Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Pleasant, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this. I’d wondered about it… I am learning. :)
Here's just an example of some data I logged on my car over a series of four supercharging sessions. These were at different locations during about a 600 mile drive all in one day about 6 weeks ago. The first charging session wasn't until after ~3 hours of interstate/highway driving so battery was fully up to temp in all cases.

Again, this for a mid-2016 MS90D, so not exactly that curve that newer cars may see, but gives you an idea of how charge rate taper with state of charge (SOC).

The peak values around 140kW are actually really, really good for this vintage of vehicle, and frankly, some of the highest I can recall seeing. For comparison, when I first got my car, peak charge rates were 120kW for a Model S. While some with older MS cars, especially 85 packs, have seen their charge rates severely reduced/limited, my MS90D with ~62k miles, about 40% of which done by supercharging, is still holding up pretty decent for charge rates.
newplot.png

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Here's just an example of some data I logged on my car over a series of four supercharging sessions. These were at different locations during about a 600 mile drive all in one day about 6 weeks ago. The first charging session wasn't until after ~3 hours of interstate/highway driving so battery was fully up to temp in all cases.

Again, this for a mid-2016 MS90D, so not exactly that curve that newer cars may see, but gives you an idea of how charge rate taper with state of charge (SOC).

The peak values around 140kW are actually really, really good for this vintage of vehicle, and frankly, some of the highest I can recall seeing. For comparison, when I first got my car, peak charge rates were 120kW for a Model S. While some with older MS cars, especially 85 packs, have seen their charge rates severely reduced/limited, my MS90D with ~62k miles, about 40% of which done by supercharging, is still holding up pretty decent for charge rates. View attachment 672923
This is an awesome chart!! Did you source the data from something like TeslaFi?

@PCMc i love This community. I enjoy data it appears many other tesla People do too.

Edit: I did originally hypothesize it had to do with state of charge as in, I was starting from like 50 or 60. And It gradually increases then decreases from bottom to top… Thanks for the chart!

This is an awesome chart!! Did you source the data from something like TeslaFi?
My chart was created via data I collect myself and not via a site like TeslaFi or some other 3rd party app. Call me particular, but I have never been comfortable providing my login credentials, or even token file, to a 3rd party source. I also wish to retain full ownership of my data and not allow others to commercialize it for their own gain, which is what I see sites like TeslaFi doing even though much of the information around how the API works has been crowdsourced and publicly shared by other Tesla enthusiasts without getting any compensation.

I used for about 4.5 years a program running locally on my home laptop known as VisibleTesla. That was one of the early community developed loggers which was publicly available as shareward for free use by owners. However, noone has been actively maintaining it for several years, actually was not compatible with MacOS versions newer than High Sierra, and started to lose capability as Tesla tweaked the API calls. It finally met it's final death (at least for me) in February when Tesla revised the oauth login process.

I hadn't done any serious programming for many years (anyone remember Fortran77??). I was back in the US over holidays and one of my daughters helped me get an initial python implementation up and running. I've since gradually built it into a more full functional logger program that meets my needs, primarily tracking charging and apparent battery degradation stats. This includes functionality that automates recharging at set SOC levels when my car is not in use and variable sample rate strategy based upon both fully configurable schedule of wake/sleep/hibernate states by day and dynamic sample rate interval based upon vehicle speed/distance traveled when driving or rate of charge while charging. My logger is not fancy; it has no gui interface and runs in a background terminal window. I do have a series of utility programs where I do things like calculate daily usage stats, stats for each driving trip, or charging session. Plots are all created more on an as needed basis and largely work in process.

The plot I shared is the first good set of multiple supercharging sessions I've had since my logger has gotten up and going. What you see is my first shot at this from when I was back in May and had a chance to drive. The dynamic sample rate based upon ROC is part of what allows me to get a relatively decent curve during supercharging sessions as a fixed time-based sample method would be sparsely populated at low SOC/high kW levels while not oversampling at higher SOC. It also manages very different time based rates for a supercharger session vs. when I'm charging at home on a 240V/40amp L2 charger. That's not obvious in the plots but if you looked at any one of the sessions on a time, not SOC axis, that would become much more obvious.

Reactions: Peelz
My chart was created via data I collect myself and not via a site like TeslaFi or some other 3rd party app. Call me particular, but I have never been comfortable providing my login credentials, or even token file, to a 3rd party source. I also wish to retain full ownership of my data and not allow others to commercialize it for their own gain, which is what I see sites like TeslaFi doing even though much of the information around how the API works has been crowdsourced and publicly shared by other Tesla enthusiasts without getting any compensation.

