Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Lincoln City, OR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We and Otter plugged in tonight. Charging rate seemed a bit slower to me than other stations but it's up and running.

LC SC First1 8-18.jpg LC SC First2 8-18.jpg LC SC First3 8-18.jpgLC SC First4 8-18.jpg

Stopped by today, no other cars plugged in. We're getting good interaction and questions about EVs from passersby who are curious. UPS man stopped by to say be careful parking in 1A and 1B. Apparently somebody backed into the yellow posts around the mall sign behind those spaces. Have to agree this configuration deters ICEing or mall security is on top of it. There were up to 5 Teslas plugged in at one point over the weekend so it's going to be a popular supercharger.

Reactions: melindav
Apologies in advance for the double post. I had posted this in the Crescent City thread, but figured some people here might find it interesting or useful, so I'll re-post here:

"Just drove the entire Oregon coast using only Superchargers in a new Model S 90D. With Bandon not open yet, and having little experience driving the car, I was a little nervous about the 256 mile stretch from Lincoln City to Crescent City, but we made it with 50 miles to spare.

We started with a full charge in Lincoln City and didn't use A/C or heat the whole way which wasn't too bad since the outside temp hovered around 60F. The first half of the trip, I was driving 50mph or less (so going 5mph under the speed limit for long stretches), but once it became obvious we would make it, I went ahead and drove my usual 5pm over the speed limit at all times (so up to 60mph). Without using climate control, the windows fogged up a bit on occasion. In those cases, I would crack the sunroof for a minute or, if driving at slow speeds in a town, I would open one of the windows and the windows would clear up right away.

One interesting thing is that the Navigation did not recognize the Crescent City Supercharger at first, and then when I tried to simply navigate to Crescent City, it kept wanting to send me back to I-5 for the "safer route" (using Superchargers in Springfield and Grants Pass. But then once we got about half way and still had plenty of range, the Nav would send us down the coast to Crescent City and eventually when we got very close to CC, it did give us directions to the new Supercharger."

Nah I think there’s just two competing directions here
- mall has some minimum number of spots required, which necessitated keeping the charging spots as general parking rather than dedicated EV charging
- state requires that charging stations are actively used

The time limits are the same nationwide and equally unenforceable everywhere.

This isn't true. Different states have different laws on the topic.
Laws often reflect what the lawmakers were responding to - locally or more broadly.

I believe that this location has ample parking now so that the " 30 Minute General Parking" is probably unnecessary.
I have never seen the parking garage anywhere close to being full.
However, this "30 minute" might be what the SC team negotiated with the mall.
Hence the sign.

Or, it might be history impacting the current situation.
There are a couple of apartment complexes nearby that may have been antagonistic to the mall during its early days.
Parking situation in the area may have been bad before the garage was built.
And that might explain the need for such signage.

(History strangely, and often seemingly irrationally, affects what we do, individually and collectively.)

Nah I think there’s just two competing directions here
- mall has some minimum number of spots required, which necessitated keeping the charging spots as general parking rather than dedicated EV charging
- state requires that charging stations are actively used

The time limits are the same nationwide and equally unenforceable everywhere.
I think you misunderstood my point. The bottom sign needs to be there for any enforcement action to be legal. The top sign is there to set out under what conditions the property might seek such action. It's not about time limits per se being enforceable or not.

I think you misunderstood my point. The bottom sign needs to be there for any enforcement action to be legal. The top sign is there to set out under what conditions the property might seek such action. It's not about time limits per se being enforceable or not.

Either way it's an extremely confusing sign. As a general customer I would park there no problem for up to 30 minutes without being plugged in. As an EV owner needing a charge bad, I would see an unplugged car, be pissed, and then see that sign and think I could call and report them since they're not plugged in and the bottom sign looks more "official" by referencing an ORS section.

I'm also curious how they actually enforce this situation. There isn't a meter, so is it a "he said she said" type thing? The car could be parked there for hours, but if I call in when I show up and parking enforcement shows up 10 minutes later and someone strolls out and moves the car, do they get fined, or not since the car has only been observed to be there for 10 minutes (since time of call to when parking enforcement shows up).

That basically means it's 100% general parking as long as you can see the car from a window or something and keep an eye on it? I understand the hard and fast of "is the car plugged in or not" but this vague general parking for a set amount of time without being metered or anything seems impossible to enforce and then which sign does it default to? Because if I was honestly parked there for 10 minutes to run into a store for something and someone pulled up the moment I left my car to report and parking enforcement was lightning fast and issued a ticket right away, I would be furious and point to the 30 minute sign...

I feel like one of those should be removed... anyone care to contact OR and see what their official course of action would be?

Reactions: lensovet