Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Workers onsite putting parking stops.still electrical work being done. 8 stalls 4 cabinet.

Attachments

• 20171116_150026.jpg
    20171116_150026.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 20171116_150205.jpg
    20171116_150205.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 109
  • 20171116_150202.jpg
    20171116_150202.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 108
  • 20171116_150040.jpg
    20171116_150040.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 110
Not to mention the Ontario taxpayer and EV drivers are getting shafted because the L3 portion of the 20 million EVCO program has been spent on L3 charging that is not much faster than the fastest L2 chargers. Many L3 MyEvroute/KSI chargers have been limited to 25kW apparently because of electricity demand charges. Tesla's supercharger network gets better and better and other EV charging is going backwards. If the other manufacturers don't get involved soon they will be left in the dust.

These are not very good for Tesla owners, but the are very helpful for LEAF owners. They are limited to a few kW on AC charging, but can get a decently fast charge on these stations.

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
No - the photo shows just two Supercharger cabinets. All regular speed Superchargers use one cabinet per two stalls, I wonder if they were able to jam enough hardware into each cabinet to satisfy 4 slower urban Supercharger stalls?

Previous urban supercharger sightings show one supercharger cabinet handling two stalls. Unless they have managed to increase efficiency by 100%, I doubt this has changed for Ottawa. That's why I wondered if those cabinets were batteries, and the actual charger cabinets are elsewhere. A charger cabinet will have a big old grill on the front or back for massive amounts of hot air being pumped out.

How that I take a closer look, looks like there is lots of space behind the two cabinets we can see for more cabinets.So the other cabinets are most likely there. It is also interesting that there is a big old exhaust duct going right over that equipment with what looks like a new input tap on the underside of it.

Also would like to echo the fact that this location is not convenient. It's far from the highway, paid parking lot, and have to struggle with downtown traffic and a congested parking lot.
  • Each 30 minutes or less (maximum 3 hours) $1.50
  • Next 30 minutes or less $2.00
  • Day rate (12 hours) $20.00
  • 24-hour rate $25.00
I always thought trainyards would be a nice location. I recognize snow could be an issue at trainyards - and it appears Tesla prefers covered lots these days.

Tesla usually prefers 24h access lots and locations with 24h restaurants/facilities nearby. The rideau centre doesn't meet this criterion. Hopefully we'll get a real supercharger in addition to this urban charging site.

Also would like to echo the fact that this location is not convenient

I suspect they're building these for those coming to visit Ottawa and not passing through. A more hybrid destination-supercharger model. To satisfy those folks that are "Hey, I want to visit my friends in Ottawa this weekend and I have no way to quickly charge!!" .. Now it'll be "Hey, lets met up at the mall"

Reactions: Steph_S
Yes, I would assume a different "use case" for the urban superchargers. This is for tourists and other visitors, not for people passing through. I would guess that the Gatineau supercharger will be the same.

Eventually I assume we will get a "real" supercharger in Ottawa, but maybe not for years. After all, if they get Renfrew and Vankleek Hill installed then through traffic is pretty much covered. Also Brockville would help.