Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger Live Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone decided to take me up on the above. After a relatively long but pleasant conversation, and some pretty compelling points that I hadn't originally considered, I've made a gentleman's agreement to discontinue my private API with the real-time and historical supercharger data. I won't go into more detail, so please don't pry. Suffice it to say there was no legal action or anything drastic involved, and the decision to discontinue my API is entirely mine.

While I know this may be disappointing, the positive side is that I had the opportunity to discuss the usefulness of this data from an owner's perspective directly with the people involved at Tesla. The popularity of the data obtained through my API has at least proven that customers do indeed find the information useful/helpful. Tesla is definitely committed to providing more information that is useful for owners as things progress, and it's possible that they're driven even more so to do this as a result of my exposure of the data for this short time. I'm convinced they'll do the right thing for owners on this matter and will leave it in their hands.

For those of you using my API, I will be changing all sites to report 100% unknown soon. Historic data will be unavailable.

-wk
Thanks for being party to greatness. I hit "love" because of the excellent way all involved handled it by appearances. I of course hate losing the data itself. I would love to see this revealed better in the future.

Reactions: bmah
Next level would be if the red bars that indicated a slot is in use were shaded to show the % of charging of the vehicle... In other words you could see who is just starting out and who will be finished soon. A charging station with no stalls available could be a 5 min wait or an hour wait.. so knowing how far along the cars are would be top notch

Personally I'd like improved accuracy first. There are some reports upthread of the in-car display showing different stall occupancy that what was indicated by reality, even accounting for the refresh cycles of the data. I experienced a little of that on a short road trip a couple weeks back.

Bruce.

Reactions: Boatguy
Beating the horse, but all we really need is a 'go to stall XX' when we pull into the SC. Live, in real time, that's the only thing that matters.

While cool, the live capacity indicator provides little utility.

Predicting future capacity is slightly more intriguing, but I'm sure nobody here will ever be smart enough to figure out how to manipulate that data and be allowed to do so...

Bxr140, I think that this live capacity indicator has some utility, but not as much as your suggestion directing us to stall #X.

I think that there are times when we have a choice where and when to Supercharge our cars. Interstate 5 has Harris Ranch, Buttonwillow and Bakersfield - West within relatively short distances. Similarly, Interstate 80 has Rocklin and Roseville, plus two spots in Truckee. US50 has two spots at Folsom. In addition, there might be times when we can choose the time we wish to Supercharge. We arrive at (or near) our destination. We can charge upon arrival, or we can charge after we eat dinner/go shopping/whatever based upon the congestion as displayed, because we are stopping for 4 hours or overnight.

Right now long trips on one highway like Interstate 80 eat of Reno there are no choices to make. We are stuck stopping at Lovelock, Winnemucca, Elko, and so forth. It makes no difference how many are in use. We just arrive and hope for the best.

I think that there are times when we have a choice where and when to Supercharge our cars. Interstate 5 has Harris Ranch, Buttonwillow and Bakersfield - West within relatively short distances. Similarly, Interstate 80 has Rocklin and Roseville, plus two spots in Truckee. US50 has two spots at Folsom. In addition, there might be times when we can choose the time we wish to Supercharge. We arrive at (or near) our destination. We can charge upon arrival, or we can charge after we eat dinner/go shopping/whatever based upon the congestion as displayed, because we are stopping for 4 hours or overnight.

On top of that, I would add that for most battery capacities, you have some additional flexibility along that I-5 route in terms of charging longer at one station allowing you to skip or nearly skip the next. I've done the SF to Vegas trip multiple ways, including skipping Mojave by charging more at Buttonwillow/Bakersfield and directly heading to Barstow.

Bxr140, I think that this live capacity indicator has some utility...

No doubt, but I think its also easy to conflate live status with future status. Your 'long stop' example and your Harris vs Buttonwillow suggestion are cases where you really need to know is what the chargers will look like in the future, so you can determine if its better or worse than the present. Same goes for @chillaban's example. You can't really make an informed charging decision for a charger that's an hour or more away with real time data. Even the Tejon vs Bakersfield decision is pretty straight forward [now that Tejon has 10 stalls]--if you can make it to the next charger, odds are you're better off timewise even if you get paired a bit down the road.

I think the most useful aspect of live status is when there are SCs a handful of minutes apart, as you've suggested. Its very unlikely someone could only make it to one but not the other, so a last minute check could prove useful. That said, I think it would be statistically unlikely your decision would change based on the live data, since crowded chargers seem to be more calendar related and less location related--if one location is clogged up, they all are, because its a busy weekend or a heavy travel day or whatever.

