Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had the "live status" icons sporadically not show up on the map as of late? Just within the last few days, toggling the Supercharger button on the map will still show the red dots (and A,B,C,D) on the map showing each location, but there is not "battery icon" showing availability or usage. If I touch and open one of the red dots, the pop-up dialog also does not show any "x of y available" either (although I've never ever noticed if it was there before).

Nothing I can do on the map, including rebooting the 17" display will bring the status back, but hours later I may get in the car for another drive and the live status will be working fine again and it normally has.

I noticed the same issue today. Was able to see availability this morning around 8 AM, but not available starting at 2 PM until now.

It's another piece of "over promise and under deliver" from Tesla. On a 2,000 mile trip in June the bars were always visible, but usually also inaccurate. Inaccurate data can be worse than no data if you make a decision based on an SC being full, when it is in fact not full.

I've concluded that the only the crucial vehicle control functions receive any testing. All other software and systems go through an announce, prototype, ship, and forget cycle. Route planning has been in beta for almost two years, the disastrous media player is covered extensively in other threads and virtually all the CID app are very poor compared with other vehicles, or a similar smart phone app.

Even in the "critical" area, AP HW 2.0 took almost a year to achieve functional parity with AP HW 1.0.

Tesla is no longer a new company. Poor software and "over commit, under deliver" has become part of the corporate culture. In 3-4 months we'll be reading about all the incomplete/buggy/unreliable software in the Model 3 which Tesla will explain away as being a function of early deliveries. But I assert that most of the poor peripheral s/w will still be problematic 2yrs from now. It's the Tesla way.

The good news is that we're going to have a lot more choices in the 2019-2020.

Makes me wonder if Tesla knows that the status is somewhat inaccurate and delayed, and disabled it for the Eclipse weekend, so people don't rely on it and get stuck somewhere? I could see a mountain of complaints flooding in.

The status indicator also don't show how many people are waiting in line.

Is bad data better than no data?

And how would you propose that Tesla obtain these data?

I'm not. I'm just saying that on a weekend like this, where there are going to be long lines at some popular SC locations, the SC status indicator is useless at conveying real-time SC utilization. So it's arguably better to not have the indicator on at all.

Say there's one stall that's ICEd out of 8. How many people are going to see "1 of 8 stalls available" on the touchscreen and assume they charge when they arrive.. but when they do, there's 10 cars waiting?

Reactions: ohmman
And how would you propose that Tesla obtain these data?

If they're literally waiting at the Supercharger, Tesla could easily set up something in the code with a geotag - this car arrived at the location more than two minutes ago, is still sitting there and not plugged in, it must be waiting for a charge.

Also, anyone who arrives on Nav sequence that calls for charging and doesn't plug in immediately...

Reactions: GSP
If they're literally waiting at the Supercharger, Tesla could easily set up something in the code with a geotag - this car arrived at the location more than two minutes ago, is still sitting there and not plugged in, it must be waiting for a charge.

Good point! If Uber and Lyft can show real-time locations of their cars, Tesla could easily see there's a cluster of X cars not charging at a location, and devine a pretty close estimation of people waiting to charge. Really, how many people are going to hang around a SC after they've charged?

Good point! If Uber and Lyft can show real-time locations of their cars, Tesla could easily see there's a cluster of X cars not charging at a location, and devine a pretty close estimation of people waiting to charge. Really, how many people are going to hang around a SC after they've charged?

For Uber, that's "real-time" locations. ;)

Reactions: HankLloydRight

Even if folks do decide to hang out after charging and moving the car, they'd be easy to separate out just by looking at last charging session information.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Poor software and "over commit, under deliver" has become part of the corporate culture

I am afraid that is a correct depiction..

I remember Nissan app sometimes did not work for days, before someone in their IT department woke up and recycled their servers. Not sure if it is any more reliable now. I sometimes feel Tesla is slowly slipping down that path.

Also, anyone who arrives on Nav sequence that calls for charging and doesn't plug in immediately...
I have to say that on a road trip last month, Nav actually routed around busy Superchargers in favor of less utilized ones. Not that it addresses the issue of waiters, but if you aren't routed to a busy SpC, you won't be waiting. As much. :)

I have to say that on a road trip last month, Nav actually routed around busy Superchargers in favor of less utilized ones. Not that it addresses the issue of waiters, but if you aren't routed to a busy SpC, you won't be waiting. As much. :)
That's great, but based on my experience driving to "full" SCs that weren't full at all, you were perhaps re-routed unnecessarily.