Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Little Rock, AR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This arrangement is definitely different, but it looks like it'll work all right -- looking at @alderct first picture, you can park to the right of the stanchion with your bumper at the curb (thx, rear cam), and the wire should be able to reach the charging socket easily enough.

The "Tesla Bureau of Acceptable SuperCharger Installation" may still decide that this gets their "Unacceptable" rating -- we'll know soon enough...

I agree with all of the concerns for the orientation of the units, especially the stress of reversing directions.
More than once in my limited history of SCing, I had to adjust my parking to avoid stress on the cable.
However, is it really possible that Tesla was not fully supervising this process? That is hard to comprehend.
But if some Tesla designer did not account for the orientation and cable being too short for convenience, well there you go..
Either way, the deficit will result in challenges to the owners for proper parking alignment or more delays due to the correction.

I just think this pedestal orientation is conductive to those with bike racks or other small hitched items.

Not with the signposts and lampposts situated as they are. It's probably possible, but very difficult, for a Tesla to back up far enough to plug in to one of these. In cold weather, it would likely be very difficult to bend the cord in such a manner required to plug in. Also, if they installed parking bumper blocks like they normally do, the distance would most certainly be too far.

Reactions: essmd and MP3Mike
The orientation of the pedestal is probably by design. Look at the pictures of the recently opened Arlington TX SC and you will see they are oriented the same way. Good news for those traveling soon.

Not exactly. If you look at the pictures in that thread you can see that the pedestals are centered on the parking blocks. They aren't behind the curb with a light post that you would have to back into to get to the same spot. One way or another this site got screwed up.

Reactions: essmd
Arlington SC photo taken last weekend

Attachments

• IMG_1256.JPG
    IMG_1256.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 95
  • Informative
Reactions: jvonbokel
Have been planning past several months to drive to MEM from DAL this week. Looks like Hertz will be the solution.

I just did that route a few weeks ago, charged for a few hours at family in Hot Springs, a real battery-busting detour from the interstate with given significant elevation, and still had to hang out for a few hours at the Holiday Inn Little Rock on their HPWC at I think 50 amps.

There is a Tesla Owner who is building a Burger 21 in L.R., and offers an active 14-50 for charging also at 24 MPH charging rate. Might be an option while having a long meal or shopping somewhere nearby.

Unfortunately there is no other fast charging options at this time, not even a pay station.

Arkansas is definitely a "Dry Battery" state, for now.

I just think this pedestal orientation is conductive to those with bike racks or other small hitched items.

Conducive to that perhaps, which would be a ridiculous reason to align them this way.
I agree with all who think is will not be viable and was a complete fail by somebody.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drucifer
Conducive to that perhaps, which would be a ridiculous reason to align them this way.
I agree with all who think is will not be viable and was a complete fail by somebody.
A little premature, no?
Until someone tries this and shows (pics) that this is a "fail" I would say this is just a "different design" from what we're used to.
But generally, it just sounds like you've never had a bike rack or the like hitched to your car before.

This is an excellent positioning of the supercharger pedestal. it's out of the way! Especially for vehicles with bike racks etc. More importantly, access to the trunk is effortless with this pedestal configuration. Thank goodness the sign posts are well behind the vehicle. In other supercharging locations the sign posts are so close to the parking stall you can't even open up your trunk without hitting the sign post! The cable for charging is in perfect position for ease of use. About as close as you can get! ...and..What says TESLA better than a row of bright red Tesla supercharging pedestals to those traveling to access I-30 and I-430 :)
Now, for you locals...please get some more photos posted. Thank you!

Last edited:
I also was concerned with placement, and then the (above) mentioning that it is similar to Arlington SC gave me pause.
When I stopped and charged briefly at Arlington, I had *NO* problem charging or noticed any difference in cable tension/torsion.

Now I'm thinking this is the best layout for back-in superchargers for people with cargo/bike racks. I have no problem with this layout.

I've charged at a number of locations that have the pedestal behind a curb, they work just fine. I don't see that rotating the pedestal 90° will change that in anyway. In fact the two orientations I least prefer are pull-in and back-in where you end up between the pedestals. It may help reduce ICEing but it makes getting in and out of back doors difficult and parking can be very difficult. Tucumcari NM, and Wichita KS (picture lifted from supercharger.info) spring to mind as my least favorite chargers to park at.

IMG_0548.jpg

Reactions: snellenr
This is a kludge, but I used an image from Rancho Cucamonga to approximate whether the orientation could work. I left the "standard" charging post where it was, and then did my best to superimpose the fixed side of the "Arkansas" charger over the fixed side of the "standard". Like @ColBatGuano, I'm not a big fan of the drive-thru chargers layouts like Wichita..

FWIW... in any event, we'll know soon enough.

(edit - wordsmithing)

AR_Super_zpskci4tcjz.gif

I actually think the new arrangement makes sense

Now if they can only get the juice turned on, inspected, and then calibrated by Tesla This as taken a month at some places but we can always hope.
I really need that SC. No matter how the chargers are arranged I will be a happy camper.

Reactions: vrykolas