Nice work, Tesla!
I hope they also in the future supply aggregated historical information around the clock for each day of that week.
And a really cool feature would let people notify the system of an intent to go to a Supercharger so that future occupancy availability could be determined.

@SageBrush - IMO, it is extremely unlikely. Tesla is super sensitive about their supercharger data and they are definitely not fans of aggregating the data so as to allow historical usage views.
Huge competitive advantage having all the SCs in so many places and Tesla (or us) wouldn't want other companies taking advantage of all Tesla's hard work in analyzing these spots/regions.

IMO, it is extremely unlikely. Tesla is super sensitive about their supercharger data and they are definitely not fans of aggregating the data so as to allow historical usage views.

Huge competitive advantage having all the SCs in so many places and Tesla (or us) wouldn't want other companies taking advantage of all Tesla's hard work in analyzing these spots/regions.

Fair point I had not though about. Perhaps in the future that data will be less valuable and the ability to relieve congestion by putting it to use for customers will carry the day. I was just thinking about this some more, and predictive routing to SuperCharging is just too awesome a feature to ignore for long.

Supercharging is going to morph into smart Supercharging. I'm willing to bet on it.

Reactions: scottf200
Nice work, Tesla!
I hope they also in the future supply aggregated historical information around the clock for each day of that week.
And a really cool feature would let people notify the system of an intent to go to a Supercharger so that future occupancy availability could be determined.
I would be happy if the NAV screen display of SCs would update their busy status in real time. I have decided on a particular SC showing open slots, only to find out upon arrival that it had filled up. Turns out that you have to renew your search in order to get timely information.

I would be happy if the NAV screen display of SCs would update their busy status in real time. I have decided on a particular SC showing open slots, only to find out upon arrival that it had filled up. Turns out that you have to renew your search in order to get timely information.

Not exactly. If you leave the dialog open it will poll for updates every ~2 minutes. It's not possible for the car to poll more frequently than that.

• Informative
Reactions: Model S M.D.
Not exactly. If you leave the dialog open it will poll for updates every ~2 minutes. It's not possible for the car to poll more frequently than that.
What does "leave the dialogue open" mean? My experience has been that once the supercharger locations show on the NAV screen, their open/in-use status bars do not change. Or has one of the recent upgrades corrected that?

What does "leave the dialogue open" mean? My experience has been that once the supercharger locations show on the NAV screen, their open/in-use status bars do not change. Or has one of the recent upgrades corrected that?
If you open one of the Supercharger icons on the map, you'll see the verbiage "x of y stalls available." This does in fact update if you leave that SpC detail open. I'm not sure the "battery icon" indicators when you hit charger information that are displayed on the left dynamically update.

Nice work, Tesla!

As I've posted a few times before, I'm expecting Tesla to do the future intent part in the background through the Nav - since it gives you an estimated arrival time and charge time, there's no reason it can't pass that exact data to a Tesla server that aggregates it and predicts overloads - and if there's enough network density and nearby slack capacity, it can reroute later cars to other nearby sites or time phase cars by charging higher at some stations.

I can understand why Tesla doesn't want third parties aggregating data, but I'm sure that Tesla is doing it themselves. I wish they'd give us more insight for trip planning, but I can see why they might hesitate to give out too much.

It's not entirely related, but I'd really like to see them let you do the trip planning on the phone app, with the charge estimate on arrival and routing through Superchargers and real time supercharger status (and the custom waypoints they hopefully give us in the Nav overhaul as well,) then have the phone drop it to the car for you automatically or via a share button.

Personally I'd like improved accuracy first. There are some reports upthread of the in-car display showing different stall occupancy that what was indicated by reality, even accounting for the refresh cycles of the data. I experienced a little of that on a short road trip a couple weeks back.

Bruce.
Some slots are blocked by Tesla (i.e. they show in use) when Tesla is aware of a faulty charger.

Has anyone had the "live status" icons sporadically not show up on the map as of late? Just within the last few days, toggling the Supercharger button on the map will still show the red dots (and A,B,C,D) on the map showing each location, but there is not "battery icon" showing availability or usage. If I touch and open one of the red dots, the pop-up dialog also does not show any "x of y available" either (although I've never ever noticed if it was there before).

Nothing I can do on the map, including rebooting the 17" display will bring the status back, but hours later I may get in the car for another drive and the live status will be working fine again and it normally has.

Reactions: Johann Koeber