction, with the difference between 131 and 106 miles being of real practical significance in a cold-weather state, and because it'd be dropping the gap well outside the top 25.

But also, I had noted in my own spreadsheet that the 130 mile gap might be split by a combination of Stevens Point and Portage because any other simple splitter would have to be somewhere very small that's not on a US Numbered Highway.

It's also on US-10, which means more hole-filling on the US Numbered Highway System, and that's always good.

346098094_695860085555900_8825239582439797730_n.jpg

Stevens Point, WI

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Festival Foods
Along Primary Interstates: I-39
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-10, US-51
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-39

To: End (US51/WI29 near Wausau, WI) - 26.7 miles
Diversion: 2.5 miles

US-10

To: Ludington, MI (v2) - 120.8 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: Clare, MI (v2) - 210.1 miles

US-51

To: Wausau, WI (v2) - 30.2 miles
Diversion: 2.8 miles
To: Minocqua, WI - 100.9 miles

Pathetic? Splitter! On I-39 Stevens Point, WI splits 131.7 miles, 107.5 miles from Madison - E Washington Ave, WI, 26.7 miles to End (US51/WI29 near Wausau, WI).

It will be the 3rd Supercharger at Festival Foods, after Oshkosh, WI and Sheboygan, WI.
Also a significant splitter on US-10, and is on US-51 since US-51 is concurrent with I-39 there.

It should be noted most travel Via US 10 Westward is Via I-94 at Osseo, WI, that means Eau Claire and Menomonee SuC locations.
I understand that but I know I'm not the only one who likes or needs to drive away from the Interstate, and it's great when charging locations on US highways make that easier.

The yet to be built Deforest SuC at the proposed (Buc-ee’s) should shrink the I-39 gap to just under 100 mi.
Thank you for adding that thread. I missed or had forgotten it. I'll make a note of that on my spreadsheet.

Since it's so relevant to I-39 but it's not on Supercharge.info for others' awareness and reference your Deforest, WI thread is:

At about 97 miles, Deforest, WI would be the eventual splitter of Madison to Stevens Point, WI that will get I-39 off the 100+ mile list.

This is fantastic news. Recently traveled from Madison to nearby eagle river and Wausau was the sole station nearby. The Wausau one serves a huge region and in the summer with all the traffic and seeing far more teslas on the road, it’s just not enough capacity for tourist traffic. Also the Wausau amenities aren’t great especially with kids.

Stevens Point, WI

Host Type: Grocery Store
Host: Festival Foods
Along Primary Interstates: I-39
Along US Numbered Highways (<=5mi): US-10, US-51
Along Auxiliary Interstates: None

I-39

To: End (US51/WI29 near Wausau, WI) - 26.7 miles
Diversion: 2.5 miles

US-10

To: Ludington, MI (v2) - 120.8 miles
Diversion: 1.6 miles
To: Clare, MI (v2) - 210.1 miles

US-51

To: Wausau, WI (v2) - 30.2 miles
Diversion: 2.8 miles
To: Minocqua, WI - 100.9 miles

Pathetic? Splitter! On I-39 Stevens Point, WI splits 131.7 miles, 107.5 miles from Madison - E Washington Ave, WI, 26.7 miles to End (US51/WI29 near Wausau, WI).

It will be the 3rd Supercharger at Festival Foods, after Oshkosh, WI and Sheboygan, WI.
Also a significant splitter on US-10, and is on US-51 since US-51 is concurrent with I-39 there.
It's not like you are going to have people going all the way through on 10; people would ge through on I-94 to Osseo and exit there to continue straight to Stevens Point. You have the superchargers in Oakdale, Menomonie, and Eau Claire along I-694 and I-94, This is a splitter for I-39 for the trip from Madison to Wausau and points north.

Nice!! We go north a few times each summer, and last time the stretch to Wausau was juuuuust a bit too much. Glad they're closing this gap, although it's not splitting the distance to Madison it's certainly a welcome addition and will make our trip easier. :)
Portage, at the Metro truck stop, would also be an extremely useful one, as would one at Coloma (splitter for both 39 and 21).

Folks arguing this is "pathetic" or unnecessary in any way have failed to realize that someone will now actually be able to drive from Madison to Stevens Point and back in the winter without an issue. There are zero SuC's on this 110 mile stretch or anywhere near Point, so a R/T at 220 miles is dicey in the winter especially for shorter-range models (and that wouldn't even include in-town driving).

Folks arguing this is "pathetic" or unnecessary in any way have failed to realize that someone will now actually be able to drive from Madison to Stevens Point and back in the winter without an issue. There are zero SuC's on this 110 mile stretch or anywhere near Point, so a R/T at 220 miles is dicey in the winter especially for shorter-range models (and that wouldn't even include in-town driving).
Also, South Point Restaurant.

Good point! But hey, one less thing to wait for at the end. Seems strange to see the utility get there stuff done before the Tesla pedestals are placed.
I thought the same thing when I saw the meter too. I didn’t notice that the meter was installed until I was posting the photos. I guess WPS has their act together. Hopefully it means once the pedestals are installed it’ll be opening soon.

Reactions: rhummer and DMC5180
Strange that the meter is already installed before the dispensers. I always thought the meter was like the last thing.
I'm the builder on the site. Meter install timing varies wildly from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Since this meter is mounted on the transformer itself, and not a stand, the utility company installs the base as well as the meter. First time (out of around 30 builds) we've had the transformer show up with the full meter mounted. WPS has really been on the ball, and a pleasure to work with. I have personally had a project take up to nine months to install trans and meter. Kudos to WPS.