Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tmoz: yep

Does anybody know anything about the Executive Escalation process?

I wasn't able to PM you for some reason....

If it turns out that Tesla or TNMP are having trouble finding affordable contractors since those areas are so remote I operate an electrical contractor based out of Andrews, TX. Our principal electrician lives in Carlsbad, NM. If you manage to get in touch with Tesla or TNMP we might be able to help. My company is Endless Energy, our TECL is 33040. Fully bonded and insured.

How many Power Walls does it take to feed a bank of two Superchargers (just for starters).
How many solar panels does it take to feed those Power Walls?
Is 1/2 an acre enough? TBD Benson, Fort Stockton, TX 79735, US

You would use Powerpacks not Powerwalls. ;)

Which if I recall correctly are rated for 50kW/200kWh each. So you would need 3 Powerpacks to be able to support the 120kW charging rate, and when the Powerpacks were full you would be able to charge about 6 100D vehicles from empty to full.

We know that Elon said he would sell Powerpacks in bulk at $250/kWh + inverters/installation, which seems to double the cost. So you would be looking at about $150k for the minimal Powerpack portion alone.

As far as sizing the solar you have to determine how many cars you want to be able to charge per day. (And how many over night.)

If you wanted to be able to power one car, 120kW, directly from the sun you would need about 340 panels, that would take just over 6,000 sq. feet. (~.14 acres)

So yeah, half an acre would probably be big enough for a small off-grid Supercharger site.

Last edited:
Crowdsourced design and implementation in action. As opposed to corporate inaction.

It’s a beautiful thing.

Completion of this last remaining transcontinental connection point with the first 100% solar/Powerpack SC would be an equally beautiful thing to see.

Which Tesla executive would champion this, I wonder? There’s a spiffy golden spike in it for him or her if they do. Their name might even make it onto the commemorative plaque at the site. Now that’s incentive right there.

We’re going to need a bigger plaque at this rate.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Hard to tell... is this the first supercharger in their service area? It wouldn't surprise me if TNMP is being unreasonable; I've never had to deal with PNM but I've read about some of their shenanigans in NM from the rate case docs. They seem to be on par with SPS and SPS is absolutely terrible...

Since Pecos is also TNMP I'm guessing it's not looking good for that SC either.....

Time for Elon to start a shell company called 'Not-Tesla' then he request service to 'Not A Supercharger' :)

View attachment 312386
What are the yellow splotches on the map?

I believe the TNMP service area is an artifact of acquisitions made well before deregulation. Dereg made huge changes to the retail market but few changes to the companies (TXU, TNMP, Reliant) that maintain the wires in their historical service areas.
https://www.bounceenergy.com/articles/texas-electricity/texas-new-mexico-power
Nice link! They say "most" of Texas has been deregulated. I was surprised to see that many areas have not been claimed yet, even though the population density in those areas is probably near zero.

and ...
Not to be confused with ERCOT
FERC: Electric Power Markets - Texas

Nice link! They say "most" of Texas has been deregulated. I was surprised to see that many areas have not been claimed yet, even though the population density in those areas is probably near zero.

and ...
I actually got the names of the TDSPs wrong--those are the old regulated utility names. Should have been Oncor, etc.

In the category, "The More You Know," here's a piece on why Texas has its own grid: Texplainer: Why Does Texas Have Its Own Power Grid?

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
Arizona power area looks less like swiss cheese except for APS
http://www.azcc.gov/Divisions/Utilities/Electric/elect.pdf
Footnote: last post because this is getting a little off topic, but I didn't realize there were only 3 grids in the US and Canada (ignoring the two minor ones near Alaska and Quebec). Note the dashed lines - not the colored states. I thought the FERCs were the grid regions, but that is not true. That is interesting history on the Texas grid.
Continental U.S. power transmission grid - Wikipedia
It is amazing that more blackouts don't happen considering that there is basically no storage on the grids. Unused spinning reserves are used as storage (fired up gas plants that are not connected until they are needed for example) but their response time is relatively slow. Thus the attraction of battery storage.

and ...
Most of rural Texas is served by Co-ops. These are unregulated by state law. They can pretty much do whatever they want and charge whatever they want. They are a monopoly and state law forbids anyone to compete with them.

Most of rural Texas is served by Co-ops. These are unregulated by state law. They can pretty much do whatever they want and charge whatever they want. They are a monopoly and state law forbids anyone to compete with them.

So how many Texans does it take to create a car charging co-op?

It sounds like another one of my Dad Jokes but it isn’t.

• Funny
Reactions: XHabjab and Dr. J