Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Flatonia, TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A google search this morning brought up this nugget:

The Amigo’s Travel Center in Flatonia, which opened for business last week, will soon get a charging station for Tesla electric cars.

Flatonia City Manager Mark McLaughlin told the Record last week that the owners of Amigo’s reached a deal with Tesla to bring a charging station in Flatonia.

The article goes on to say that it will have 8 stations, so that would be a supercharger. The site is the northeast corner of I-10 and FM609.

While more superchargers are always good, I also wonder why here? I can't think of any travel need that this addresses. I've never seen Columbus more than half full and I'm often the only car there. Being further west than the highway 71 exit it's useless for traffic to/from Austin. It's too far from Junction to allow traffic to pass through San Antonio on I-10 without having to stop at the superchargers which will be built at the service center.

odd - the article says that Columbus can only charge two vehicles at once.
I'm pretty sure its got six stalls, not two.
The reporter got a fact wrong? When has that ever happens before?
It's unlikely he's ever seen a Tesla or a supercharger. Probably was confused by someone telling him each supercharger (the actual supercharger cabinet) charges two cars, and he mistook that for the supercharger station in Columbus.

The reporter got a fact wrong? When has that ever happens before?
It's unlikely he's ever seen a Tesla or a supercharger. Probably was confused by someone telling him each supercharger (the actual supercharger cabinet) charges two cars, and he mistook that for the supercharger station in Columbus.
I'm thinking more along the lines of them installing a bunch of L2 and not superchargers and the press getting the wrong idea.

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I'm thinking more along the lines of them installing a bunch of L2 and not superchargers and the press getting the wrong idea.

The article never calls them "superchargers" at all, but with 8 of them it almost certainly is a supercharger installation. I would figure this is an opportunistic installation, where a property owner makes it easy for Tesla so they go ahead with it. I don't know how busy Columbus is, but sites with less than 8 superchargers will need to be supplemented soon anyway to prevent congestion.

No that doesn't make any sense at all. Level 2 at nowheresville on I-10? The press gets things wrong but not that wrong. This is a supercharger.
Agreed - and since @BerTX pointed out, it looks like its one of the "coming in 2017" ones from the Tesla map.

as an aside, I resemble your remark suggesting my posts have to make sense, that's just outrageous.
This board has a solid history of nonsensical posts and I'm happy to continue that tradition or else my sig wouldn't make sense either :)

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yeah, this is a weird spot. Luling or Seguin might make more sense if Tesla feels like they need something closer to San Antonio. I use the Columbus SpC quite a bit and I've only ever seen it full once, and that was on a holiday weekend. Over the long term I'd like to see SpC's every 30 to 50 miles, but let's fill in some of the bigger gaps first please!

Reactions: BerTX