Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I could not get the charger in the parking garage downtown Kerrville to activate. Don't know why.
This is old info: 15 months or so, anybody have an update?
I have used it a couple of times with no problem, but it has been a year since I used it last. It is pretty low power (215V 30a.) and is within easy round trip to my house, so no real need.

Looking at Plugshare, it was successfully used in June. It is frequently in use by a Volt, so it seems that if there were a problem they would have had it fixed so they could get their subsidized free charging.

.......and it only gets worse.

I’ve been stuck in Ozona this afternoon with slow SC pedestals. Charge starts at 112kW but quickly tapers to 35-20 kW. This is a 100kWh battery at 21%. I have now reported this SC three times and it still not fixed. One pedestal here is continually ICEd. Of the remaining pedestals the only one that will sustain a high charge rate is 1A - the one reserved for disabled access.

If you are heading west you will need pretty close to 100% to get to VanHorn or desinations south of Balmorhea.

Will check Fort Stockton after I finish charging here in Ozona - perhaps by midnight if I am lucky.

• Informative
Reactions: DriverOne
.......and it only gets worse.

I’ve been stuck in Ozona this afternoon with slow SC pedestals. Charge starts at 112kW but quickly tapers to 35-20 kW. This is a 100kWh battery at 21%. I have now reported this SC three times and it still not fixed. One pedestal here is continually ICEd. Of the remaining pedestals the only one that will sustain a high charge rate is 1A - the one reserved for disabled access.

If you are heading west you will need pretty close to 100% to get to VanHorn or desinations south of Balmorhea.

Will check Fort Stockton after I finish charging here in Ozona - perhaps by midnight if I am lucky.
This is the same type of behavior the supercharger in Midland exhibited when I was there. El Paso has been the only supercharger that works consistently well in West Texas.

Ozona air temp was 117 degrees - might have something to do with it. Or not.

I do not know if it helps, but as soon as I plug in with HIGH Temps I wrap the handle with a Microfiber cloth that I carry around for this. First I wet it good, wrap it around the handle, then slowly add more water until it drips off. Then every 5 or 10 minutes I will add more water. It does keep the handle cooler so maybe it allows the higher charge rate. Would be interesting to check when you find the rate go from 112 kW down to 35-20kW. Wet the cloth, disconnect the handle, wrap it, then plug back in and keep the cloth wet. Let us know if it works.

I have only a 75kWh battery so it starts at 96kW or so, but it seems to hold a higher charge until I am ready to go, even in 115*f temp.

I do not know if it helps, but as soon as I plug in with HIGH Temps I wrap the handle with a Microfiber cloth that I carry around for this. First I wet it good, wrap it around the handle, then slowly add more water until it drips off. Then every 5 or 10 minutes I will add more water. It does keep the handle cooler so maybe it allows the higher charge rate. Would be interesting to check when you find the rate go from 112 kW down to 35-20kW. Wet the cloth, disconnect the handle, wrap it, then plug back in and keep the cloth wet. Let us know if it works.

I have only a 75kWh battery so it starts at 96kW or so, but it seems to hold a higher charge until I am ready to go, even in 115*f temp.
Wow, you sir, are either a genius with American Indian Medicine man spirit, or alternatively, the crazy germophobe guy at the supercharger talking to himself whilst he pours evian bottled water on the water handle..... unfortunately, both cannot simultaneously be true. :)

Wow, you sir, are either a genius with American Indian Medicine man spirit, or alternatively, the crazy germophobe guy at the supercharger talking to himself whilst he pours evian bottled water on the water handle..... unfortunately, both cannot simultaneously be true. :)
I'm not sure my brain would allow my hand to pour water on an electrical connection.:eek: Perfectly safe, I'm sure. Or is that plug still in beta? I'll go check the manual...

• Funny
Reactions: plumazul
I'm not sure my brain would allow my hand to pour water on an electrical connection.:eek: Perfectly safe, I'm sure. Or is that plug still in beta? I'll go check the manual...

It's like the movie "The Christmas Story" combined with National Lampoons Christmas Vacation with the House Lights..... except much much more tragic.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
As long as it is safe to Supercharge in the rain, it is safe to pour water on the handle.

Not sure of the Medicine Man spirit, and I strictly abide by the 5-second rule for food dropped on the floor or ground (unless I am not quick enough so I get automatic extensions up to 15 seconds) so the germophobe does not apply, but I am often fondly spoken about as being crazy.

In either case, I am still waiting on the SPARK OF KNOWLEDGE to let me know I should no longer pour water on the charging handle.

Now, back on topic: I am still waiting on a Supercharger in Fort Stockton so I can apply my ingenious idea of wrapping the hot charging handle in a cold, wet, towel to keep it cool in 117*f temps.

Now for the use of Dry Ice, I think someone needs to design and 3D-Print a plastic Dry Ice case that snaps around the charging handle so we could just remove it from our cooler in the trunk, snap it around the charging handle and enjoy Lightning Speeds of charge in temps above 80*f.

Last edited:
I looked at getting a custom fortune cookie made, but they only allow 70 characters. It cut off "in the rain", so the profundity was lost.

But It DOES Haiku.
Take THAT, Fortana StockTick!
Last line must have Five.

Use distilled water.
It is a poor conductor.
Would you not ...super?

Last edited:
Fifty-eight pages and counting for a non-existent, but highly anticipated and needed Supercharger location. This must be a world and Olympic, not to mention Guinness record.

Apparently Tesla does not subscribe to the platitude about squeaky wheels and grease.