Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Mt. Pleasant, IA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that's what I thought too. 7 seemed odd but I don't know the specifics of how they're designed/built.

honestly, Im surprised theyre even putting one in here at all. Very rural, conservative, agricultural. Iv'e seen MAYBE 7-8 Teslas EVER here TOTAL lol
Superchargers out in rural America are primarily for serving travelers not necessarily locals that home charge. That said, once an installation is convenient it may influence some interest in purchasing a Tesla though. While you may have only seen 7-8 in the area, once a SuC is installed it will bring more travelers though the area. As the great saying goes for famous Iowa corn field, “If you build it, they will come”

Superchargers out in rural America are primarily for serving travelers not necessarily locals that home charge. That said, once an installation is convenient it may influence some interest in purchasing a Tesla though. While you may have only seen 7-8 in the area, once a SuC is installed it will bring more travelers though the area. As the great saying goes for famous Iowa corn field, “If you build it, they will come”
I agree completely. It'll be interesting to see what kind of commerce pops up around them.

"how will you get anywhere?" is the first question I get when I mention we ordered the Y. Which I admit, was a mentality I overcame looking at an earlier EV charger map. There was BIG hole right around us down here. As I was looking, the morning we test drove, I realized the edge of that circle is fully within range with room to spare if we Charge at home @ 240v. As soon as I made that distinction while mapping possible trips, the switch became a no brainer.

For instance, A regular trip to the in laws is about 325 miles. It's a magnificently boring trip across Illinois on 74 to eastern indiana. which sucks anyways-A trip I originally thought would be un-doable with EV. We always make a stop...maybe two to break up the monotony. Plotting out, taking a Tesla that was charged at home, would maybe add 45m -1hr with SC'ing, And cost half! (but be WAY cooler) lol Towing the boat, rural trips... some questions remain for us, but excited to learn.

The range anxiety thing... If you ride motorcycles like I Do, its not that big of a deal. Iv'e been lost in the Ozark mountain area before with a dead phone and GPS and the gas light on in the rain, trying to read a paper map at night.. Just requires a little planning to avoid stress. :) Itll take my wife a bit to get used to it, shes the "tanks half gone we need to find a town with gas!" personality. And I am very opposite. More of a "Ive still got 45 miles after the fuel light comes on, just wait" type. A fun marital juxtaposition

:D

getting excited. but feels like the car will never get here. :oops::p

4 would be quite small with the exponential growth in the number of Tesla cars on the road. Even in rural areas 4 would be very small. It would be nice to see them be at least 8 and on major interstate corridors at least 12 minimum. We’ve seen lots of busy SCs. I’d also like to see the prices increase because I know that here locally the Superchargers are often being used by local owners versus road trippers. But I’m biased since we have lifetime free unlimited supercharging & we only use it for road trips.

Supercharging isn't expensive enough? I pay for my Supercharging and only use it for road trips, which account for more than 70% of the 100,000 miles on my Model 3. It currently costs about the same as gas for something like a Prius. No offense, but it's a little tone deaf when people with free Supercharging say the rates should be increased for those without free Supercharging. :rolleyes:

Reactions: sdoorex and Peelz
Supercharging isn't expensive enough? I pay for my Supercharging and only use it for road trips, which account for more than 70% of the 100,000 miles on my Model 3. It currently costs about the same as gas for something like a Prius. No offense, but it's a little tone deaf when people with free Supercharging say the rates should be increased for those without free Supercharging. :rolleyes:
Agree, most people who sit at local ones either live in apartments or have free supercharging 🙄
I've only used a local one once or twice when I forgot to charge and had to go somewhere a ways away.

Agree, most people who sit at local ones either live in apartments or have free supercharging 🙄
I've only used a local one once or twice when I forgot to charge and had to go somewhere a ways away.
You'll have to provide a citation to support your assertion that "most people who sit at local ones...have free supercharging".

The use cases for SCs are myriad. There's a SC near my house; I never use it even though I have free SC'ing for life because charging at home is more convenient. I stop by there regularly (it's at a Target where I go anyway) and most folks I talk to there are from the greater twin cities area and do not have free SC. The needs vary: some are from out of state and are traveling. Some are from out of town but in MN, and while could make it home without charging, want a little boost before heading home. Some, as you said, live in apartments; my son is one of these folks, and while he has a 110v outlet for charging at his apartment, sometimes he needs a faster charge up. But he pays for it, too, no free SC on his M3. Other folks at the SC are those who put a lot of miles on just in town, and just want a fast fill up. Come to think of it, I don't think I've met anyone who *has* had free SC'ing at my local SC. There are probably some, but I think it's a quite varied mix even of the local folks. But that's just anecdotal based on my experience. Only Tesla really knows what the mix is.

You'll have to provide a citation to support your assertion that "most people who sit at local ones...have free supercharging".