I used for about 4.5 years a program running locally on my home laptop known as VisibleTesla. That was one of the early community developed loggers which was publicly available as shareward for free use by owners. However, noone has been actively maintaining it for several years, actually was not compatible with MacOS versions newer than High Sierra, and started to lose capability as Tesla tweaked the API calls. It finally met it's final death (at least for me) in February when Tesla revised the oauth login process.

I hadn't done any serious programming for many years (anyone remember Fortran77??). I was back in the US over holidays and one of my daughters helped me get an initial python implementation up and running. I've since gradually built it into a more full functional logger program that meets my needs, primarily tracking charging and apparent battery degradation stats. This includes functionality that automates recharging at set SOC levels when my car is not in use and variable sample rate strategy based upon both fully configurable schedule of wake/sleep/hibernate states by day and dynamic sample rate interval based upon vehicle speed/distance traveled when driving or rate of charge while charging. My logger is not fancy; it has no gui interface and runs in a background terminal window. I do have a series of utility programs where I do things like calculate daily usage stats, stats for each driving trip, or charging session. Plots are all created more on an as needed basis and largely work in process.

The plot I shared is the first good set of multiple supercharging sessions I've had since my logger has gotten up and going. What you see is my first shot at this from when I was back in May and had a chance to drive. The dynamic sample rate based upon ROC is part of what allows me to get a relatively decent curve during supercharging sessions as a fixed time-based sample method would be sparsely populated at low SOC/high kW levels while not oversampling at higher SOC. It also manages very different time based rates for a supercharger session vs. when I'm charging at home on a 240V/40amp L2 charger. That's not obvious in the plots but if you looked at any one of the sessions on a time, not SOC axis, that would become much more obvious.

Cool. I'm doing it on a notepad next to my outlet i write down % and miles, then I'll plug into a cheesy spreadsheet at work.. LOL clearly not as detailed and I'm mostly interested in the cost analysis not degradation or anything. Tesla was much more expensive than the SUV we are replacing, so I scratch down KwH use vs miles, then take that same amount and apply it to the 17-18 mpg dinosaur(thats what it feels like driving the old thing now) to see the comparison.

so far, first full week, it doesn't exactly "pay for itself" but is easily halves the cost for commute, and the more we drive it, the better it gets. SO it comes close to paying for the extra $ in the financing.

But now, the SC map looks a WHOLE lot better now without that big hole around us!!! The Only anxiety we had was maybe coming home and needing to go to Iowa City, C.R. or QC or something... if we're low, we can hit that Mt. P. SC then head up. Range is now a NON-ISSUE.

I agree with 3rd party sharing. Its enough for me that Tesla has it. :)

Cool. I'm doing it on a notepad next to my outlet i write down % and miles, then I'll plug into a cheesy spreadsheet at work.. LOL clearly not as detailed and I'm mostly interested in the cost analysis not degradation or anything. Tesla was much more expensive than the SUV we are replacing, so I scratch down KwH use vs miles, then take that same amount and apply it to the 17-18 mpg dinosaur(thats what it feels like driving the old thing now) to see the comparison.

so far, first full week, it doesn't exactly "pay for itself" but is easily halves the cost for commute, and the more we drive it, the better it gets. SO it comes close to paying for the extra $ in the financing.

But now, the SC map looks a WHOLE lot better now without that big hole around us!!! The Only anxiety we had was maybe coming home and needing to go to Iowa City, C.R. or QC or something... if we're low, we can hit that Mt. P. SC then head up. Range is now a NON-ISSUE.

I agree with 3rd party sharing. Its enough for me that Tesla has it. :)
Supercharging will be much more expensive than home charging if you're interested in reducing costs.

Supercharging will be much more expensive than home charging if you're interested in reducing costs.

Indeed. but no, I charge at home @ 32 amps.... The only scenario that concerned me was Maybe a quick Friday trip that 32 amps isn't quick enough., Say She had to drive a little more throughout the day then come home with a lower charge than usual, we need to get out of town in a hurry for an appt or something. Theres no charging anywhere nearby. We live right outside Mt P. Now, we can just hit that. Zero concern.

but yeah supercharging more expensive than home, which is like a dime per kwh I believe. lol But even SC'ing its well below what the 17mpg behemoth has been costing.