Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Newark, DE

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought it was the property owner's responsibility to pay the bill. I could be wrong but I thought Tesla paid for all of the the infrastructure costs of the SuperChargers and the property owner was responsible for electric costs after installation.

It varies by installation. Some do like the restaurants and hotels, but I'd guess the "rest stop" type locations are direct billed.

I thought it was the property owner's responsibility to pay the bill. I could be wrong but I thought Tesla paid for all of the the infrastructure costs of the SuperChargers and the property owner was responsible for electric costs after installation.

I believe this to be generally true for destination chargers (HPWC's and the occasional J1772), but don't believe it is true for superchargers.

The cost for the latter is probably an order of magnitude or more than the former...

Last edited:
I believe this to bee generally true for destination chargers (HPWC's and the occasional J1772), but don't believe it is true for superchargers.

The cost for the latter is probably an order of magnitude or more than the former...

There are a few spots where a 3rd party provides the power. They get identified with a little sign saying "power supported by XXX". The Burlington, NH one is like that see this picture from that thread.: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/noparkingsign-jpg.107623/

you seem to be confusing the destination charger program with the Superchargers. in the former what you said is correct, it isn't correct for SpC locations.

With all the people who have a vested interest in bad press for Tesla, you'd think this would be shooting fish in a barrel if there was any truth to it.

Agreed, I was shocked when none of the haters ran with the Norway story. A quarter million dollars in unpaid bills sounds like a great opportunity for "Tesla is failing, doesn't have enough money to pay its bills!" story. Maybe even the haters realize that it's just disorganization.

During the outage, some of us noticed that the status of Newark shown on our Navigation screens was not always the same on our cars.

We never really determined why they weren’t always in sync. I would have thought that when Tesla switches the status on the system, that the info reaches all the cars at the same time.

I’ve started a thread to share data on how the status of the Bethesda Supercharger’s closure will propagate when it is shut off, probably on Thursday.

Go over to the thread and leave a comment if you are interested.
Status Propagation on Nav When Bethesda SpC Closes

The car periodically polls Tesla for an updated supercharger list. This is up to the car, but seems to be about once or twice per day. It's saved as a JSON file on the CID.

For outages, the car polls Tesla periodically (few times per hour it looks like) for affected stations within driving range of the current location by specifying the id#s of those superchargers it wants to check the status of. Generally the response is nothing.

And I hope this gives Tesla some direction as to the necessary bug fix. Instead of limiting the outage polling to superchargers within driving range, they should extend the set of requested IDs to any locations within, say, 100 or 200 miles of any active route in Trip Planner. I could see an argument for also including any locations within driving range plus 100-200 miles in any direction. The net effect would presumably be at most a few extra kilobytes of network traffic per car per hour.

At a bare minimum, Trip Planner should immediately check the status of every supercharger being considered for a route as a key part of planning the route.

Reactions: vdiv
There are a few spots where a 3rd party provides the power. They get identified with a little sign saying "power supported by XXX". The Burlington, NH one is like that see this picture from that thread.: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/noparkingsign-jpg.107623/

Notice it says supported by, not provided by. I'm going to say that means that Tesla is paying for most of the power but is getting partial payment from the cafe in exchange for the sign saying they "support" Tesla.

At a bare minimum, Trip Planner should immediately check the status of every supercharger being considered for a route as a key part of planning the route.

Yes - it should check continuously (just like it does for traffic) and reroute whenever a problem occurs.

As it stands right now the Nav indicates and reroutes when there's a slow down in traffic ahead (in near real time) but can't route me around a shut down Supercharger.

Mike

In OC, Md, Newark is off my in car Nav screen.

When @CHRGIT reported that the Newark pin had disappeared on his Nav screen around 9:00 Saturday night, I was still seeing it on my screen from my location just south of Baltimore. The image below was captured at 4:45 AM Sunday, at least four hours after people were saying that the Supercharger had been turned back on. I seemed to have been getting the data to my screen, albeit several hours after @CHRGIT.

On the fourth day, Tesla finally removed the Newark Supercharger from the map completely which apparently was the only way to keep the Nav. system/Trip Planner from routing people to Newark to charge.

NewarkSpCoffmap.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jthompson and vdiv