Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger rates for Summer ‘24

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Analysts are forecasting significantly higher prices ($4/gallon) at the pump this summer in the U.S. Are we likely to see electricity rates (and, more specifically, kWH Supercharger rates) track closely to those at the pump? Or will the disparity between DC charging rates and gas prices become pronounced?

It would be interesting to see if a pricing disparity undermines the anti-EV FUD that’s become so prevalent in the media and certain political factions.

Electricity rates don’t fluctuate like gas prices do and are not as influenced by outside sources like oil production and world politics. The utility company sets the rates usually once per year and has to be approved by the state government.

Tesla does vary pricing based on demand in some locations but it’s likely just a factor of the time of use and demand rates set by the utility plus a markup for profit of course. Nothing like how gas prices change.

Since 98% percent of our charging is done at home, I am more concerned with rate hikes on that level. I also have no mouth to complain as our current rate is 10 cents per kilowatt hour. Our local Not for profit company, Eugene Water and Electric board just posted the rate increase for 2024:
  • Basic charge: Increase $1.50 per month
  • Usage charge: Increase less than 1 cent per kilowatt hour, pretty damn cheap I say.
I am no Nostrdamus but our rates will go up with the increase of population here, our crazy weather and how that effects our water supply for Hydro power( %65 ) And then there are all the other unknowns...I know some of them. Fill me in.

Reactions: gtae07 and E90alex
It would be interesting to see if a pricing disparity undermines the anti-EV FUD that’s become so prevalent in the media and certain political factions.
Oh goodness no, they will certainly find the next most critical hot-button issue to rant about.

And if they do want to continue to bring up the topic of how charging your EV costs the same (or more) than buying gas, they will find one of the dealerships that don't want people using their charger (that they were forced to install), so they set the cost at something ridiculous like $5/kWh (I wish this were an exaggeration, but it's not), with parking fees, and then tout the fact that it cost Bob $139 to get 40 miles of range as if that were the case for all EV owners.

Electricity rates don’t fluctuate like gas prices do and are not as influenced by outside sources like oil production and world politics. The utility company sets the rates usually once per year and has to be approved by the state government.
Like @RSpanner , I have nothing to complain about, currently paying less than 9¢ per kWh, but I am bracing for a fairly large increase next year. The utility has been running ads touting all the great things they do and how they are "getting out of coal" and keeping up with the growing population. Obviously there is no reason for them to be running ads given that they effectively have a geographic monopoly, so I guess they are trying to foster goodwill with the public that are going to probably get hit with a double digit cost increase next year.

Reactions: CobaltLights
Like @RSpanner , I have nothing to complain about, currently paying less than 9¢ per kWh, but I am bracing for a fairly large increase next year. The utility has been running ads touting all the great things they do and how they are "getting out of coal" and keeping up with the growing population. Obviously there is no reason for them to be running ads given that they effectively have a geographic monopoly, so I guess they are trying to foster goodwill with the public that are going to probably get hit with a double digit cost increase next year.

Virtue signaling is as pervasive as the tipping ‘option’ on point-of-sale tablets—both are more ways for them to reach into your pockets.

Perhaps in your area that's the case but in some places like Hawaii ARE influenced by the price of oil (e.g. Average Price of Electricity).
"Electricity prices in Hawaii are generally higher than on the U.S. mainland due to the cost of imported oil used to power many of the islands’ generators. The fluctuation in the cost of fuel, which makes up roughly 50% of a typical bill, is the biggest driver."

I can't speak with authority on pricing adjustments in Hawaii, but I found Oahu (from Energy Cost Filings). Just take a look thru some random letters where they discuss the cost for 500 kWh.

As for once a year, may be true for you, but it sure seems like it's WAY more frequent in California on PG&E.

"They just keep going up": PG&E wants to raise rates enough to boost its revenue to reduce wildfire risk from Sept 14, 2023
PG&E becomes California's most expensive power provider went into effect Jan 1, 2024
‘This is nuts': PG&E customers stunned by first bills since rate hikes from Jan 25, 2024 "As NBC Bay Area first reported, there is another increase in the works to pay for last year's storm damage. If regulators approve it in March, the typical electric bill will go up another $14." And yes, our rates jumped on Jan 1, 2024 and went up slightly on March 1, 2024.

You can look at the first section of Rates and Tariffs to see how often our rates changes.

Too bad nobody is submitted the E-1 rate sheet to archive.org very often but you can confirm some of the changes by looking at the 2022 thru 2024 snapshots at Wayback Machine.

BTW, EV2-A (see page 2 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV2 (Sch).pdf) is our EV rate for those w/o separate meter for their EVSE. Off-peak is 34.578 cents per kWh. Rest of day it's 51.4 to 65.8 cents per kWh. Time bands are on page 3.

Again, too bad few people submitted the PDF to the Wayback Machine.
Wayback Machine were rates effective March 1, 2023
Wayback Machine was for Jan 1, 2024.

Last edited:
Besides all of the above, this happened today: