Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Location Requests

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that @maddog1762 is in South Carolina, he's probably looking at the gap going north/northwest out of the Carolinas. Some strategically located SCs could be great:

• Wyethville/Fort Chiswell, VA -- on the section of interstate that is both I-77 and I-81. The Wyethville Cracker Barrel is 132 miles from Burlington NC Supercharger and 133 miles from the Charlotte Supercharger.
  • Charleston WV -- at the crossroads of I-64, I-77, and I-79. 129 miles from the Wyethville site, 156 miles from Grove City OH Supercharger and 187 miles from Tridelphia.
  • Morgantown WV -- intersection of I-68 and I-79. Stepping stone from Charleston to Pittsburgh.

When will Tesla start focusing on tourist locations that are seasonal? Charlevoix, MI has a few thousand people only that live there year round, but blossoms to 300,000 for certain weeks in the summer. Closest supercharger is Traverse City, Gaylord, or Mackinac. When talking to people in Detroit, they list lack of charger near their vacation rentals in northern Michigan as a reason for not buying one.

Reactions: The Meal
Holy resurrected thread, Batman! ...but a good thread. :) I don't know why Tesla hasn't strongarmed someone in Branson, MO to install a supercharger. The only thing I can think of is that Tesla demands it be near Branson Landing and those owners are holding out, so it's a stalemate. Good tourist spot, fills in a dead zone, plenty of nature and things to do. Please Tesla, Branson, MO.

When will Tesla start focusing on tourist locations that are seasonal? Charlevoix, MI has a few thousand people only that live there year round, but blossoms to 300,000 for certain weeks in the summer. Closest supercharger is Traverse City, Gaylord, or Mackinac. When talking to people in Detroit, they list lack of charger near their vacation rentals in northern Michigan as a reason for not buying one.
The solution to this problem is for the vacation rentals to install outlets that people can use to charge up overnight, not for Tesla to install superchargers everywhere. Basically, this is a user-problem, not a Tesla-problem. People either need to vote with their wallet to only stay where they can charge or they need to convince the place they're insisting on staying at to add charging accommodations. Tesla will get them there and get them back, the rest is up to them.

Taking just your specific example, Detroit to Charlevoix, currently the "best route" has you turning off I-75 at Grayling and continuing on state and US highways. Driving that route, your last supercharger would be Bay City, about 155 mi. from Charlesvoix. But detouring to the Gaylord supercharger only adds about 5 miles and less than 5 minutes of drive time. Then your last supercharger would be less than 40 miles from your end-point. You can easily arrive with a very full battery, last quite a while without needing charging at all, and still have plenty charge left to make it to Gaylord on your way back.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H and KJD
The solution to this problem is for the vacation rentals to install outlets that people can use to charge up overnight, not for Tesla to install superchargers everywhere. Basically, this is a user-problem, not a Tesla-problem. People either need to vote with their wallet to only stay where they can charge or they need to convince the place they're insisting on staying at to add charging accommodations. Tesla will get them there and get them back, the rest is up to them.
Could not disagree more. Not everyone wants to stay overnight for a charge. Some of us want to go, explore, and go back home, and if you're exploring in a SC drought area, you have no option. Some people like taking the back roads. Range anxiety will never go away until DCFC are as ubiquitous as gas stations. In any case, I do agree with you that it's not strictly Tesla's responsibility. If there is a 3rd party DCFC option, in more convenient places, I'll use that. I'm not married to Tesla SC.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Range anxiety will never go away until DCFC are as ubiquitous as gas stations.
I keep hearing this nonsense, and it's just not true. It is still thinking in the gas car mindset, where 100% of fueling for all cars, all the time, week in and week out, year round must be done by going to a "filling station". So you need a certain number of them to cover that quantity of use.

But with buildings that are not filling stations having the electricity that the cars need, that perspective doesn't apply. That same quantity of stations isn't needed. Most of the time, most electric cars can charge at other places where they are parked that are not "filling stations". It is mostly while traveling that they need the DCFC, and that is obviously less than all the time, like it is with gas cars, so there are fewer stations needed. This is just common sense.

And yes, I used the words like "most", because there are the cases like condos and apartments and such where some people do have to rely on charging stations exclusively, but that's not all EVs.

I keep hearing this nonsense, and it's just not true. It is still thinking in the gas car mindset, where 100% of fueling for all cars, all the time, week in and week out, year round must be done by going to a "filling station". So you need a certain number of them to cover that quantity of use.

But with buildings that are not filling stations having the electricity that the cars need, that perspective doesn't apply. That same quantity of stations isn't needed. Most of the time, most electric cars can charge at other places where they are parked that are not "filling stations". It is mostly while traveling that they need the DCFC, and that is obviously less than all the time, like it is with gas cars, so there are fewer stations needed. This is just common sense.