The use cases for SCs are myriad. There's a SC near my house; I never use it even though I have free SC'ing for life because charging at home is more convenient. I stop by there regularly (it's at a Target where I go anyway) and most folks I talk to there are from the greater twin cities area and do not have free SC. The needs vary: some are from out of state and are traveling. Some are from out of town but in MN, and while could make it home without charging, want a little boost before heading home. Some, as you said, live in apartments; my son is one of these folks, and while he has a 110v outlet for charging at his apartment, sometimes he needs a faster charge up. But he pays for it, too, no free SC on his M3. Other folks at the SC are those who put a lot of miles on just in town, and just want a fast fill up. Come to think of it, I don't think I've met anyone who *has* had free SC'ing at my local SC. There are probably some, but I think it's a quite varied mix even of the local folks. But that's just anecdotal based on my experience. Only Tesla really knows what the mix is.
I don't want to get off topic and start an argument in this forum, however I don't know the people in your area nor do I have an excel presentation for you. In my area I used to work right by the SC and also shop at the store there. I always saw local plates (S/X) and the same cars a lot of the time (more than weekly). I'm not faulting them. Free is free and there is technically no rule against it. The main people I saw with model 3s were out of town plates. Just an observation. I also see lots of local plate people (S/X) on another SC I charge at frequently in the state. I'm sure it differs with area.

Reactions: superflyrolla
I don't want to get off topic and start an argument in this forum, however I don't know the people in your area nor do I have an excel presentation for you. In my area I used to work right by the SC and also shop at the store there. I always saw local plates (S/X) and the same cars a lot of the time (more than weekly). I'm not faulting them. Free is free and there is technically no rule against it. The main people I saw with model 3s were out of town plates. Just an observation. I also see lots of local plate people (S/X) on another SC I charge at frequently in the state. I'm sure it differs with area.
Unless you live in Tennessee or Georgia where the counties are listed on the plate, or a very small state such as Rhode Island or Delaware, it's very difficult to gauge who is "local." Even the guy you see every week with your in-state plate could be making a 100+ mile commute for some type of work or to take care of a family member.

Reactions: starman27
Unless you live in Tennessee or Georgia where the counties are listed on the plate, or a very small state such as Rhode Island or Delaware, it's very difficult to gauge who is "local." Even the guy you see every week with your in-state plate could be making a 100+ mile commute for some type of work or to take care of a family member.
My state puts counties on plates...... otherwise I wouldn't have said that.

Reactions: OrbiterTI4
A friend sent me this today.
8D5E01C3-E4E6-4299-8DE8-1BC4416CFEEE.jpeg

I was by mid-day today. All 8 of the charging pedestals are in place, but charging cabinets are still sitting in the parking area, need to be set on their base, and all the electrical work run. I was able to get up close enough to it and it's definitely V3. You can tell both by the size of the cables on the handles plus was a part number label I could see on one of the cabinets with a V3 reference.

IMG_2233.jpgIMG_2234.jpg

I was by mid-day today. All 8 of the charging pedestals are in place, but charging cabinets are still sitting in the parking area, need to be set on their base, and all the electrical work run. I was able to get up close enough to it and it's definitely V3. You can tell both by the size of the cables on the handles plus was a part number label I could see on one of the cabinets with a V3 reference.

View attachment 662629View attachment 662630
Do you drive a black 3?

No, my Tesla is a mid 2016 refresh MS90D. However, I was not driving it today, so if you saw a black Model 3 at the site, it was not me. Family decided to take the minivan this time coming back to visit family. Given some of the gravel roads I was on yesterday outside Bloomfield, IA, I was very glad not to be driving my MS90D.
Cool. Don’t see many... but Saw one on the road Friday. There’s someone down here that has a red S plugged in behind the christian school all the time too..

I was in Mt Pleasant last week -- talked with one of the guys there and they said give it another couple weeks or so. I will be stopping there this next week (May 27) and will take a few updated pictures. I NEED this charger in the winter to get from Eastern IA to Lake of the Ozarks. Heavy wind and very cold Temps kills the range. I was charging in Canton on the CHAdeMO charger but the adaptor limits charging to about 38kW. PAINFUL sitting there over an hour. IA City, Mt Pleasant, Hannibal, and Osage Beach solve all problems getting to Lake. Hannibal and Mt Pleasant solve St Louis to Minneapolis too. Just need the Waterloo in now (close the gap between IA City and Rochester).

Reactions: frnkblk
I was in Mt Pleasant last week -- talked with one of the guys there and they said give it another couple weeks or so. I will be stopping there this next week (May 27) and will take a few updated pictures. I NEED this charger in the winter to get from Eastern IA to Lake of the Ozarks. Heavy wind and very cold Temps kills the range. I was charging in Canton on the CHAdeMO charger but the adaptor limits charging to about 38kW. PAINFUL sitting there over an hour. IA City, Mt Pleasant, Hannibal, and Osage Beach solve all problems getting to Lake. Hannibal and Mt Pleasant solve St Louis to Minneapolis too. Just need the Waterloo in now (close the gap between IA City and Rochester).
Waterloo is already up an operational. Was first reported on Wednesday this week as operational, ref this other thread. I now see both recently opened Hannibal and Waterloo sites showing up on in car on the main screen/navigation as operational

Would be really nice if HyVee would consider hosting one in Galesburg at their store on Main St. not far off I-74. That would nicely help with those traveling from SE Iowa to/from eastern Illinois via the Hwy 34 artery over to I-74. Not quite as convenient as if Tesla could locate one at the Hwy-34 / I-74 interchange, but main stores there are Walmart and Menards which have not shown any interest in hosting Tesla chargers in most cases (Walmart appears to be more into hosting Electrify America chargers).

Personally, I actually would have preferred Galesburg as a site along the I-74 corridor. Peoria is nice as allows skipping the Bloomington/Normal supercharger which is way off I-74 and I find really inconvenient. I actually have found it to be more convenient to route up to Peru and then across I-80 into Davenport when I travel between Cedar Rapids and central Indiana.