Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Las Cruces, NM

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
As I mentioned over in the Supercharger - Santa Fe, NM thread, Tesla recently informed me they are making significant progress on the Las Cruces supercharger site.

I asked for clarification on what "significant progress" meant, and their reply was:

"Significant progress means that we have scouted for locations, approached a variety of property owners, and are either in negotiation or are working on construction drawings for the site. In fact, in Santa Fe, we are now awaiting permits for construction.
Again, the maps on our website are not a guarantee. While we are aiming to open as many sites as possible in 2016, it’s possible some sites in New Mexico will not open until 2017."

This to me is confirmation that there's going to be one in Las Cruces. So, here's a thread to track the ongoing development of the new Las Cruces Supercharger, which will finally open up Southern New Mexico to Tesla exploration. Can't WAIT!

UPDATE.

Well, a little sleuthing goes a long way. Just spoke to someone at the Hilton Garden Inn Las Cruces, and they confirmed that they are in negotiations with Tesla to build a Supercharger on their site. Emphasis on "in negotiations" meaning nothing is finalized and there are no permits yet.

However, this is a pretty good indication that this is where the Las Cruces site might ultimately wind up. This hotel is right near New Mexico State University, and a few minutes from the junction of I-25 and I-10, so that should make east/westbound I-10 travelers happy. Still gonna need some more sites in Southern New Mexico, but this is very encouraging. Probably MONTHS away however.

If I find any more info I'll post an update here.

lascruces.jpg

UPDATE.

Well, a little sleuthing goes a long way. Just spoke to someone at the Hilton Garden Inn Las Cruces, and they confirmed that they are in negotiations with Tesla to build a Supercharger on their site. Emphasis on "in negotiations" meaning nothing is finalized and there are no permits yet.

However, this is a pretty good indication that this is where the Las Cruces site might ultimately wind up. This hotel is right near New Mexico State University, and a few minutes from the junction of I-25 and I-10, so that should make east/westbound I-10 travelers happy. Still gonna need some more sites in Southern New Mexico, but this is very encouraging. Probably MONTHS away however.

View attachment 200423

Thanks for the sleuthing! We've made the trek from California to Las Cruces along I10 for the past three years by charging at a hotel in Tucson and at an RV park in Wilcox so I'm glad to hear there is finally some supercharger progress on I10. This particular charger won't help us all that much because it is so close to our destination. But Tesla seems to be adding charges along the same route in rapid succession so the chances of getting the rest of the route completed in 2017 just went up a lot!

It would still be a metaphorical supercharger desert between Albuquerque and las cruces. The really need a super charger in between.

Socorro, NM is an obvious place, but it's 150 miles from Las Cruces, NM. So I would expect Tesla to want one in Truth or Consequences, NM as well. In fact, even if they didn't need one there, I'd not expect them to pass up such a cool location name. (Socorro and Truth or Consequences both have HIEs.)

UPDATE.

View attachment 200423

Update:

Spoke to hotel today. Apparently they put the whole supercharger idea on hold :-( but my inquiry triggered renewed interest.

Translated: nothing has happened at this site. Or, the person I communicated with doesn't know actual status. I suspect the former. Am awaiting more details.

Looks like there's a permit application in process in El Paso, so it seems much less likely there will be anything in Las Cruces. See this thread.

Who knows. I think the Supercharger location in El Paso is 90 miles from Deming and 107 miles from T or C, so certainly they could do without a Las Cruces location, but there IS a marker there on the map, as well as the other two.

Reactions: Tyl
Looks like there's a permit application in process in El Paso, so it seems much less likely there will be anything in Las Cruces. See this thread.

Las Cruces, NM is 160-odd miles from Van Horn, TX, so they were always going to need _something_ in between.

The Tesla 2017 map seems to show Wilcox, NM and Deming, NM between Casa Grande, AZ and El Paso, TX.

Rough distances:
Casa Grande, AZ
147 miles - Wilcox, NM
135 miles - Deming, NM
87.6 miles - El Paso, TX
131 miles - Van Horn, TX

Now, picking a location in a Las Cruces, NM retail area gives
Wilcox, NM
194 miles - Las Cruces, NM
161 miles - Van Horn, TX

For I-25 Tesla's map shows maybe Truth or Consequences, NM and Socorro, NM:
El Paso, TX
109 miles - Truth or Consequences, NM
72.7 miles - Socorro, NM
77.5 miles - Albuquerque, NM
54.0 miles - Santa Fe, NM
71.7 miles - Las Vegas, NM

Add in Las Cruces, NM and people could skip Truth or Consequences, NM:
Las Cruces, NM
151 miles - Socorro, NM

So, although not _necessary_, I think that being at the I-10/I-25 intersection Las Cruces, NM could have some pretty good "skip" value, especially for cars with larger batteries.