And yes, I used the words like "most", because there are the cases like condos and apartments and such where some people do have to rely on charging stations exclusively, but that's not all EVs.
Oh, so you're just going to ignore my comment on fast charging drought areas for traveling, especially in non-urban areas. Yeah, every building has electricity flowing and you CAN charge, but it's not feasible if 1) it's not a public station, 2) it's not fast enough to keep things flowing. Besides, we're talking about range anxiety in general. Until John and Jane Q. Public can think of EVs like they do gas cars, they won't adopt. You're not going to change that "gas mindset" with any "um actuallyyyyyy......" statements like the ones you make, not in a mainstream way, anyway.

Oh, so you're just going to ignore my comment on fast charging drought areas for traveling, especially in non-urban areas.
I did not happen to address it. You say "ignoring" it. I have addressed that elsewhere in many other threads when talking about coverage of routes. I heartily agree that geographic areas need basic coverage. Sparse non-urban areas do at least need SOMEthing. They need at least one station of something just to make things possible. That stuff is all correct and accurate.

But it was well worth pointing out how false that FUD is that there need to be the same quantity of electric fast chargers as gas stations. It's so fundamental that ALL gas filling needs to be done at those stations, while only SOME electric filling needs to be done at those stations, that it doesn't need the same number of stations. Location coverage--sure--but that's a different topic.

I did not happen to address it. You say "ignoring" it. I have addressed that elsewhere in many other threads when talking about coverage of routes. I heartily agree that geographic areas need basic coverage. Sparse non-urban areas do at least need SOMEthing. They need at least one station of something just to make things possible. That stuff is all correct and accurate.

But it was well worth pointing out how false that FUD is that there need to be the same quantity of electric fast chargers as gas stations. It's so fundamental that ALL gas filling needs to be done at those stations, while only SOME electric filling needs to be done at those stations, that it doesn't need the same number of stations. Location coverage--sure--but that's a different topic.
Sounds we agree 100%. I never once said there needed to be the "same number of stations." I said they need to be ubitquitous as gas stations.... as in seemingly available in all areas so EV drivers don't have to think about it when traveling.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Sounds we agree 100%. I never once said there needed to be the "same number of stations." I said they need to be ubitquitous as gas stations.... as in seemingly available in all areas so EV drivers don't have to think about it when traveling.
I guess "as ubiquitous" could be understood a couple of different ways. If I am going to an area, I consider it basically covered if there is at least a Supercharger site somewhere in the city. It may take an intentional drive in a direction I'm not necessarily going, and an extra 20-30 minutes round trip or something, but I think that's good enough. But I've seen complaints here from people who are going to a place (I remember a Vancouver thread) and are irritated that it's not convenient because none of the multiple Superchargers in the city are on the side of town they are already on. So there just isn't that level of quantity to have it fully to that level of immediate accessibility yet, where you can just look around on any street and see a gas station. If that's the level of "ubiquity" people need before considering an electric car, that's what I think is a little unreasonable to expect.

I guess "as ubiquitous" could be understood a couple of different ways. If I am going to an area, I consider it basically covered if there is at least a Supercharger site somewhere in the city. It may take an intentional drive in a direction I'm not necessarily going, and an extra 20-30 minutes round trip or something, but I think that's good enough. But I've seen complaints here from people who are going to a place (I remember a Vancouver thread) and are irritated that it's not convenient because none of the multiple Superchargers in the city are on the side of town they are already on. So there just isn't that level of quantity to have it fully to that level of immediate accessibility yet, where you can just look around on any street and see a gas station. If that's the level of "ubiquity" people need before considering an electric car, that's what I think is a little unreasonable to expect.
Glad we got that cleared up. I agree that's unreasonable also. I live in what I consider a small city, and I'm surprised we got our 2nd SC when there are bigger cities like Little Rock that only have 1. When your home should be your main charging, you don't need to see an SC every day on your commute to work. I charge on a 120v and I don't even need an SC unless traveling. On the rare times you need non-home charge, or to charge up before a roadtrip, just factor that initial SC travel/charge time into your commute. Not that hard. For us....

I think for more normies, they'd be more comfortable getting an EV if the visual of seeing one became more common. A kind of critical mass. ...but I agree it's not needed. I convinced my parents to get a Tesla. Dad was onboard because he's a techie nerd just like me and likes to crunch the numbers and plan trips. Mom was much more skeptical in the way I mentioned above. Now that they have one and she's used it, she's a total convert. Were she on her own, she'd still be driving a Caddy SUV instead of a Model Y.

When will Tesla start focusing on tourist locations that are seasonal? Charlevoix, MI has a few thousand people only that live there year round, but blossoms to 300,000 for certain weeks in the summer.
Charlevoix hits 30,000 people on one day of the summer (Venetian Saturday).

That said, I'm down with getting a supercharger there, as it'd be extra convenient for my once every-other-year road trip back home.

—CHS Graduate 1990. Go Rayders!