Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it makes some sense as there are several grids in the US
FERC: Electric Power Markets - National Overview

Sure needs redoing someday - before 2050 I'd say.

Those are markets not grids, there are only 4 grids in the US.

Eastern Interconnection
Main article: Eastern Interconnection
The Eastern Interconnection is one of the two major alternating-current (AC) electrical grids in North America.

Western Interconnection
Main article: Western Interconnection
The Western Interconnection is the other major alternating current (AC) power grid in North America.

Texas Interconnection

Main article: Texas Interconnection
The Texas Interconnection is one of the three minor alternating current (AC) power grids in North America.

Alaska Interconnection
Main article: Alaska Interconnection
The Alaska Interconnection is one of the three minor alternating-current (AC) electrical grids in North America.

and so if you read that far you might ask what is the 3rd minor one in North America, well that is Quebec. The rest of Canada is on the Eastern or Western Interconnection.

227 Miles from Ozona to Van Horn Supercharger. A LR Model 3 fully charged (310miles) should make it, no?
Basically what butta shrimp said.

There's a large elevation change working against you and if you drive the 80mph speed limit, you probably wouldn't make it. You need everything he mentioned plus the ability to perform simple math functions on the fly while driving with no margin for error. If it's winter and "cold," then it becomes extremely difficult even for the patient and mathematically competent.

Hmm.. i was under the impression that a 310 mile range car can do 227 in most conditions even under elevation changes (remember there is no place in US where there is 210 miles of continuous upward gradient). Except perhaps under subzero weather with heavy head winds it could become challenging.

I posted earlier in the forum about our adventure in the s p100d with the “315” mile range. Full charge at Ozona. 27 degree weather. Started at about 60 mph, then 55, then 50 for much of the trip. About 40 miles from van horn, got confident enough to increase speed to 70 mph and turned cabin and seat heat back on. Arrived at van horn supercharger with 30 miles left. It’s obvious that I would have blown through this buffer if I had started the trip driving any faster. Not an experience I’d like to repeat.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and tmoz
I posted earlier in the forum about our adventure in the s p100d with the “315” mile range. Full charge at Ozona. 27 degree weather. Started at about 60 mph, then 55, then 50 for much of the trip. About 40 miles from van horn, got confident enough to increase speed to 70 mph and turned cabin and seat heat back on. Arrived at van horn supercharger with 30 miles left. It’s obvious that I would have blown through this buffer if I had started the trip driving any faster. Not an experience I’d like to repeat.

Welp....I guess I'm making a detour thru Midland. =/

Cold weather is the only thing that sends chills down buttershrimp’s hypermiling spine. All else is doable.

Welp....I guess I'm making a detour thru Midland. =/
If you have a 100 kWh pack or a LR model 3... you owe it to yourself to try. Nothing focuses the mind like a hypermiling trip. It’s fun and doable (just not quick), and it makes you think like a hiker survivalist.... I’m pretty sure it’s the modern day equivalent of making a fire with sticks. Anyway, use the inRoute app to account for last minute weather and wind changes, be prepared to shove those yeti ice packs in your pits because that ac is a drain. Music is negligible (enjoy), watch your Wh/mi.... it is all that truly matters. Don’t forget caffeine and tire plug kit . Go for it.

f you have a 100 kWh pack or a LR model 3... you owe it to yourself to try. Nothing focuses the mind like a hypermiling trip. It’s fun and doable (just not quick), and it makes you think like a hiker survivalist.... I’m pretty sure it’s the modern day equivalent of making a fire with sticks

As funny as these observations are, it is true. I have done hypermiling at 95F with no AC and didn't break a sweat - figuratively. I can manage, elevation, hot weather, head winds

But NOT cold weather. Because there is nothing you can do to battle cold weather. Slowing down only helps so much. Cold weather delivers a double whammy blow - it reduces the battery capacity, so you cannot fill it to maximum. And it increases consumption rate (high air drag due to increased density at low temps), even if you drive like a turtle.

As funny as these observations are, it is true. I have done hypermiling at 95F with no AC and didn't break a sweat - figuratively. I can manage, elevation, hot weather, head winds

But NOT cold weather. Because there is nothing you can do to battle cold weather. Slowing down only helps so much. Cold weather delivers a double whammy blow - it reduces the battery capacity, so you cannot fill it to maximum. And it increases consumption rate (high air drag due to increased density at low temps), even if you drive like a turtle.
I hypermiled in the Prius one summer (in Phoenix) to eke out a 710 mile tank of gas - got 70+ mpg. Drove like an 80 yr old grandpa (below the speed limit - right lane on freeways - etc.) , but with the windows up. It was not fun. Decided that going for an 800 mile tank was not worth it.

Last edited:
Midland, not the Iraan Energy House?

Free Clipper CS-100 with 70 Amp Level 2
10 score on Plugshare: "Worked great. Current fluctuated between 39 and 40 amps on my model S with the single charger. 28 mi/hr. I topped up going from Ozona to Van Horn supercharger. My S60 can't make that haul without going 40 mph the whole way."

Cute Story From Before Any Of These WT Superchargers
Iraan, Fort Stockton RV Park, Balmorhea all three have decent charging by traditional standards and their very existence allows one to drive in "Appropriate West Texas Tesla Style".
For me AWTTS is defined as 90 mph because that is as high as EAP can work. So what if I must stop in all three of these entertaining places? One MUST learn all about Ira and Ann.:D
Each of these three are places you'd probably never see were it not for charging, and all three allow enough time to learn more about these unusual places.