Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erwin, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bad. I selected Binghampton by mistake... Thats pretty easy in any weather as you said...

Yes that is too much hence this awesome future option. Recent weather has been giving me 250wh mi. I could, theoretically, do 300 miles with that.

Anything below 290s is exceeding rated range, so I've not stressed about most routes but i86 was in need of love. I'd prefer another around Olean if possible just to give more options on stops.

Erwin site is close. I work just up the hill and have monitored since the Erwin "pin" showed up. 10 bays located at a Dunkin Donuts.
IMG_20170619_092142-03.jpeg

Erwin site is close. I work just up the hill and have monitored since the Erwin "pin" showed up. 10 bays located at a Dunkin Donuts.<photo>

Looks like there's an empty slab with protective posts waiting patiently in the background..
Just needs the transformer and meter there?
(It seems that that type of setup has one post they can remove when they're putting it in.)

I'm planning a trip to Alfred, NY next week in my S90D. Since it looks doubtful that Erwin will be open, I'll be doing a full charge at Binghampton. After staying overnight in Alfred, we plan to head over to Erie, PA. My planning shows that Binghampton to Alfred is 131 miles and then Alfred to Erie is 142 miles, which is a bit tight. (I haven't been able to run it through EVTripplanner which seems to be down at the moment.)

Plugshare shows various Level 2 chargers along the route, including:

Olean - 2 J1772's at Kohl's
Salamanca - City Hall J1772 and Allegany State Park NEMA 14-50
Jamestown - a couple of different locations with J1772's

My plan is to stop in Olean and charge for an hour or two, with Salamanca and Jamestown as back ups.

I'm wondering if I could make it without the Level 2 charging. I'm not averse to a challenge - I did a day trip from NJ to Boston back in 2013 when the only Supercharger was in Milford, CT. I did Las Vegas to Beaver, UT back before St Georges was open without using any level 2's in between, both in an S85 and I've done Winnipeg to Regina to Saskatoon to Calgary without benefit of SpC's.

The limiting factor is my wife, who is not going to be happy seeing 10 miles of range to spare on a 142 mile trip, plus I've heard it can be windy up in that area.

Does anyone have any experience of this trip and any helpful suggestions? Which Level 2's are good or bad etc?

I did note that there's a J1772 at Alfred State College, which despite it's name, is in Wellsville, about 15 miles from where we are staying in Alfred. I'd have to do two hours of charging just to make up for the round trip before I get any benefit from that, and I'd run the risk of it not working or being unavailable, which is too bad.

I'm planning a trip to Alfred, NY next week in my S90D...I did note that there's a J1772 at Alfred State College, which despite it's name, is in Wellsville, about 15 miles from where we are staying in Alfred. I'd have to do two hours of charging just to make up for the round trip before I get any benefit from that, and I'd run the risk of it not working or being unavailable, which is too bad.

Would 110v charging overnight in Alfred make the difference?

Looks like there's an empty slab with protective posts waiting patiently in the background..
Just needs the transformer and meter there?
(It seems that that type of setup has one post they can remove when they're putting it in.)

Wanted to follow up to this comment. Below is an image I should have also posted of what was "behind" the view of the original. Looks like they will put a roof over it with the unfilled cement tubes? NYSEG was there this morning doing something to the adjacent lines. To be continued...
IMG_20170623_093215-01.jpeg

New view of SCs with aesthetic rocks and "coming soon" covers.
IMG_20170623_093208-01.jpeg

Wanted to follow up to this comment. Below is an image I should have also posted of what was "behind" the view of the original. Looks like they will put a roof over it with the unfilled cement tubes? NYSEG was there this morning doing something to the adjacent lines. To be continued...View attachment 232455
New view of SCs with aesthetic rocks and "coming soon" covers.
View attachment 232456

The new "coming soon" bags are great!

Yes, encourage curiosity in the general public!!